NEWS

Free Spirit as a Contact

• 40 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #30 on: <03-24-15/1333:19> »
Are we reading from the same books? From 301, from the rule book:
When materialized, the spirit uses astral perception (its only perception) to perceive the physical world
Welcome to 5E, where the book contradicts itself:
Quote from: Core p301

When materialized, the spirit is able to perceive the physical world much as other material beings do. 
Also, consider that many spirits have powers such as Enhanced Sense: [Thermo/Low-Light/Smell/Hearing]. While you could argue that they utterly lack such a sense unless they have the power, the power itself is an Enhanced sense, meaning that it enhances a sense already existing (vision in the case of Thermo or Low-Light).

What I have seen generally used in play is that spirits perceive just like any dual-natured creature when Materialized/Possessing/Inhabiting (even if Possessing/Inhabiting an inanimate object without any mundane sensory mechanism).

In SG, they specifically state that possession spirits cannot interact with AR, though I think what they meant is that they cannot use DNI - light emitting displays and voice/touch/gesture input should be well within their purview. But its up to your GM whether they choose to stick with RAW or the most likely RAI.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #31 on: <03-24-15/1339:58> »
I'm guessing a free spirit would need to use voice commands ? I doubt it can have cyberware(aka datajack) and I don't see Trodes working either.

However Pg 222
Augmented reality isn’t just visual information, either. You can hear audio AROs if you have earbuds or a cyberear. AROs can be tactile if you have a haptic device like AR gloves

Yea, but it gets more murky then that. A spirit can appear as just about anything. From a 6year old school girl to a shiny new toy fire truck, to a column of flame.... How do you put a pair of gloves on a toy fire truck??
Now, granted that a free Spirit would more likely be humanoid then not, there is the added difficulty of... Vision. Vision for a spirit is not related to an optic nerve or even light waves. So... just cause the gloves MAYH work.. they still can't see the input or the output to actually operate the matrix. Implants do not work as they have no nervious system to attach the implant to, nor are their bodies (no matter how real they look) made from flesh, blood or bone (they are actually made from echtoplasim (sp?) (see magic books, 2e to 4e)) 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <03-24-15/1344:54> »

And that is why one should read with the intent to understand rather than the intent to find information that supports their point. Bleh. I'm starting to see why 5E isn't universally loved and lauded.

So the long and short of it is that we have no idea exactly what spirits are capable of? Hey, at least it matches the fluff!

(Thinking back, there are examples of spirits using regular sight in novels, so there's that. However, I don't recall them interacting with AR/VR at any point, though there is certainly more that I haven't read than that I have.)
« Last Edit: <03-24-15/1347:00> by ShadowcatX »

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-24-15/1350:11> »

And that is why one should read with the intent to understand rather than the intent to find information that supports their point. Bleh. I'm starting to see why 5E isn't universally loved and lauded.

There are issues with it that is for sure. But the newer books are getting much better in their editing.
Lets be honest, even in highly technical, government written manuals and codes, there are still errors. (do NOT get me started on the CEC, the AEC, the CMA, and the AMA! All these are legal documents put out by 2 different governments, and they contain a laundry list of errors from spelling, to grammar to even miss labeled code chapters!) so we will never see a "perfect" book, but they are improving, which is all we can ask.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #34 on: <03-24-15/1436:37> »
Minor correction: This appears to be a difference between the first and second printing. In the first printing, it is as ShadowcatX stated, and it was changed in the second printing to what I quoted. So, now RAW matches what was the most likely interpretation of RAI (considering the spirit blocks included regular old Perception as a skill in contradiction to the verbiage on p 301). However it might have worked in old editions, it appears that spirits perceive light and sound and smell, and presumably other senses, similarly to metahumans while materialized.

In multiple places, it states that they cannot use DNI (whether implanted or trodes), so that point is pretty clear. There is only the one place (under Possession in Street Grimoire, pg 197) that states that "Possession does not allow the spirit to operate AR or cybernetic interfaces," which I assume is meant to mean via DNI since AR can be used via trid projectors and AR gloves (or voice command) or via touch screen (electronic paper). I'd even posit that if the possessed form was metahuman enough to wear them, that glasses or goggles would allow viewing AROs.  Likewise for Materialized spirits.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-24-15/1805:31> »

In multiple places, it states that they cannot use DNI (whether implanted or trodes), so that point is pretty clear. There is only the one place (under Possession in Street Grimoire, pg 197) that states that "Possession does not allow the spirit to operate AR or cybernetic interfaces," which I assume is meant to mean via DNI since AR can be used via trid projectors and AR gloves (or voice command) or via touch screen (electronic paper). I'd even posit that if the possessed form was metahuman enough to wear them, that glasses or goggles would allow viewing AROs.  Likewise for Materialized spirits.

I think what this is trying to say is that while the vessel may be able to use the AR devices, the Spirit can not understand, nor make sense of anything digital. Granted it's not overly clear why, but I suspect that is the aim of that sentence.

I imagine it is a limiter they put in place on Spirits to prevent abuse of the rules of/and some traditions. Or it could be there to re-enforce the fact that Magic and Tech do not play nice with each other.

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <03-24-15/1842:13> »
Plus a direct neural interface could be tricky without neurons.

Lighthouse

• Omae
« Reply #37 on: <05-10-15/0135:53> »
Some free spirits do have uses for money. They give it to meta-humans to get them to do things they want done. They also like karma.
"Fish gotta swim You know what I'm sayin." Omar

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <05-10-15/0458:42> »
Don't try to pigeon hole spirits. That will get you dead. What a Spirit wants, you can never be sure of.

Heck, i had a spirit that DEMANDED cupcakes for any help it was to offer. Don't know why he wanted cupcakes (he can't eat them) but that is what he demanded.... (ok, so maybe i have a.... novel... GM)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #39 on: <05-10-15/0528:19> »
Don't be so sure that the spirit couldn't eat them.  Besides, they might be angel food cake cupcakes.  Or devil's food cake.  And its personality changed depending on the type of cupcakes ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <05-10-15/1259:26> »
Don't be so sure that the spirit couldn't eat them.  Besides, they might be angel food cake cupcakes.  Or devil's food cake.  And its personality changed depending on the type of cupcakes ...

They were chocolate. With sprinkles.

I tried giving him/it vanilla ones.... he threw them back at me :(

Have i mentioned i hate dealing with free spirits?