NEWS

Chrome Flesh - Useless ToC again

• 9 Replies

Citan

• Newb
« on: <06-30-15/0206:03> »
Well... The PDF is out. And again, there is no ToC aside from chapter names and no proper bookmarks. WHY?! Can anybody please explain the reason?? Run Faster had a beautiful ToC, why did they decided to drop this?

This is a book on equipment with lots of tables on different kinds of items. It's a pain in the a* to find anything specific.

The good is a masterindex of augmentations in The back of the book!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <06-30-15/0243:17> »
The reason might lie with lack of proper time before release.
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #2 on: <06-30-15/0348:39> »
Holy crow tech pulled way ahead in this one, Compatibility is 5 karma? O_o
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Miri

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <06-30-15/0609:06> »
Holy crow tech pulled way ahead in this one, Compatibility is 5 karma? O_o

Yeah.. and it doesn't have that nasty Tamanous attractor of you being a universal donor either.

Why couldn't they have brought back some of the neat gear and qualities from Unwired for the Data Trails book?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <06-30-15/0720:47> »
You guys might want to check out the [SR5] Chrome Flesh in the Products sub-forum...Wakshaani (one of the authors) has been taking questions and commenting on the book.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #5 on: <06-30-15/0735:54> »
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <06-30-15/0757:45> »
I too, am annoyed at the lack of a proper ToC and bookmarks.

It's even worse than Data Trails - in there, most of the crunch is in relatively compact chapters. In Chromed Flesh, the different types of 'ware are spread out in big sprawling chapters, and quickly finding the part you need is extremely annoying (especially on a phone or tablet).

The compiled tables at the end help, but they're not a complete solution. And really, making a ToC and bookmarks shouldn't be that hard.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <06-30-15/1525:42> »
Alright, Masked Ferret, I bought it. Enjoy your affiliate credit, you musky polecat.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #8 on: <06-30-15/1651:52> »
some nice stuff in it, especially think the ear antennae will come in handy for my decker. I do have to second the complaints about the TOC though, the new ones are bollocks, hiding the useful chargen stuff you need behind several pages of fluff and jackpointers is a PITA when you're looking for the crunch. better TOC and pdf links are sorely missed in both your recent releases
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

TonyK

• Chummer
  • 20 year on-and-off SR fan...
« Reply #9 on: <07-02-15/1329:42> »
I'm working my way through the book, but had a couple more nits:

- the text suggests that the world at large knows about CFD, i.e., that the viral encephalitis cover given in Boston Lockdown has blown.  Would have been interested to see how the cover blew, and the reaction thereto;
- trigger warning on p.45: I think trigger warnings are a bit absurd as a general proposition,  and especially for a game that involves characters that shoot people in the face for a living.

Overall, though, am enjoying the book.
My fave quote from SRR: "Damn you Mike Pondsmith"

Register