NEWS

Unarmed Combat/Martial Arts

• 119 Replies

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #45 on: <09-09-10/0925:01> »
Aww we lost a whole page during the black out!
Yeah, I'm A Minotaur! You Gotta Beef with that?
I'm a Minotaur not a bully!
I studied at the Rocky Mountain Culinary School.I specialized in Seafood.
My Dad worked out of el Toro In New Mexico.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #46 on: <09-09-10/0940:22> »
If you can't remember within 7 seconds what you wrote on that page it wasn't important anyways ;)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <09-09-10/0942:53> »
Ouch.

One of the things I am thinking about doing is adding some stunt elements to the game to give those folks who really love close combat a bit more flavor and make it attractive.  In Exalted you describe a stunt for your character, and the GM (and the others at the table) decide how "cool" it looks (rule of Cool implemented within game mechanics).  Basically, the cooler it is, the more bonus dice you get (up to 3) to perform any actions described in the stunt.  The rewards are not only extra dice, but if you are successful, then you get some in game resources back:  Essence, Willpower, and possibly a bonus XP for the night (only once per session, though).

I'm considering doing this to help the melee folks "get into" their combat more, as opposed to just rolling dice.  With the number of called shots I've seen taken for ranged combat already, I don't think it needs much more in my game.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #48 on: <09-09-10/1019:50> »
If you can't remember within 7 seconds what you wrote on that page it wasn't important anyways ;)
It was more that the post I quoted is now gone making my reply post... Obsolite.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #49 on: <09-09-10/1023:49> »
If I can't remember it, it is because I wrote a 1000 word essay and don't feel like typing it all again.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #50 on: <09-09-10/1111:29> »
It had to do with Bruce's Jeet Kune Do using Boxing tech. Which is essencially true. But According to James DeMiles (Bruces first student) Bruce had removed key elements from Jeet to make it substandard(Yet still mighty effective) To the system  bruce himself used (with James and a few others) that became known as Wing Chun Do. This from the mouth of Sejo DeMiles himself at a seminar I attended while a WCD Student.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #51 on: <09-09-10/1234:58> »
It had to do with Bruce's Jeet Kune Do using Boxing tech. Which is essencially true. But According to James DeMiles (Bruces first student) Bruce had removed key elements from Jeet to make it substandard(Yet still mighty effective) To the system  bruce himself used (with James and a few others) that became known as Wing Chun Do. This from the mouth of Sejo DeMiles himself at a seminar I attended while a WCD Student.
There are plenty of conspiracies and myths surrounding Bruce and Jeet as it is -- but when someone's claiming to have secret knowledge that only Bruce Lee and his inner circle had (Wing Chun Do) that's a martial art even cooler than Jeet Kun Do...you just have to ask yourself what someone's trying to sell you, in my opinion.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #52 on: <09-09-10/1240:49> »
Not if you consider Bruce to be a Spiked Physical Adept... ;)

From all I read, he created Jeet to make it a 'non-style', sort of a precursor to Mixed Martial Arts.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #53 on: <09-09-10/1243:44> »
It very much was.  He used to get pissed when people referred to Jeet as a martial art style.  One of his core tenets was not to label it (and in doing so, limit it) that way.

To me, the very idea that he'd keep "secret techniques" for a "secret martial art" hidden from public consumption, that he'd teach just a few of his favorite students...is actually pretty insulting to Bruce and his memory.  It's pretty obvious that the next words out of DeMiles' mouth (at that seminar) were going to be "But for the low, low, price of _______, I'll teach YOU these secret techniques!"

Of course, now we're getting into the politics and backbiting that came after Bruce's death, the split in the JKD community (some want to teach Jeet only as Bruce taught it, others continued the JKD "idea" and kept incorporating new stuff), etc, etc, etc.  There's always a bunch of bitter, petty, hurtful, crap happening when someone dies and leaves behind friends and money...and Bruce Lee's life was no exception. 

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #54 on: <09-09-10/1314:44> »
There are plenty of conspiracies and myths surrounding Bruce and Jeet as it is -- but when someone's claiming to have secret knowledge that only Bruce Lee and his inner circle had (Wing Chun Do) that's a martial art even cooler than Jeet Kun Do...you just have to ask yourself what someone's trying to sell you, in my opinion.
DO consider that Sejo DeMiles was one of if not Bruce's first students, and He (by his own recounting) can out "power Punch" Master(Sejo?) Dan Inisanto because Dan learned the punch AFTER bruce pulled those key elements I mentioned. Also Crit, remember Bruce was a touch Paranoid and an over achiever. To him it was silly to teach someone to be as good as he was. DeMiles learned the full techniques because he (and the other originals) were to be sparring partners and had to be able to push Bruce. Taking that inlt consideration I would wager that were still other secrets the great master didn't teach James for the same reason.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #55 on: <09-09-10/1338:53> »
Inosanto's normally called "Guro" Dan.  It's the Filipino word for teacher. 

At any rate, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  When someone worked as hard as Bruce did to open up the world of martial arts to the West, and when someone else is banking on the mystique around Bruce to sell "secret techniques" that he claims Bruce kept from everyone else?   I just...*shrugs*...smells fishy to me.

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #56 on: <09-09-10/1349:15> »
Inosanto's normally called "Guro" Dan.  It's the Filipino word for teacher. 

At any rate, we'll just have to agree to disagree.  When someone worked as hard as Bruce did to open up the world of martial arts to the West, and when someone else is banking on the mystique around Bruce to sell "secret techniques" that he claims Bruce kept from everyone else?   I just...*shrugs*...smells fishy to me.
Doesn't Guru Inosanto Do the same? Bruce has two systems he taught the public. Jun Fan Boxing & Jeet. Why is it so hard to believe he didn't keep a few tricks to for himself which only a select few was privy to? Plus for a good while Sejo DeMiles only taught our Special Forces this system. I will believe anyone with the credencials of Sejo DeMiles, Specifically because what he is teaching works as well as it does. ;) I joined a TKD class 10 years after dropping out of WCD. In free sparring I won against every oponent up to the third degree. I lost by no short stick but I will say He would have gone to the hospital shortly after me if it were a real fight ;D

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #57 on: <09-09-10/1418:11> »
Like I said, I'm sorry but it just smells like a marketing scheme to me. 

At best, he's telling the truth and has some secret techniques that Bruce didn't want to share with the general public, right?  So he's turning around, banking on Bruce's legend, and selling those techniques to the general public -- which Bruce specifically didn't want to do.  I find that distasteful, on a personal level, as something to do to a friend and teacher.

At worst, he's making the whole thing up.  He might have some cool tricks to show (like Guro Dan certainly does), but instead of admitting they're his cool tricks, he's marketing them as Bruce's cool tricks in order to name-drop and make more money off the whole thing. 

At any rate, my opinion on the subject doesn't matter.  My old teacher was a Guro Dan student, and as he always told us, the knot of talent and enthusiasm around Bruce is something that's not going to get untangled thirty years after he died.  Everyone Sifu Lee taught, and everyone he learned from, and everyone he sparred with, could probably murder me with their pinky finger, regardless of their age... ;D...but they're still just people.  Any of them that we've heard of, we've heard of because they've banked on their connection to Bruce -- to one degree or another -- so it's not like I'm condemning just one guy, or anything.   

Usda Beph

• Omae
  • aka Black Angus
« Reply #58 on: <09-09-10/1426:28> »
Valid points on cashing in. BTW Sifu... instructor/master. Sijo Grand Master If there was a title higher than that It would be Bruce's in all three diciplines he used.

LFG

• Newb
« Reply #59 on: <09-09-10/2337:52> »
First off, hats off to you guys for keeping the debate civil.

Second, I toted around with the idea of setting up a campaign focused on hand to hand combat. Basically ran into all the issues mentioned here. 

Always thought that with the stuff about adepts and MMA in the future scattered in several sourcebooks that a longer treatment would be cool.  I mean if it needed to be more marketable you could do it as a sports of 2073 or something.  At least then it would get an entire chapter.