NEWS

First time GM

• 39 Replies

Garrzira

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-28-15/1350:35> »
A player just asked me a question and i wanna know if i'm correct
 She asked if the armor rating is the rating that has a 6 max at character creation. I told her yes.
but that means only armored clothing is available at start
is this correct or did i flub the ruling ?

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #16 on: <09-28-15/1412:58> »
Armor isn't covered under that one.  Things like rating of a medkit or comm unit, yes (things where the rating runs 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7 +)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-28-15/1414:35> »
A player just asked me a question and i wanna know if i'm correct
 She asked if the armor rating is the rating that has a 6 max at character creation. I told her yes.
but that means only armored clothing is available at start
is this correct or did i flub the ruling ?
You Flubbed ! :)
The Armor Rating is not the rating thats capped at 6.(my Tip is to call it Armor Value to to avoid confusion )
You need to look at the Availiability Though.
A Comlinks Device Rating (or a Maglock  opener , or a Sequencer) that is the Rating thats capped at 6

with an uncapped Dance
Medicineman

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Garrzira

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-28-15/2149:52> »
Awesome ! i will call and let her know

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-28-15/2311:12> »
The other one to watch out for is bows, although they go up to 10, a 6 is the highest you can get a chargen. It's an edge case I know, but something that could trip up an orc or troll archer.
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Garrzira

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-29-15/2215:46> »
So for our first session(remember once a month or less) I was thinking about having them actually start right before a job... Like all the legwork was done by the npc's that hired them(Decker and face) I figured its a good way for them all to meet and avoid splitting the party for some legwork stuff(mage astrally scouting) and the benefit of jumping right into the cool stuff maybe let them choose one of a few options the face lays out... Is this a good idea or stupid ?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <09-30-15/0210:21> »
If most of them are new to the game, then doing a run or two sans legwork can be helpful to prevent overload.

The Beginners Box Alphaware Pack has a book called Plots and Paydata that has some really great beginners runs with minimal legwork that expose the players to a variety of run styles. Even though I'm in a large group I've been running my players through this as almost all of us are new to Shadowrun... it is designed for a set of pregen characters so any well made group will probably smash through them fairly easily, but they do a great job of familiarizing the players and GM with the rules and types of runs they can get into.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

revan.be

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <09-30-15/1616:29> »
could you please provide a link to what you mean by beginner box?
I thought the beginner box for SR5 had only the abreviated rules and an adventure food fight ,
as well as was out of print like the core rulebook was.
SR5 archetypesof all races needed , add art male/female art if possible http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12881.30

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-30-15/1923:01> »
could you please provide a link to what you mean by beginner box?
I thought the beginner box for SR5 had only the abreviated rules and an adventure food fight ,
as well as was out of print like the core rulebook was.

Yeah the Beginner's Box doesn't have much, it's more the Runner's Toolkit Alphaware that has Plots and Paydata.

http://drivethrurpg.com/product/125721/Shadowrun-Digital-Tools-Box?src=hottest_filtered&filters=0_0_1700_0_0&manufacturers_id=2216

If you're at all familiar with Shadowrun I wouldn't bother... but it is a nice set of runs for people completely new to the game.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Garrzira

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <09-30-15/1927:00> »
I am going to get a few pdfs tonight. I was thinking alphaware, run faster and maybe data trails...or do you think street grimoire is better ? Or maybe just a totally different list haha

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <09-30-15/1937:11> »
It's really going to depend on group composition.

Gun H(e)avan 3 is a good one for random guns, many of the are crap yes, great weapons for tossing over to gangers and such.

Run & Gun is a solid all round option. Weapons, armor and martial arts are useful to all archetypes.

Run Faster... it has a lot of cool stuff, but it also pushes the boundaries and complexity. So it may not be a great option if there's a lot of new players.

Street Grimoire is a good option if you've got Awakaned characters. Vastly expands on Traditions as well as adding in a ton of new sells and adept powers, as well as a few new spirit types.

Shadow Spells once again expands options for traditions, spells and adept powers.

Lockdown is a bit of an odd one, it has some new stuff like Cyberware Suits, but it's a bit of an edge case.

Data Trails is good if you've got a hacker int he team, especially a decker. If not, well there is some new electronics and software but most of it is focused around new things deckers and technomancers can do.

Chrome Flesh is pretty much a must have if you've got heavily augmented characters, not only does it contain a pile of new cyberware and bioware, it also adds genetech and nanoware. On top of all that there's new qualities that are great for augmentation focused characters as well as a greatly expanded drugs selection.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Garrzira

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <09-30-15/1952:45> »
awesome thanks, now, i am from DnD are splat books as bad with power creep in shadowrun ?

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <09-30-15/1958:04> »
awesome thanks, now, i am from DnD are splat books as bad with power creep in shadowrun ?

They're not too bad. It's mostly about adding new options, cost, availability and essence do a good job of reigning in top of the line gear.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Garrzira

• Newb
« Reply #28 on: <09-30-15/2243:20> »
Ok, I'm looking through the jobs rewards stuff in the core book, and i have a question
So it all makes sense for modifiers and all... but how do you work iit into the story, i mean if the team is meeting Mr.Johnson does he tell them what the job pays ? if so what if they dont face off against that highest dice pool ? or does he say here is what the job pays and handling it in a professional manner will give you a bonus ?
 I ask because i know my players well, and they wont take a job with money promised without a specific number.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <09-30-15/2248:42> »
Basically you use the job rewards section to work out how much the job pays, you just don't tell the players what the calculations are that make up that amount.

If there's only a chance of them coming across something that would bring the rewards up a bracket, well that's why people carry cretsticks. So that the GM can up the reward for the increased potential challenge, without giving it away with the job payment.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor