NEWS

Smart Firing Platform

• 14 Replies

Kazordan

• Newb
« on: <12-29-10/0850:18> »
I am not sure this is the right forum for this, but I couldn't figure out where else to post this.  I am playing a TechnoRigger in a campaign, and I was thinking about the smart firing platform.  How are these used by players in a game?  It says the platform is non-mobile, so what use can it have for a player?  Some thoughts I was having were:

1. Can it be mounted to a drone?  (I am thinking that it cannot, hence it would be a weapon mount)
2. Can a drone, with the proper modifications, move the platform in the field of battle?  Maybe a flying drone with a winch could "drop" it into place and then the rigger could use actions to fire a weapon from it in addition to his drones?
3. Is it something that as a rigger, I would just place inside my vehicle for defense should something get inside my van (even though I am in a cocoon)?
4. Can you purchase autosofts for the platform to give it life, sort of like a drone?

I was just wondering how these have been used in the game by players to see if its something worth investing in.

Thanks in advance for your input.

joe15552

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-29-10/1150:53> »
If I was creating a new character and wanted to use the smart firing platform, I would try to mount in on the inside of my GMC Bulldog Step-Van. Open the side door and BLAMMO! Of course, you would need to have some skill in infiltration to keep the weapon system hidden in the van while not in use, and good piloting to maneuver the van into a good firing position.

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #2 on: <12-29-10/1508:38> »
The way i have read it from day one is that is a stationary drone.

The one thing that never have been clear about it (tho this also applies for the tripod and bipod) is whether it can be collapsed along the length of the gun for transport or not. If one can then one could carry the whole setup using a shoulder strap. And when trouble shows up, deploy and take cover.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <12-30-10/1204:50> »
Think of it like the drone guns in half life  they get put in position by someone and then guard a area.

For a rigger they can be handy if you need to leave your meat body somewhere as you can quickly stash a couple nearby and use them as support. Granted not as good as full drones but they have flavour
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Kazordan

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <12-30-10/1501:54> »
So, in theory, you could maybe have a drone drop the platform in the field of battle and use it via the smartlink in my glasses?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <12-30-10/1736:02> »
So, in theory, you could maybe have a drone drop the platform in the field of battle and use it via the smartlink in my glasses?

The drone dropping it maybe -  sounds like a custom release and drop isnt the same as put down and set up.

As for using through your smart link its a drone to be comanded so you will use your commlink like any other device you need to connect to to command
"Didnt anyone tell you as security school to geek the mage first?"  "I guess I will just have to educate you with a introduction to my boomstick"

Kazordan

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <12-30-10/2141:57> »
Ah.  Well, I was wondering what uses it had, specifically for my technorigger.  If anything, I think it is best suited to sit inside my van and provide me some protection if someone does break into it while I am busy, :)

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <12-31-10/0330:06> »
I like the idea of dropping one or two to give you some covering fire, given they are smaller then most firearm armed drones they have the possibility of being setup and hidden giving them a chance to suprise people. But depending on what you like a couple of full drones might be more useful in the long run.

Nomad Zophiel

• Omae
  • Zophiel by name. Nomad by profession.
« Reply #8 on: <12-31-10/0552:29> »
I think they're designed less for the rigger in the field and more for the corpsec rigger. Think of that scene in Aliens where they set up the smart turrets with motion sensors to block the corridor. Now replace a horde of rushing xenomorphs with your party.

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <12-31-10/0601:25> »
Although I did once think about strapping one to the back of the troll sam so he had someone literally watching his back

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #10 on: <12-31-10/0617:57> »
Although I did once think about strapping one to the back of the troll sam so he had someone literally watching his back
Bah, have him carry the dwarf hacker in a backpack (or maybe one of those child carry rigs).
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Lansdren

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <12-31-10/0842:37> »
My mage was once carried over the shoulder by our Troll when we were making a run out of a compound and I was to injured to run. Managed to get a spell off at the guys chasing us (edge was very much in effect). End result was the Troll at one point threatening to use his sholder mounted mage on someone.

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <01-02-11/2001:35> »
All I can think now, is to get a bunch of Smart Platforms and put personas on the guns.
"Hello?"
"Are you there?"
"I can see you!"
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #13 on: <01-02-11/2021:22> »
All I can think now, is to get a bunch of Smart Platforms and put personas on the guns.
"Hello?"
"Are you there?"
"I can see you!"
The cake is a lie.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #14 on: <01-04-11/2130:06> »
"Hello?"
"Are you there?"
"I can see you!"

Make sure you dont upload the Three Stooges...that could be bad. Funny, but bad.

HEY, MOE!!! *BOOOM BOOM!!!!*
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.