NEWS

Best Published Adventure to Start Wtih

• 8 Replies

DireSickFish

• Newb
« on: <05-14-15/1205:24> »
Hey All. I've played Shadowrun: Returns and it really got me interested in the setting. I'm going to introduce my players to the system with Fast Food Fight and use the pregen characters for that. Then I'll do a character building session. I want to use a published adventure to start off with because I will still be learning the rules and want to have a good mix of matrix/meatspace/astal stuff for the players to do. What is a good adventure for a beginner like me to run? What advice/recources do you have for a new GM to the setting?

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: <05-14-15/1305:25> »
The current season of Shadowrun: Missions is a decent place to start. Also, there's an adventure in the current Shadows in Focus: Sioux Nation titled Starving the Masses which is pretty good (although I may be biased).

Firing Line and Elven Blood I believe are also dual statted so they're also pretty good. Those can be broken up or played as one long campaign.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-14-15/1332:56> »
Take it slow when adding extra layers (Matrix, astral, rigging, etc.) to your game.  The rules are far more complementary than they were in previous editions, but can still come off as overwhelming to new players.  The modules Mystic mentioned are all good places to start (I'd avoid Splintered State), but many of them as one or two elements that could easily TPK a new group, making for a not-so-fun experience.  Make sure you read through whatever you pick carefully and maybe check back in the forums.  Many people here are more than familiar with guys like Quaid and the Founder.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

DireSickFish

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <05-14-15/1336:51> »
The current season of Shadowrun: Missions is a decent place to start.

There are seasons to missions? Are they published regularly and how are they different from other published adventures?

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-14-15/1345:39> »
The current season of Missions (and only 5e season) is season 5.  Missions are designed to be played in a 4-hour block, whereas a module like Splintered State could easily involve multiple game sessions.  You can drag out a Missions scenario if you want to.  I recently ran in London Falling and we took a nice detour to Savile Row to get the less social members of the team appropriately dressed for a fancy occasion.  Totally outside of the book and it chewed up a ton of time, but we weren't on the clock and had a blast.  Well, until the final bill came.   :'(

There are currently five published missions from the current season: Chasin' the Wind, Critic's Choice, Gone Long Gone, Liberation, and While the City Sleeps.  There are more missions available to demo agents (it's very easy to become one, should you want), but those will eventually get released as well.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #5 on: <05-14-15/1406:10> »
Forgot about London Falling! And I helped write it!  :-\
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #6 on: <05-15-15/1248:31> »
Depending on how far into the game's background you want to go ... you might start back in 2050, and work with things like DNA/DOA, Dreamchipper, and the like.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

DireSickFish

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-20-15/1619:10> »
Depending on how far into the game's background you want to go ... you might start back in 2050, and work with things like DNA/DOA, Dreamchipper, and the like.

I'm not going to run old modulus because I don't even know the 5e rules yet, trying to learn two sets of rules to do the conversion would be way to hard.

I've heard Splinterd State can be kinda rail roady so I'll look into some of the dual statted adventures or the Sioux one. Really depends on what my local game shop has available.

Dropship

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <05-22-15/2250:43> »
The SR4 stuff can be used with little to no modification. I'm running the SR4 Missions for my group under SR5 and with the exception of a few dice rolls (Like strength+climbing for using a zipline instead of SR5's agi+freefall) they seem to work well. If any NPC dicepools seem off I'm using the suggestion put forth in one of the Arcology podcasts. basic skills start at 6 dice, professional skills around 12, exceptional/elite skills at 15+.