NEWS

Street Scum [Recruitment]

• 66 Replies

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #45 on: <03-08-15/1241:06> »
Thanks gilga, but let's wait until we are all ready and see if there is any other essential stuff we need (Sweet, sweet drugs for example ;) )
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #46 on: <03-09-15/0548:33> »
Generally, I'd say yes (the Ares Predator that was sold in 2065 should be pretty much the same as the one sold in 2075), but I'd ask you to use a healthy measure of brain (A sap, for example, will not really be cheaper, while a gun will be).

But, of course, there will be no WIFI functionalities unless you pay the full price.

I wrote you an update on Kathmandu 2075. Enjoy!

Kathmandu / Nepal 2075

Mentality

It is difficult to explain Nepalese mentality without having experienced it. Nepali people don’t tend to think a lot. Difficult to believe as it is for Westerners, Nepali are in 90 % of cases not able to answer the question: “Why are you doing this?” (and you wonder many, many times!) They just do, many times without thinking of consequences, reasons or the future. Most Nepali don’t waste their time on finding better solutions: If something works, it works. They don’t care whether it could be quicker, cheaper, more efficient or anything. They just do. This can be very frustrating at times, because many things don’t work, work too late, or malfunction.
I assume it has to do with the climate. There is no real winter in this subtropical country. The weather is nice and very, very predictable: It usually stays the same for weeks to months. Thus, the Nepali live in the present, and absolutely so. And they are happy with it: Hardships or poverty are born with Stoic attitude, and no matter how poor their lives are, they love to celebrate. These are very good qualities in a never-changing world. In the ever-changing world of the 21st century, however, it is one of the main reasons for poverty and lack of development in Kathmandu.
Their qualities lie within their social life. Nepali don’t tend to have a big ego. This, on the one hand, leads to little ambitions and a general indifference, but also to a population with very, very few egoists. There is, of course, violence, theft and rape, but less in comparison. People in Kathmandu tend to be trustworthy, generous (in their way) and honest. There is nothing beyond your family (or gang). Unlike in Western countries, they stick to each other and help each other without getting carried away by their own ambitions and motives.

Geography

Kathmandu lies in the Kathmandu-Valley, surrounded by pahaD, often translated as hills (and meaning everything that is not high enough to support a glacier in sub-tropical climate). It’s part of the “hilly zone”, as opposed to the Himalayas in the north and the Terai (a flat, hot jungle zone) in the south. Generally spoken, the hills surrounding the valley are inhabitated by the Pashupati people, while the valley itself suffocates in pollution and smog.

Population

Nepal: 22,000,000 (Chetri 16 %, Brahman 13 %, Magar 7 %, Tharu 7 %, Newar 5%, Other 46 %)
Kathmandu: 2,000,000 (Newar: 22 %, Chetri 19 %, Brahman 15 %, Magar 7 %, Other 37 %)
Metatypes in ktm: Human (48 %), Dwarves (11 %, called Yaksha), Elves (12, thereof 7 % Gandharvas (male) and Apsarases (female)), Trolls (6 %), Orks (12 %), Ghouls (5 %, called Vetala), 6 % SURGE metataypes
Religion: Hindu (81 %), Buddhist (10 %), Christian (4 %), Others (5 %)

Foreign politics

The most important country for Nepal is India. While there is an official treaty with Tibet, there is little communication (although the Dalai Lama has not forgotten how Nepal openly accepted thousands of refugees). In many aspects, Nepal is sort of India light: There is a lot of pollution, but still less. The people are talkative, but less. It’s loud, but less. The stuff is cheap, but … okay, well, it’s cheaper than in India. But you caught my meaning, didn’t you? Same goes for religion: While they basically share the same main religion (Hinduism), for Nepalis it is usually more an aspect than an important part of life.
India is the major trading partner, but also Westerners come here to sell movies and goods, to use cheap services (especially surgery) or to run less honorable business.
The currency is the Nepali rupee. 100 NRs make 1 Nuyen.

Some important places

Tangal
(this is the place where we are going to play)
Separated by the stream Dhobi Khola from Battisputali, Tangal is the living nightmare of … basically everyone whose heart is note made from stone or chrome. These slums are dirty, full of smog and shantytowns. The center of Tangal is an old, scorched Bhat Bhateni super market mall: Built in better times, it’s 7 stories high: a massive reminder of from which height Kathmandu fell. You cannot see much of the semi ruin, however: In the 2020s, India launched a mass production of what soon was called “Lego barracks”. Big factories produces thousands of tons of giant puzzle pieces which were supposed to be the new generation of prefabricated houses.
In the beginning, they boomed. All over the world, Lego barracks became popular. What the corp Mayadevi didn’t realize: It’s was just a short-term fashion. Only after a few weeks, the boom receded and Mayadevi wasn’t able to sell away their huge loads of pre-processed puzzle pieces. A generous NGO bought them for no money and brought it to Kathmandu to ease the situation for the people there. It worked out, in a way. In order to save puzzle pieces, the people reused walls wherever they could. The old Bath Batheni (now called the termite mound) was buried by thousands of little Lego barrack rooms wherever there was some space to be found. This termite mound is the center of Tangal, and offers a place to stay for a couple of thousand inhabitants where they now live in dozens of meters of height, supported only by cheap plastic puzzle pieces, connected by ladders and ropes.

Narayanthan

Formerly a place for the wealthy it is now a troll ghetto. Due to the efforts of Big Baba Bishnu, green spaces are used for growing rice and dal (lentils) and potatoes. Non-trolls are only allowed if they pay a “con troll fee”. These fees are used to improve streets and buy building materials. The temple of Budhanilkanta with the biggest Sleeping Vishnu statue of Nepal was shattered when Vishnu was not Sleeping anymore. Now all you’ll find there are sleeping trolls.

Ratna Park

The big park is surrounded by slums and ghettos. Although gangs and the shadowier kind of people claimed the park, it is still common good. It’s an open place for festivals, concerts, games (it's also called the Arena because of the recent fashion of gladiator fights in Ratna Park) and to meet and greet people. Also, surrounding the streets of the park you’ll find the biggest (black) market of all the kingdom.

Bouddha

Lying on a ley line, the former Buddhist stupa became the center of magic research and mystical practitioning for both Hindus and Buddhists.

Swayambunath

The temple in the West of Kathmandu lies in the hills and became the spiritual center of the Pashupati people.

Thamel

Formerly, the tourist center, Thamel fell into decay and ruin when Nepal turned its back on the West (and the West on Nepal). After it tried to remain some of its splendor, Thamel became the center for cheap surgery, cheap hookers, cheap drug dealers, weapon smugglers, soldiers and mercenaries. Thamel is probably the most dangerous, but maybe also the most interest part of Kathmandu (if you have a squad of mean big trolls to save your ass, that is).

Ring Road

The big ring road is the main street in Kathmandu. While everything inside this circle is subject to decay and poverty, the ring road itself is well-guarded by police and military to allow the Pashupati people to travel (relatively) fast and (almost) safe.

Most important persons

King Kulratar: While he is an absolutistic king who is not shy to use military countermeasures to sustain his position as such, he’s not the worst politician there is. He enjoyed a very good education both in Kathmandu and abroad (India and Canada) and is a great worshipper of the Dalai Lama. He tries to be a just and good ruler and his more far-sighted than most of his people understand. King Kulratar is a bizarre mixture of traditional conservativeness and modern far-sightedness.

Sri Yela Sai Baba: This charismatic sect leader is beloved by the slum people and watched with suspicion by the Pashupati. He is a powerful magician who uses his magic to heal and feed those who have little or nothing but he demands devotion and obedience from his followers.

Big Baba Bishnu: The king of the ghetto. Big Baba Bishnu is the leader of Narayanthan and finds love and worship also in the southern parts of Kathmandu, where he is little more than a myth. The charismatic troll manages to control the troll ghettos and organize (yeah, organize, and we’re still talking of Nepal!) controlled agriculture WITHIN the borders of Narayanthan.

Sano Souraj: The Yaksha gang boss (“Sano” means “Little”) tries to do in Tangal what Big Baba Bishnu did in Narayanthan. With little success. Less charismatic and powerful than his idol, he never managed to gather more (or less) than a big gang (the Spirits of Tomorrow) around him.
"normal speech"
whisper/"under your breath"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <03-09-15/1219:15> »
Hoi, mates!

I opened a side-thread where we can already get to know each others' characters IC while you're waiting for me to think of a cool plot. It's going to take place roughly 5 months before the main plot. I don't think we're going to nead a separat OOC thread. If you have to write any OOC comments, just use these brackets: [This is an OOC remark.]

An explanation:
Nepali call each other the way they would call family members of the fitting age. Important words:

bua = father
aamaa = mother
uncle = uncle
auntie = auntie
dai = elder brother
bhai = younger brother
didi = elder sister
bahini = younger sister
chhora = son
chhori = daughter

Everyone's talking in Nepali, of course. I'll just type it in English, because my Nepali is still not so advanced ;-)
« Last Edit: <03-09-15/1229:56> by Volker »
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #48 on: <03-09-15/1418:35> »
Ok finally done with Scipio. Here's a little backstory, who he is, where he comes from, how he thinks:

My parents named me Ajesh. But don't call me Ajesh, I hate this name. I decided to take on the name of my savior: Scipio.
Scipio was there for me when no one else was.
It was on a rainy summerday, I just turned twelve, when I ran away from my parents.
Well, I didn't technically run away, I just slammed the door and told them to go to hell. Wasn't like they left me much of a choice. My parents had never given me anything, besides  - obviously - birth. Sadly, not only to me, but also to my about 30 minutes older twin-brother. Well, as anyone can tell: two is one more than one. And since my brother, with his arrogant, careless and reckless behavior was an exact copy of my father, and since I was definitely not, it was all too clear WHO was the one to much. At first, as long as my mother was strong enough to protect me, it wasn't too bad. But to be honest, she never did a very good job, mostly just made the situation even worse.
Then, on our twelfth birthday, I had enough. It wasn't the beating, that made me go, it wasn't the insults, it was the injustice: My brother got a party. Like, a real birthday party, with a cake and presents and everything. All I got was the order to do the dishes. For real, the two of us were born on the same f*cking day! They didn't even pretend that they forgot that it was also my birthday. They just ignored it. So I left andtold them to go to hell. End of the story. Most kids return home after they ran away, but I didn't. Saw no reason to do so.
And that was the very day I found Scipio. I was actually looking for food in the garbage, but then I stumbled across this dirty old book, which nourished me better than all the food in the world could ever have. It was called The Thief Lord, and it contained my new friend, father and mentor: Scipio.
Scipio taught me more about life than my parents ever did, and I learned the rest I needed in the streets. I soon found out that a twelve-years-old-elven-boy has to fear pretty much anyone in the sprawl. And I learned that if you intend to survive, you sometimes have to do things you don't want to do. But I owe everything beyond that to Scipio. He taught me it aint the most important thing to know how to win a fight, but how to avoid one. He taught me that you have to know when to strike and when to hide. And that you must never make an enemy, when you can make a friend instead.
But he gave me more than knowledge and nourishment: he gave me a purpose. I knew that I hated my past, but he gave me a reason to do so: Because of the bloody injustice! My parents  throw a birthday party for one of their sons, while the other one has to du inhuman things to keep him alive. They live in an air-conditioned flat while people suffocate in smog not one mile away. Gluttony lies so close to extreme poverty, it just makes me want to vomit right in the next fancypantsy-silken-suited-sir's face. I despise them, the rich Pashupati-people, I despise everyone who lives not in the sprawl, but lives OFF the sprawl. And I despise those, that use the misery as a ladder, hurting my bhai and bahini to gain power or wealth. And I'm sure that the real Scipio would've felt the same.
Scipio opened my childish eyes, and I'm very thankful for it. Might be a little naïve, to bestow so much worth on some man from a book, but he was the only that was there for me.
Well, apart from the gang…

I guess the rest should be decided together.
Looking forward to my first shadowrun!
speech   thought      "matrix talk"   <<message>>    whisper   foreign language

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <03-09-15/1826:15> »
Shower is very important for lucky he'll roll his guitar performance;
Chairsma 6 + 4 skill + 2 speciality = 12 dice
Performance Guitar: 12d6t5 2
Bah... lets use edge just for gigs ;)
Performance Guitar re roll failures: 12d6t5 6
Ops he got 7 edge... (not 2)  (so 5 more dice but we hit his social limit anyhow... need to learn lucky)

now that's more like a rock concert - they'll be half naked girls lucky want to be clean.

« Last Edit: <03-09-15/1830:59> by gilga »

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <03-09-15/1839:20> »
Cool story - a SINNer then ?

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <03-09-15/2348:12> »
@gilga

Got it, but it's a bit too soon, still. We're only talking about going somewhere. We haven't set off, nor have we gotten inside (let alone allowed to play music). We can count that roll, though, if you want, but usually you don't roll before you act.
Ah, by the way: I'd be very much obliged if you could use quotation marks (" ") for direct speech. Makes it a lot easier to read.

@Novocrane

Just as an idea: Have you thought about playing a Nepali SURGE-"minotaur" (with a Nepali name) instead of a real Greek metatype minotaur (with a Greek name)? Or do you want to play a Nepali SURGE-"minotaur" with a Greek nick?

@luckace

Very fine story, indeed! Just join the side thread anytime you feel like it.

@Jack_Spade

Got nothing to say to you but it felt unfair to talk to anybody else except you. So ... happy Holi!
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <03-10-15/0303:19> »
oh no problem, nevermind the roll then. and I'll use red for talking, blue for thinking green for matrix if I get a comlink.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <03-10-15/0336:13> »
Sounds gut! :)
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #54 on: <03-12-15/1217:43> »
Sorry I couldn't post earlier. This can happen from time to time, since also in RL I really am in Kathmandu, which is still the capital of a developing country. During the last 48 hours or so, I had 5 min of internet access...

Yeah, that's absolutely fine. I know a Hari personally, so Hari is definitely okay. I don't know any Keshs, but it sounds really like a very Nepalese name. Whatever sounds more suiting to you, I'd say.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <03-12-15/1244:40> »

Hoi, decided to abandon my smoke-grenades, they really don't seem to fit into the scenario.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <03-12-15/1245:09> »
Cool story - a SINNer then ?

Ah, yeah: There is no SIN in Kathmandu. The System Identification Number is an American concept. He might have had a pass or something like that, but it won't be worth the paper it's printed on.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <03-12-15/1330:58> »
so cool. No SIN makes stuff a lot easier.

luckace

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <03-12-15/1844:32> »
Sounds a lot more interesting indeed.
By the way, I'm unsure about a certain rule: in my case, my character has Hobo with a Shotgun. Does this mean, he doesn't linke to take a shower, Organisation simply not in the hotel we're talking about, Organisation is it fine as long as we don't pay money?

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #59 on: <03-13-15/1811:17> »
oh wow this is so going to blow up in our faces lol;)

Register