your skull. In the latter case, use Multiple Opponent Defense
to give you a shot at keeping your skull in its proper
three-dimensional shape. If you have this and are being
attacked in melee combat by multiple assailants, reduce
Friends in Melee modifier for the attackers by 1 or reduce
the Defender has Defended Against Previous Attacks
penalty by 1 (meaning that the –1 die penalty starts on
the third attack). Characters can use only one of these options,
as noted in their particular martial arts style.

what about this case? penalty would start at 5th attack?

1st attack: +2 dice
2nd attack: +2 dice
3rd attack: +1 dice
4th attack: 0 dice mod
5th attack: -1 dice

is that correct?

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
  • Shadowrun Missions Developer
« Reply #76 on: <07-23-15/1110:05> »
The bonus for Specialization would only apply if the skill that the Specialization is attached to comes into play.  If you have Multiple Opponent Defense and your Specialization is attached to your Unarmed skill, you would not get the +2 because you are not adding your Unarmed to the Dice Pool, UNLESS you are using the Block Interrupt action, in which case you would apply the +2 to that Interrupt action.

If that were to happen, calculate your Block Defense Dice Pool as normal, then apply your +2 if Multiple Opponent Defense comes into play.  This would only apply in the second part of Multiple Opponent Defense, where you reduce your own Dice Pool penalty for being in combat with Multiple Opponents.

You would not gain any advantage other than the one granted for the former part of Multiple Opponent Defense, since it is a modifier to the attacker's Dice Pool.
That's just like... your opinion, man.

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #77 on: <07-24-15/0345:46> »
That doesn't make sense, the martial art gives that bonus through the maneuver but won't let you apply specialization bonus? then why spec on the martial art or buy that maneuver? If for example i spec on gun kata and gives me close quarter firearms maneuver then by your logic and the previous example, the spec is tied up to my unarmed skill then I wont get the +2 dice because i will be using my pistol skills, and only get 1 mod from the maneuver,... thats really crap, i hope they review these mechanics, its horrible. Thanks for the reply jade.

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #78 on: <07-24-15/1312:28> »
You can take Gun Kata as a Specialization for Pistols.  You can take Parkour as a specialization for Gymnastics.  Etc.

And yes, I agree that some of the Martial Arts mechanics are... not well-implemented.  For example, I don't like that you have to have a MA to take a Specialization at all in Unarmed.  I get why... specialize in Punches and why would you do anything but punch?  There is literally no benefit to kicking or slapping or elbowing... it's fluff with no mechanical differences... but it still rubs me the wrong way.  I should be able to make a Boxer without resorting to using Run and Gun.  Just specialize in punches and BOOM, you're a Boxer.  Specialize in subdued and your a Wrestler.

I understand your frustration, though.

You are asking good questions.

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #79 on: <07-24-15/1614:45> »
I thought that when you are using the MULTIPLE OPPONENT DEFENSE maneuver - it is treated that you are automatically using the martial art ( because if you don't have the MA you wouldn't be able to do so ). Now this maneuver is linked to your Def pool ( Reaction + Intuition ) - I thought that certain situations would allow you to add spec bonus and add the +2 dice to your def test. That's how I arrived at this when using Defended Against Previous Attacks:

1st attack: +2 dice bonus from spec on the MA
2nd attack: +2 dice  ( the 1st -1 is negated by the maneuver )
3rd attack: +1 dice   ( 3rd attack gives -2 )
4th attack: 0 dice mod  ( 4th attack -3 )
5th attack: -1 dice ( 5th attack -4,...etc )

- I don't see how different this is from one specializing in MA with OPPOSING FORCE [ Parry = Reaction + Intuition + weapon(physical) ]. They get +2 from spec on MA and +1 with OPPOSING FORCE for a total of +3 dice bonus on the defense pool. As you can see both maneuvers don't use the UNARMED SKILL
« Last Edit: <07-24-15/1637:31> by antaskidayo »

Wailer

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
  • Live Fast. Die Young.
« Reply #80 on: <07-24-15/1718:49> »
I think you all just made me develop an Allergy (Severe) to Numbers. ;)

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #81 on: <07-24-15/1847:02> »
I'm confused about where you got your example about Opposing Force.

That said, there are two types of Opposing Force, one is a Block and one is a Parry.  If you have a Specialization in Unarmed for the requisite MA, then you will get the bonus when using Opposing Force (Block) but NOT Opposing Force (Parry).  If you take the specialization in blades or clubs for your MA, then you will get the bonus when using Opposing Force (Parry) but not Opposing Force (Block)... because the dice pool for those include the respective skill.

Now, I'm not like, the main arbiter of the rules or anything, and I am aware that I may be wrong.  I would say that different GMs might apply the rules different ways at their table.  I would find it reasonable to presume that a MA Specialization might apply to your defense pool if using a Technique, even though the Technique doesn't add the skill with the specialization to the Dice Pool... there is a difference between RAW (Rules as Written) and RAI (Rules as Intended).

But I would definitely draw the line at allowing a Specialization for MA in Unarmed to apply to a Parry action (that requires you have a weapon).  If you want it to apply while holding a sword, take the Specialization in Blades or Clubs.
« Last Edit: <07-24-15/1850:04> by Jayde Moon »

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #82 on: <07-24-15/1956:13> »
lol i hope cyber and matrix stuff be more simple than this  ;D

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #83 on: <07-24-15/2113:51> »
They aren't  ::)

But we are happy to help with any questions you have!

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #84 on: <07-25-15/0214:04> »
If you have a cyber torso and full set of cyber arms and legs, can you still use a synaptic booster?

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #85 on: <07-25-15/1654:22> »
Yes, as long as you have the essence, of course.

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #86 on: <07-25-15/1952:06> »
if you had a STR and AGI of 1, but got your whole body replaced by cyberlimbs, would your AGI and STR be replaced by the STR and AGI of the cyberlimb? or are there tests that still require you to use your original un-augmented AGI and STR? 

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #87 on: <07-25-15/2125:09> »
Alright, here we go:

How Cyberlimbs affect your Attributes:

Cyberlimbs do NOT affect your Physical Limit.  If your 'whole' strength is 2, your reaction is 2, and your body is 2, then your Physical Limit is 3, even if you have Strength 9 on every arm and leg and cyber torso.

When using a skill that involves only the limb in question, you use the Attribute of that limb.  Shooting an SMG with your right cyberarm allows you to make use of the agility of that cyberarm.  Punching with your cyberarm gives you damage based on the strength of the cyberarm.

When using a skill that makes use of multiple limbs, you use the average attribute of the limbs in question.  Agility 2 with a right cyberarm agility 8 shooting a sniper rifle acts as if he has Agility 5 for the test.

When using a skill that requires the 'careful coordination' of many limbs, which I read to mean you put most of your body into it... leaping across gaps, doing somersaults, etc... you use the lowest Attribute in the equation (probably your natural, but you may have bought a weak cyberarm or something).

That's for full limbs.  Partial limbs, hands, and feet only apply that attribute to skills that reasonably only use that part of the body.  A cyberhand gives you no bonus to firing an smh or rifle (though some may allow it to apply to a pistol).  However, to pick a lock with that hand, you would get the hand's agility.

Clear as mud?

antaskidayo

• Omae
« Reply #88 on: <07-25-15/2307:25> »
so even if you had a full customized cyber body ( torso + all limbs ) your physical limit would still be 3?

Jayde Moon

• Administrator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #89 on: <07-26-15/0018:23> »
Yes.  Mechanically, it is what keeps you from cheesing your attributes.  Fluff wise, your torso is really only a shell, so your internals and all rely on your natural strength or something.