NEWS

Drones? DRONES! Halp!

• 7 Replies

Lodi

• Newb
« on: <03-04-15/1748:52> »
So I recently got into to SR4E through a group of friends and thought to myself drones = minions, minions = OVERWHELMING POWER! All jokes aside, this game is incredibly in depth and detailed and as such, I am having a wee problem making my Drone Commander. I am hoping that someone with extensive knowledge in drones, riggers and the whole gang, could spare an hour or two to help me understand all the connections. I can use Skype or Curse Voice, whichever is easiest, thanks in advance for the help!

Imveros

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-15/1812:46> »
Sadly i know very little about 4th ed rigging, but if you ever need any help with 5th ed rigging let me know :)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

"normal speech" thought "Matrix"   whisper "Subvocal" "Foreign Language"

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-04-15/1814:25> »
You'd probably be better off asking any questions you have here. That way, all the people here can look at them, and there's more chance that someone knows the specific issues you're wondering about.

Lodi

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-15/1833:07> »
Yeah just didn't know if it would be easier, so basically I envision my character as a reclusive mechanic type whose only love for the world is in the mindlessness operations of machines. As such he has become endeavored into building, maintaining and overall control over drones. I however don't want him to be a "hacker". I know this seems out of place and truly I don't even understand fully how to bypass it, but I want to stay out of the Matrix. I am looking for a "Captain's Chair" archetype I believe, but would like to use it in a local fashion. He will have a Van, geared as a tool shop and mobile base to have a Steel Lynx in waiting to call in, but other wise I have him using 2 Dobermans on either side of him that he can control to attack enemies.

So what I am confused about is exactly what I need. I know I need upgraded Commlinks, though I haven't a clue where to start with "programs", as well as what skills are crucial to the build versus just enhancers. The only thing I am truly adamant about is that he is an "old school" computer mechanic who doesn't believes everything should be connected in massive form, even if he can't help it. This ties in with his background and such.

Thanks!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #4 on: <03-05-15/1515:56> »
In terms of commlinks, in 4th they're a bit funky and if you're using unwired there are a few extra bits to consider.

First, you need System and Response to be high, as these cap the number and the rating of programs you can run, which in turn limits your dicepool for certain things.
You can raise these commlink stats to 6 across the board with unwired rules and a lot of cash, but tbh, you're probably fine just getting everything to 5's.
Minimum programs you need (off the top of my head, im a bit rusty with 4th too!):
-Analyse (scans for intrusions and alerts you)
-Browse/Edit (they're cheap, so why not)
-Command (this lets you remotely pilot in AR)
-Encryption (keeps your comms channel secure)

Advanced programs that are handy to have:
-Biofeedback filter (helps soak biofeedback damage if you get shot up in VR)
-Stealth (keeps you off the radar if people are looking for you, good for recon drones you want to keep quiet)
-Track (useful for locating enemy deckers/riggers)
-Decrypt (useful for decrypting enemy rigger's network chatter)
-Spoof (good for causing low-level mayhem against unpiloted drones iirc)
-Agent/Intrusion Countermeasures (IC) loaded with attack+armour software (fights deckers that crack your network for you)
erm... im sure there are more but my 4e memory fails me....

You can spec up the software with customisations, the one you want most of is optimisation to let you take a rating 6 program and run it on a rating 5 commlink.
Crashguard is nice on stuff like Analyse but only useful if your GM is really into matrix stuff (many aren't)

Some hardware options are good on your link too, the optimisation module, hot sim module, sim boosters and such all help in various ways, as does the non-standard wireless link.
Be careful though as you can end up with a 70k commlink in your pocket and you really don't want that breaking or getting lost lol!
Basically all your pilot skills are necessary apart from aerospace (unless actually going to space lol). They work whether you drive/fly/sail manually (in the flesh), remotely (through AR/VR) or jump in (become the drone/car/boat by linking your brain to its onboard computer). If you just send instructions to drones and have their pilot software figure it out, you don't really need any pilot skills, but you're putting an awful lot of faith in the software at that point and it isn't very clever.
If you don't have enough skill points to get a decent repair dicepool for your main vehicle categories, take a high level mechanic contact who can then do repairs for you.
Computer and E-War skills are necessary, so don't skimp. Hardware is decent for repairing damaged electronics like commlinks too.

You'd mentioned staying out of the matrix if you can, this is possible in 4th for a vehicle rigger, you can connect via skinlink (uses the body's bioelectric field to put signal between devices in proximity to skin) or by jacking a cable from your head to the car/bike/plane's computer directly or via a commlink with its wifi turned off.
It won't work for drones though as they'll be too far away.

-Gun, get one that accepts belt feed or mod it to accept 100 round drums. You dont want the barrel running dry!! stick a smartgun on it too.
-Sensors, upgrade the shit out of them. you want flare comp/low light/smartlink/image link etc on your cameras and full audio suite on the microphones depending on what role your drone is for.
-Pilot, if using its pilot software autonomously, you'll need to upgrade this as its pretty stupid on most basic model drones.
-Have a mix of combat and recon drones and expect to lose them/get them shot up regularly.

Vehicles;
-Run flat tires on everything
-Morphing plates on everything
-Spoof chips on everything
-Road strip ejector/oil slick sprayer is well worth it in a chase
-Guns, only ever in concealed/turret mounts. don't miss the meet because the coppers pulled you over for having a .50cal on the roof of your car.
-Chameleon coating is a godsend and can make a delivery/utility van into a great stakeout/infil vehicle or can help lose a tail in a chase.
-Have a van with plenty of space if taking bigger drones, sports car for the smash 'n' grab jobs and bike for pursuits/tailing.
-Rigger interface goes on everything you're gonna jump into
-Might need to upgrade system/response if you decide not to go down the commlink route and cable in directly
-Armour is a decent option
-Sensors, as above, pimp the shit out of them.
-Turbos, speed + accel boosts might come in handy but make sure your GM is actually using the RAW before you invest as they're not cheap and won't help if he's handwaiving chases.

You need to have a decent signal rating on drones and vehicles you're going to pilot remotely too, so upgrade that as necessary.
« Last Edit: <03-05-15/1708:25> by Csjarrat »
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Lodi

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-05-15/1734:29> »
Holy sheet! This is an impressive list/walkthrough, thanks a thousand and one! I'd give you a potato, but I'm sure we'd lose it in the Matrix anyways! I will have to put this to work now, I'll upload later this week or next week with the "build" I go with so you can do a quick graze, make sure I didn't make any rookie mistakes, like a broken character lol! Thanks again!

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <03-06-15/0719:42> »
lol, no worries. feel free to pm over a sheet if you want me to sense-check it prior to posting.
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-06-15/0939:41> »
Give at least one of your Doberman drones a mechanical arm. That way it can open doors, handle door locks or reload firearms ect.

In terms of drones you want focus where your skills are strong. For Dobermans you need the Pilot: Walker skill, while for your Steel Lynx you need Pilot: Groundcraft. Should you lack the points to cover all bases, I'd suggest you drop the walker stuff and just equip a Crimson Samurai with a mechanical winch (the one with gekko tape), a mechanical arm and let it shoot a grapple gun (using the winch) to move up on roofs or climb stairs.

Keep in mind that most drones are quite cheap, but are pretty vulnerable and useless when used autonomously. But not all drones need to be upgraded. The inexpensiveness makes many drones especially useful. Piloted by a rigger even basic models can perform good.

There are a few drones that I like in particular:
GM Mr. Fix-it: A cool drone for your homeshop that can manage repairs ect.
Its all a matter of Autosoft. It can clean your apartment, too. I'm pretty sure with the right autosoft and a medkit you could also let it do basic medical stuff. Just sterilise it prior ...
Micro-Tapper Bug: A super small and rather inexpensive drone that can grant your team hacker remote access to networks.
MCT Fly Spy: Close range aerial surveillance and general sneaking inside confined spaces. Pretty cheap, too.
Lockheed Optic-X: This most often is my basic aerial recon drone. With chameleon coating and good sensors it can follow most cars in urban areas. Its also small, so it doesn't take much room.
Renraku Stormcloud: Great recon drone for fixed locations and over extended periods. It can stay in the air forever if you want to.
Federated-Boeing Kull: Impressive speed. With some money this can be a pretty fast interceptor!
C-D Dalmation: This thing looks like the Hunter-Killers from the Terminator movies. As a large drone its capable of transporting a dwarf or light weight human.

I like to transport most stuff in a GMC Hermes Van. It comes with two small drone landing racks and has additional 17 modification slots.

Register