NEWS

Creating CFD victims?

• 12 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« on: <07-09-15/1305:50> »
Is there an option in the rules to create a CFD victim character?
Maybe starting as an AI or something?
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <07-09-15/1353:19> »
Not yet.

And i don't think there will be any....

The way CFD progresses, the player would be turning larger and larger amounts of time over to the GM (representing their 'black outs' as the CFD personalities take root), and I am not sure that is an area CGL wants to place themselves. (Telling GMs/Players to give total/take control of a character.)

Not saying you couldn't do something with your GM to come up with a satifying experience, just saying nothing official.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <07-09-15/1406:05> »
Well, I'm mostly looking at it from an AIs viewpoint.
Technically, could it be possible to slot the AI into a personasoft chip and take over a BTL junkie?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-09-15/1412:52> »
Ummm no.

At least from what I understand.

AIs != CFD.

CFD is a condition that comes about from having nanities litterally rewiring the neural connections in your brain. Slowly deleting the original host personality and replacing in with the personality(s) of the nanites. (If the nanite infection containts more then 1 personality, they fight for control amoungst themselves)

This is way, WAY beyond what an AI can do.
AIs are at home in the matrix, or in electronic devices. NOT the meatware that is the metahuman brain.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-09-15/1417:02> »
An AI character taking over a metahuman's body?
I can't see that flying without karma costs for the metahuman's physical attributes.
Or using attributes from priority to make the body.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <07-09-15/1423:40> »
AIs != CFD.
Well, the personalities come from AIs. Mostly. :-X
That much is clear from the fluff I've actually bothered to read.
It is written onto the nanites in fragments and then scattered, and with some luck enough of it comes together in a host to form that personally again, thereby overwriting the old one.
It is also to assume that the realities of the wetware impart something on the developing personality, with some memories being kept and skills taken over, and the general view of life of the victim while being taken over partially forming the "infancy" of said personality.
Given the stark unbelievability of the whole concept, I'm loath to actually do anything that direction, as so far that particular avenue of killing the suspension of disbelief has been kept out of games I was in, but I'm good at theory crafting.
@fseperent You ninja! Well, I didn't really think about those implications. Now that I do, it's clear it wasn't meant to be, given that the AI picks up a lot of skills completely useless to a metahuman, but nothing in the way of physical skills, unless it was a drone combatsoft. Still, the idea is nice.
« Last Edit: <07-09-15/1426:28> by UnLimiTeD »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-09-15/1433:14> »
Im not really sure if the personalties from CFD are "just AI"...

I mean, yes they are a digital imprint on a tech medium (the nanites). But there seems to be some conjecture as to where the original (CFD personality) comes from.. so far I have heard:

Digital ghosts: (those that got trapped in the matrix during crash 2.0)
AIs: (as in, completely random code that becomes 'aware')
Resonance entities: ('things' from the resonance that were never human to start with)

Which one (if not all 3, plus other theories I am not aware of) is true, I have no idea. Its a freaky thing to think about and they have not been too forth comming on just "what" CFD really is....

Which makes for an interesting world threat.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-09-15/1457:34> »
Well, there's some hints in "Steeling the future", on page 126+ Chrome Flesh.
Again, the whole idea is somewhat utterly silly, but if one would be willing to indulge it, it's there.

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-09-15/1603:10> »
CFD is not a viable player option in actual play. If your character gets CFD, he's pretty much an NPC at that point.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-09-15/1608:11> »
The same was true for Infected until RF came around.
Besides, as you might have gathered, I'm looking at it from the perspective of the nanites.  ;D

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <07-09-15/1633:07> »
Give this a look for a balanced option:
New Body
Positive Quality: 25 Karma
Congratulations, you nabbed yourself a new body. Use the karma costs for the metahuman body on page 64 of Run Faster to determine race.
Bad news for you, those near and dear to your old body's personality want to put your body to rest and rip you apart bit by bit.
Roll 1d6 to determine the number of enemies you now have.
Also, you'll be identified as CFD, even if you had a legitimate corporate SIN.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <07-09-15/1703:35> »
Step 1. Create a character as normal using whatever character generation rules as appropriate to the game
Step 2. Get a copy of Lockdown, and follow the rules for CFD infection.
Step 3. ...
Step 4. Profit!

Seriously, though, the above can be used for NPCs, but it is unlikely that players were meant to create head crashers from scratch. Rather, this is something a player can catch during play, and Lockdown contains suggestions for GMs and players wishing to do this.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #12 on: <07-10-15/2204:06> »
You could take the incomplete deprogramming flaw with the fluff of it actually being non-communicable CFD rather then just appearing like it.