NEWS

Unarmed Combat/Martial Arts

• 119 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #75 on: <09-10-10/1314:23> »
Meh.  If I'm not waving a gun around, it's just a conversation, not a debate or argument.
True... but I can't see if you are or not through the interwebz ;D

Now we're arguing... ;)
LOLcatz for da win!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #76 on: <09-10-10/1341:34> »
Just for the record, an argument can also be "a process of reasoning; series of reasons: as in I couldn't follow his argument" or "a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: as in This is a strong argument in favor of her theory" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argument.

So, yes, an argument can be just fine.  It's the angry shouting ones that can become bothersome.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #77 on: <09-11-10/0938:37> »
Just for the record, an argument can also be "a process of reasoning; series of reasons: as in I couldn't follow his argument" or "a statement, reason, or fact for or against a point: as in This is a strong argument in favor of her theory" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/argument.

So, yes, an argument can be just fine.  It's the angry shouting ones that can become bothersome.
You're not from an Italian Family are you? Gentle conversations over dinner of Manacotti(sp?) can be heard 3 blocks away.

Irian

• Omae
« Reply #78 on: <09-11-10/1451:49> »
Take a look at the HERO games "Ultimate Martial Artist," and you'll see a book that covers a lot of martial arts very well, but that obviously took a whooooole lot of time to put together.

As a side note, if anyone is searching for nice sources for playing martial arts: GURPS Martial Arts is also a nice book, including descriptions of many styles. Usefull stuff if you want to flesh out your fighting descriptions.
GMTool - PreAlpha released (also on SourceForge)
Random Ramblings about Shadowrun (german only)

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #79 on: <09-12-10/1506:47> »
Same reason Matrix rules make no real life sense, grenade rules are plain absurd and people have something called Essence - gaming balance.
......How unbalancing can an unarmed fighting style get compared to a Panther XXL? ;D :D

You haven't seen Stahlseele's Trolls ;)

A Troll Ki-Ad Melee Fighter can be deadlier than a Panther Sturmkanone !
Deadlier by far
(but that was allready mentioned )

Hough !
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <09-12-10/1513:48> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #80 on: <09-13-10/0023:51> »

Deadlier by far

Hough !
Medicineman

I was starting to wonder when you'd finally show up here :) *waves*
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #81 on: <09-13-10/0546:24> »
Same reason Matrix rules make no real life sense, grenade rules are plain absurd and people have something called Essence - gaming balance.
......How unbalancing can an unarmed fighting style get compared to a Panther XXL? ;D :D

Deadlier by far

Hough !
Medicineman
shuoldn't that be "up close?" after all a punch doesn't quite have the range of a panther.
« Last Edit: <09-13-10/1111:10> by Usda Beph »

inca1980

• Ace Runner
« Reply #82 on: <09-13-10/0547:36> »
I didn't have time to read all the posts, so maybe it's been addressed already, but one thing that's great about the SR gun rules is that they're very realistic in many ways compared to how many melee games handle guns (i.e. palladium..D20).  Why should the martial arts rules be any less realistic.  I'm sorry but by and large the primary difference between different fighting styles is purely esthetic....and is designed to only makes sense when fighting with other people of that same style.  I do capoeira, and I love capoeira...my cousin is the capoeira instructor in my town and he used to be a professional ultimate fighter....and capoeira has helped him to be very flexible, have good stamina, and fast reflexes...so it's definitely helped him be an all around better fighter....but in a professional fight he doesn't use any capoeira....it all comes down to your standing game (muy thai variants)  and most importantly your ground game (brazilian jujitsu)...and that's what everyone trains because it's what works in a real fight.  Training other styles can help you out, but in a much more indirect way....not in the way martial arts enthuasats usually think where "dragon fist" or "praying mantis" is somehow going to make a difference.  I think the way SR represents martial arts is much closer to reality....and if don't believe me just start watching some real MMA.  
« Last Edit: <09-13-10/0551:25> by inca1980 »

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #83 on: <09-13-10/0603:20> »
What you say is somewhat true Inca. Being trained in 3 different styles (TKD, Shorin Ryu, Wing Chun Do) what you have said is mostly true. But when I joined Wing, everything I lerner in my hard styles went out the window. Since Wing is the only soft style I've studied I can't say if it's principles would hold up in any other. Going from crane to mantis probably would have some similarities but also be different enough to make a student start from scratch. Little things like weather a side kick steps behind or over when chambering is easier than say learning a driving punch v a cuncussion punch. ;)

However for an RPG a block is a block and a kick is a kick, it's the art's specific "perks" that will differ.
« Last Edit: <09-13-10/0732:32> by Usda Beph »

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #84 on: <09-13-10/0857:31> »
shuoldn't that be "up close?" after all a punch doesn't quite have the range of a panther.

Not so close anymore if he initiates a few times, raised magic and learns distance strike...

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #85 on: <09-13-10/1112:39> »

Not so close anymore if he initiates a few times, raised magic and learns distance strike...
Oh I can't wait till we're more comfortable with the mechanics of this Game!

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #86 on: <09-13-10/1343:14> »

I think it's gonna take more than that to make him match the range of a Panther.  ;)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #87 on: <09-13-10/1351:13> »

I think it's gonna take more than that to make him match the range of a Panther.  ;)
Even so a fist that can strike at a distance greater than arm's length is always a good thing. NOw to get one to hit around corners! ;D

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #88 on: <09-14-10/0031:25> »

True, but I'd prefer an undetectable Panther cannon substitude with less range over a large weapon which gets me hunted down by SWAT teams anytime :)

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #89 on: <09-14-10/0605:50> »
I'll take C. Both for the win Pat. The Panther when you need to make a big statement & that ranged punch when you're just looking to knock someone's block off their body! ;D
« Last Edit: <09-14-10/1034:21> by Usda Beph »