NEWS

GMing Style

• 61 Replies

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #60 on: <05-03-11/2337:44> »
Now I just have to make my players realize just how much I hate number-crunching. "No, seriously, tell me about your character! Stop reading me the stats! I donīt care how you managed to get that skill that high, Iīm sure you didnīt cheat so just get over it and tell me about her! Where does she live? Nonono! DON`T give me the lifestyle-ranks! Sheeesh..." Theyīre really having trouble...

Oh, man! I can relate. Nowadays when this comes up, I deflect them to the one player who really cares about that kind of thing. :) As long as everyone's happy, I don't care about the details.
There's a balance between stats and character that shifts from player to player.

I like both stats and character to be handed to me so that I can get an idea of what sort of PC and player I'm dealing with:
A) Are they more interested in stats or story? This lets me tailor how I deal with the player, and gives hints as to what they will/won't enjoy at the table, so I can also tailor the campaign
B) Have they taken NQ/PQ's that I need to be aware of (as they mechanically affect NPC attitudes and/or threat levels)
C) Have they got stories with plot points begging to be utilised in-game?

If you read between the lines, Players will give a lot of hints through their PC build...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Canticle

• Chummer
  • Chinese Take-out
« Reply #61 on: <05-04-11/1107:26> »
Now I just have to make my players realize just how much I hate number-crunching. "No, seriously, tell me about your character! Stop reading me the stats! I donīt care how you managed to get that skill that high, Iīm sure you didnīt cheat so just get over it and tell me about her! Where does she live? Nonono! DON`T give me the lifestyle-ranks! Sheeesh..." Theyīre really having trouble...

Oh, man! I can relate. Nowadays when this comes up, I deflect them to the one player who really cares about that kind of thing. :) As long as everyone's happy, I don't care about the details.
There's a balance between stats and character that shifts from player to player.

I like both stats and character to be handed to me so that I can get an idea of what sort of PC and player I'm dealing with:
A) Are they more interested in stats or story? This lets me tailor how I deal with the player, and gives hints as to what they will/won't enjoy at the table, so I can also tailor the campaign
B) Have they taken NQ/PQ's that I need to be aware of (as they mechanically affect NPC attitudes and/or threat levels)
C) Have they got stories with plot points begging to be utilised in-game?

If you read between the lines, Players will give a lot of hints through their PC build...

Building the characters with the PCs is the best way to get a handle on it. I was teaching my two new players how to do it and it took four hours, but the process of learning their abilities was worth it.
Keeping a photocopy of the PCs sheets and having them gives the GM a good idea of what they can and cannot do. Since everyone has real life, making the PCs write down a couple sentences about their character including: 'why am I here, why am I a shadowrunner, where did I find my crew, and what do I want' help determine plot points in addition to the qualities. I also force players to make up a list of 'traits' about their character.
Our gun bunny is self conscious and somewhat shy and ashamed of his obvious cyberarms; he wears a leather jacket and gloves to cover up his augmentations. That is outside of the mechanical aspect of the game, but provides role-play opportunities.