NEWS

Does an implanted commlink/cyberdeck have an access port?

• 26 Replies

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <06-23-15/0502:16> »
ya but if its inside your arm in a smuggling compartment dont see how thats an issue i mean you can mount a head jammer for implanted commlink cyberdecks

Not getting DNI storing it in a smuggling compartment either though. And a head jammer works just as well on a commlink in the storage compartment as it does on an implanted commlink.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <06-23-15/0557:14> »
It will provide you with DNI if you install it in a cyberlimb, taking up capacity rather than essence.

I_AM_ZHOUL!!!

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <06-23-15/0601:39> »
It will provide you with DNI if you install it in a cyberlimb, taking up capacity rather than essence.

9f course it will but he is saying to just keep it inside a storage compartment not having it in a cyberlimb taking up Capacity

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <06-23-15/0617:33> »
I want to keep the ware down no limbs or smuggling compartments. The point is that they lock me up in mage cuffs but don't use the jammer because who expects a mage to have a switched off internal deck much less the skills to use it?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-23-15/0724:17> »
You can have an internal deck without an external datajack.

It is possible to find the headware with a scanner. It is also possible to find the augmentation with astral perception. If your device is wireless on it is also possible to spot it from the matrix (even if you run it silent).

Deltaware require 5+ hits for a MAD scanner and 5+ hits on Astral Perception to spot.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #20 on: <06-24-15/0339:19> »
Generally, if you're captured, unless your captors are back woods hicks with lousy common sense, they will find all your stuff, internal or external. Scanners are cheap and can usually locate even delta implants if used with diligence.

This much effort for the handful of times you only have to pass a cursory visual inspection is a waste of resources, in my opinion.

-k

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <06-24-15/0604:37> »
Hmmm  if the mage isn't broadcasting I wouldn't have thought they'd put that much effort into determinging IF they have an internal commlink that's switched off and has never once been used. But then I like to prepare back up plans for my back up plans when my back up plans go wrong.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #22 on: <06-24-15/0638:09> »
Its all in degrees.

That cyberware scanner at the entrance to the Aztech Mall would most likely miss your internal commlink (if off), cause its your crap, bargain basement model.

The cyber scanner in the Ares HQ office may or may not find it.... after all there are some important people at HQ, but the scanner is only the first line of defense anyway.

The Cyber scanner at the police office? Yea, it'll find your link no problem, and any shrapnel still in you. After all you have already proven your dangerous, best to find ALL your goodies before you surprise a guard with a spur....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <06-24-15/2343:36> »
I suspect the Ares HQ has a much better scanner than your Lone Star or Knight Errant local facility.  Certainly much better if your police force is still a publicly funded entity. 

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <06-25-15/0732:02> »
Rules for Magnetic Anomaly Detectors (MAD detectors) as well as Millimeter Wave Detection systems (Cyberware Scanners) are found on p. 366.

Roll Device Rating. With no other implants the scanner need 1 hit to find standard chrome. 2 for Alpha. 3 for beta. 5+ for Delta.

Judging by the table on p. 234 I'd say a standard corporate security scanner would probably come at rating 3 (or so).

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #25 on: <06-25-15/1024:43> »
Unfortunately if you're captured, there's nothing to stop your captors from scanning you multiple times on a regular basis. Which, if it's been established that you are a credible threat (shadowrunners), a halfway decent security department will do. Hell, some holding cells might just have built in scanners running continuously.

At that point it's merely a matter of time before you are found out. The only variation is your mean time to failure.

It is better to just assume that you are just screwed as far as gear goes. Best plan for an exit strategy that only involves your mind, your noodle, the ol' grey matter. It is, after all, the best weapon.

Ideally part of this plan involves pre-arranged outside (or inside) help.

-k

(Old Man Jones was captured once. Once. It didn't end well for his captors.)

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <06-27-15/1228:02> »
In a month we'll have the actual Availability/Time Extended Test charts for 5th to find Delta Clinics.
More speculation, I see. I hope you won't be disappointed, I really do, but I'm not holding my breath for all the advanced rules from Augmentation to make it into Chromed Flesh. Run & Gun, Street Grimoire, and Data Trails have clearly shown that they are not just carbon copying everything from 4th Edition into the 5th Edition equivalent books.

Data Trails doesn't count, Run & Gun was split into a separate Rigger Splatbook,  you do get Street Grimore for your precedent, & I get Run Faster for my precedent where they kept everything.
Run & Gun was missing almost every weapon and armor modification from Arsenal, as well as a whole bunch of nifty little gadgets like EMP grenades, sensors, and spy toys, just to name a few. And while we knew Data Trails was going to be different due to how the Matrix changed, it was still a significantly weaker book in terms of content than Unwired was. No custom software rules, a handful of qualities and gear items, and no technomancer details because they are writing a different book for that? They definitely count as having changed in a major fashion, and not for the better in my opinion.

Run Faster did not include rules for creating Drakes and/or free spirits, though this was in my opinion minor compared to the other books released so far.

If you really don't see how different the companion books are between 4th and 5th, Zhoul,  we really have nothing more to discuss. Have a good one.

I'm a bit disappointed with the books as well , Run&Gun didn't  include  something as simple as extended ammo clips ,the advanced lifestyle rules in run fasted are not as good as the ones from The runners companion and stolen souls is missing stats for some of the gear and drones listed.

Register