NEWS

Hacking Cyberware or PAN

• 26 Replies

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #15 on: <01-08-11/1622:11> »
If you have
Signal 0  =  Range 3m
And I have commlink with
Signal 4 = range 1 km

Then you ae in reach if you are anywhere within 1.003 km. So the argument that your CW is protected by low signal rating is no use... so why bother about lowering your signal. Most of my players have Signal 5 or 6 comlinks. That means 5-10 km area.

Your math's a little wrong, assuming you're talking about mutual signal range direct communications, your commlink (not its signal) must be inside of my Signal 0 cyberware. That means your commlink has to be within 3 meters, not 1003 meters.

Quote from:  SR4A, pg. 222, Signal
When two devices are within the range of the lowest Signal rating of the two, they are said to be in mutual Signal range; this is required for direct device-to-device communication and for other applications.
Underline mine.

On the other hand, you can always talk to any device you can "see" in the Matrix, as long as you can establish one or more "daisy chains", a trail of devices which are, themselves, in mutual signal range. So wireless cyberware in Seattle can be hacked from Neo-Tokyo, if the hacker knows how to find it.

EDITED
For grammer.
« Last Edit: <01-08-11/1644:58> by Chaemera »
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #16 on: <01-08-11/1642:06> »
AAAAha I see.

Now again.
If I have directional Jammer...lets say Signal 5  I will disable all your Wifi cyberware?

Need to reread Augmentation :)

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #17 on: <01-08-11/1645:47> »
If I have directional Jammer...lets say Signal 5  I will disable all your Wifi cyberware?

You jam its signal, but that's all. Unless it relies on wireless to function, it'll keep doing its job.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-08-11/1647:28> »
jup

Morg

« Reply #19 on: <01-10-11/1836:02> »
That is why all my players skinlink literally everything to a no broadcasting  comlink and use a different link for matrix action and usually keep 3 disposable comlinks on them I end up having to use gremlin nanos to get them. I just figure they are just over achevers

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #20 on: <01-11-11/1009:30> »
the idea having RFID tag, like stealth & security, can be put in grenades and such...
i can say no more as that would be a spoiler

Sichr

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <01-11-11/1247:40> »
You now you should have RFIDs lay down on the carpet at the entrance of the building so it can attach to anyones shoes tthat steps on it...

Morg

« Reply #22 on: <01-11-11/1310:50> »
The computer approves your supplication you have been granted security color Pink and Provided 1 extra clone

CyberNed

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <01-15-11/0248:05> »
The computer approves your supplication you have been granted security color Pink and Provided 1 extra clone

Wrong game, commie! *Blam Blam*
"Hi, I'm TV's Cyberned. You might remember me from such Exciting shadowruns as 'BTL? WTF!' and 'One, Two, Three, Four, I Declare a Gang War'...

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <01-15-11/0834:06> »
It is always the right game citizen.  Please proceed to sublevel F for mind scrub and reprocessing.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #25 on: <01-15-11/0845:04> »
It is always the right game citizen.  Please proceed to sublevel F for mind scrub and reprocessing.
* ZAP! * You shouldn't have known about any of that! Spy!
Oh. Neither should I... * ZAP! *
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Tharbad

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <02-09-11/1901:49> »
Of course it is possible to access a signal with normal range of e.g. 3m from outside this range. To tell a small story it was a big hobby in the Bay Area to access wifi-networks from a few kilometers away a few years ago.

So, when we have a look at the normal RL wifi-router, it has a range for around 20m in a building. That means that you can not connect with a equate transmitter (e.g. your Laptop) to the network, when you are outside this range. But with a fancy amplifier and a antenna you can send the network your signal and you can pick up the very tiny signal you get back from the router. So, when you are equipped with the necessary gadget you can hack a device with Signal 0.

A other option to build a network up around some guys you newly meet, replace one of three shots with RFID Mash Tags Tracker Rounds ;)
« Last Edit: <02-09-11/1904:16> by Tharbad »