NEWS

What do the Seattle Barrens look like?

• 23 Replies

Irian

• Omae
« on: <03-22-15/0518:30> »
Hi,

with some morbid fascination I have realized that, after playing Shadowrun since the early years, I somehow have no idea what the Barrens as a whole look like. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem visualizing all the hot spots, described in the books and adding new ones, no problem there.

But, if you allow me the analogy, that's like knowing what some clearings in a wood look like, also that nice glade with a waterfall and that one place where the three strange rocks stand. What is missing is what the whole forest looks like.

Is everything abandoned city? How many people live in a typical part? Are there ghost towns or ghost parts where nobody lives, besides ghouls? If I would take a helicopter and fly over it, what would I see (besides some quickly aproaching rocket, obviously)? If I see the map of Redmon, I see an empty map with some hotpots painted on. But what about all the rest? Empty? Overcrowded? Ex-Industrial? Are there (abandoned) typical one-family-houses-suburbs? Or ruined metropolis?

So, while the question may sound completely moronic (because it probably is), I'm still curious if anyone can help my imagination here...
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-22-15/0639:15> »
Being a RL Seattleite, I usually picture District 9 shanty town plastered over the Microsoft, Google, and T Mobile buildings of today.

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #2 on: <03-22-15/0828:40> »
That's actually a great analogy. Kind of like in Elysium except that the people who live in the rings in space actually live in beautifully ornate arcologies. Oh, and rainy.
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-22-15/1010:07> »
Detroit? ::)

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <03-22-15/1226:48> »
The "Barrens" are not one homologous thing.  Basically, "Barrens" are areas without meaningful police coverage or other regular government services.  The exact nature of those areas varies greatly.  Some areas, such as Troustville in Redmond or Loveland in Puyallup are basically just vice and nightlife districts.  May of the residents actually have jobs (bartenders, cooks, dancers, bouncers, musicians)  or illegal jobs (sex workers and other vice related things), and those folks have some cred to spend on daily meals and soycaf and the occasional clean set of underwear, so here are a whole secondary set of small (often very small) businesses to supply those needs.  As for the look, I really like what comes across in the Shadowrun Returns games.  The whole place has an ad hoc and improvised feel to it, bit its still actually a neighborhood, people live there, have business there, and do what they can to get by there. 

Other parts of the barrens are slum housing, like Bargain Basement in Redmond.  Cracker box sized appartments with a bathroom down the hall or out back, no kitchen except a hot plate or electric kettle.  Keep in mind, however, that people can't just sit in  room and feel bad 24 hours a day.  All of those people need potable water and a meal or two each day.  Some of these people have SINs or fake SINs and get some welfare or disability, others are scroungers, heading out into the city each day look for scrap, usable/sell-able garbage, and to commit petty crimes like shoplifting or muggings.  The alpha dogs of these areas are the gangers, who engage in more organized and profitable crimes like drug and btl traffic.  Again, people here need socks, noodles, and a water filter, so there would be street markets that take barter, corp script, and have a nuyen to market chit exchange.

Really nasty areas (Glow City, The Rat's Nest) are basically something out of Road Warrior or one of the Fallout Games.

And also note, there are some areas in the "Barrens" districts that rise above squatter lifestyle.  Puyallup City proper actually has a working city hall and business area.  The outlying trailer parks I imagine get pretty scarry, but there is actually legitimate (if low) neighborhoods there.  There is probably police and emergency services coverage, even if most of the rest of the district doesn't get it.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #5 on: <03-22-15/2109:37> »
I imagine it kinda like the Metro games. Things just cobbled together, in a state of disrepair, different factions fighting for whatever scraps they can find.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Maverick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Newb
« Reply #6 on: <03-23-15/1152:10> »
Perhaps the Seattle from the Dark Angel TV Series can serve as inspiration?

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-23-15/1415:27> »
Perhaps the Seattle from the Dark Angel TV Series can serve as inspiration?

^^^
Ah, another show ended too soon!

Interesting plot lines that could be tweaked for the SR setting -- 'Eyes Only' and Manticore could easily be opposition (or of course employers in our lovely dystopia!)

brasso

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <03-23-15/1700:25> »
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2011/223/9/a/africa_concept_mood_by_jamga-d466m5o.jpg

From reading through it, alot of the economy there is sweatshops and illegal factories making everything from knocked off medicines with no health and safety or licences to worry about, to all-out drug and BTL factories. Look at how shanty towns and secondary businesses grow up around factories in the third world. The only safety and maintenance of amenities is for the convenience of business owners, and is enforced by Triads, Yakuza and Mafia, indirectly through the gangs. It's a playground for the syndicates. Housing is also big business here, where two or three families might share a single apartment, probably using the window as the toilet. Big gangs come to collect the "rent". Fun times.
The system we learn says we're equal under law
But the streets are reality, the weak and poor will fall

lokii

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <03-23-15/1956:13> »

A Bellevue neighbourhood?
« Last Edit: <03-24-15/0454:57> by lokii »

biotech66

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-23-15/2034:07> »
Detroit? ::)

As some one who live in MI, this is what comes to mind...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aOWZSzxEEA

That and the fact out state gets better after the magic apocalypse....
Speech|Thought|Matrix|Astral

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #11 on: <03-23-15/2250:16> »
It should be noted that Redmond & Puyallup are 2 very different looks when it comes to barrens.

I picture Redmond as something like this....
https://www.google.com/search?q=escape+from+new+york&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S88QVfb5OsPxoATniICIAg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

The SE parts of Puyallup on the other hand are this, 20 years later.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dante%27s+peak&biw=1280&bih=923&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8M8QVd7wAcLaoATouYKoCA&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg
Seriously, they say you still need a respirator to move around since there is still so much ash in the air & on the ground.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #12 on: <03-25-15/1220:54> »
Most of the lived-in Barrens areas are effectively favelas, with the occasional old high-rise building thrown into the mix.

Considering, however, the location of Redmond and Renton, you can get this sort of situation happening ...

There are, however, agrarian areas, blasted-out wastelands zones, irradiated nuclear power plants, etc. etc.  Urban blight is the name of the game in Redmond, while that mixed with volcanic wasteland is Puyallup's calling.  And, of course, your typical 'shadowrun team'...
« Last Edit: <03-25-15/1233:01> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #13 on: <03-25-15/1439:32> »
How do you know your Runner has hit "Leet" status?
When he no longer wears body armor & combat boots but instead is so good that he runs in cargo shorts & flip flops.

Nevyn

• Chummer
  • We are all ready to be savage in some cause
« Reply #14 on: <03-25-15/1553:00> »
Its the flip flops. And the Pee Wee Herman grin with the 2 pistols next to the tough guy with the assault rifle. (That guy is Spence from Ronin)

Who hasn't been on a run like that?
speaking out loud
matrix actions/communication
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering