NEWS

"Who The Frag Is...?" [random shadowrunner generator]

• 38 Replies

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #15 on: <01-12-15/1343:28> »
LOL, I like this.

Tonight, the Star is looking for...
Tyrant, she's an ex-con Human Extraction Expert from China who excessively uses initials or acronyms and doesn’t bother to explain them.

Guess who I met tonight...
Animal, she's an accident prone Human Street Mage from Japan who is cybered far beyond any reasonable limits.
« Last Edit: <01-12-15/1345:49> by Tarislar »

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #16 on: <01-12-15/1413:54> »
"Carbon, he's a fun loving elf mage who doesn't believe in magic"

lololololol

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #17 on: <01-12-15/1609:40> »
roflmao

Meet : Midnight, he's a lab raised Ork Street Samurai from Tir Tairngire who has a grudge against Saeder-Krupp. Surprisingly easy to work with, though.  Lab raised ork from the tir? what, for meat or just spare parts?

Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <01-12-15/1659:02> »

lololololol
Hey, remember "Psionics" from earlier editions, who insisted their tricks were being done through sheer force of will, not some external power?  Sounds like you could make it work, to me.

MattCeb

• Newb
  • Devious Procrastinator
« Reply #19 on: <01-12-15/1852:06> »
Hoi, here's Matt, the deranged soul who made this thing. :)

I'm still adding stuff to it (more streetnames, more roles, more traits and quirks), so that it doesn't repeat too often.

Just now, for example, I added "Critias" as a Streetname and "Gumshoe" to the role's sections, as a small homage to Crit here, and a thank you for bringing this to your attention. :)

Two small callbacks: Somebody immediately got the Food Fight reference. Very good! :)
And yeah, the "doesn't believe in magic" stuff is meant to evoke the Psionics, as well as the more... Sheltered kind of person.

Regarding the "Troll dislikes trolls", I could theoretically create strings for each metatype that would make this kind of combination impossible, but... That would mean way too much work and would also lead to some errors of omission creeping in over time. So right now you can end up with people who distrust either their own gender or own metatype. But, well, I know such persons in real life, so you can string an interesting story out of that, if you're so inclined. ... Or just re-roll them. ;)

As to streetnames like "Plague" for a medic... Well perhaps there's a reason that Plague is now running the Shadows and not employed by DocWagon. ;)

But, yeah. I have no real way of influencing the probabilities of choices being influenced by former choices, as my javascript knowledge is still... Mh... Let's say I have a "1" in it, in Shadowrun terms. And let that be generous. :D It might change with time, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I hope that the more data I enter, the less frequent some glaringly stupid combinations will become.

But... It's good to see that people like it. :)
I hope to improve upon in the next few days, weeks and months. And who knows, it MIGHT become more powerful in the future. I do intend to make it look slightly sleeker, too. But... It works. And people like it. That's more than I would have thought when I started with this, this last Friday. :)

(For whoever is interest in its origin, that would be this site: http://whothefuckismydndcharacter.com/ - And then I followed the link to the WTFEngine github, downloaded it, customized it and made a Shadowrun version. And then I cleaned THAT up, and made an open version that others are free to use for their preferred games/genres/ideas, which you can find and download here: https://github.com/Matt-Ceb/Random-NPC-Idea-generator )

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <01-12-15/1856:23> »
roflmao

Meet : Midnight, he's a lab raised Ork Street Samurai from Tir Tairngire who has a grudge against Saeder-Krupp. Surprisingly easy to work with, though.  Lab raised ork from the tir? what, for meat or just spare parts?

What else are trogs good for?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #21 on: <01-12-15/1902:41> »
Much props, MattCeb!  This has been a fun little distraction!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

MattCeb

• Newb
  • Devious Procrastinator
« Reply #22 on: <01-12-15/1908:13> »
Thanks! :)

And for anybody who would like to use it as a quick "idea generator" during their games (Which is its main objective, really): Because this thing is done in javascript, it works on pretty much all smartphones and tablets. So you can use it wherever you are, and either use the idea as-is, or pull just enough data out of it to flesh any random NPC your players just met.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #23 on: <01-12-15/1938:15> »
Just had this awesome combination pop up!

Silver, she's a delusional Elf Gunslinger Adept from the UK who distrusts women.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #24 on: <01-12-15/1944:04> »
Meet

Shark, he's a broke Troll Decker from Tokyo who might only have a year left to live.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for „1 million/4 once.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #25 on: <01-12-15/1946:56> »
So a few more tries later I got this gem.

"Chrome, she's a short-tempered Dwarf Fixer from the Sioux Nation who is always trying to recruit people to join the Universal Brotherhood."

And here is where I jack the (redacted) out, later chummers!

Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for „1 million/4 once.

MattCeb

• Newb
  • Devious Procrastinator
« Reply #26 on: <01-12-15/2007:36> »
Oh, yeah. It's very much 2050s centred, as I'm running a pre-UB reveal campaign with my players. (Now 2 years and going into its third, real-time wise. :) )

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <01-12-15/2057:18> »

lololololol
Hey, remember "Psionics" from earlier editions, who insisted their tricks were being done through sheer force of will, not some external power?  Sounds like you could make it work, to me.

Or one's Mage character could always be a massive Star Wars fan and believe that he's using The Force. :P
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #28 on: <01-12-15/2113:21> »
Hah!  Thanks for the name drop, chummer.  :)

My only suggestion for an improvement would be to maybe play with the spacing somehow, to make it so that the "next" button (of whatever colorful text shows up) is in the exact same spot.  Like, line it up on the page independently from each generated character, so it stays on the same location on-screen every time (that way you can just keep your mouse right where it is and click, and click, and click).

In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small nitpick to have, I think, and the fact that's all I can think of to "fix" it shows just how cool a little tool this is. 

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #29 on: <01-12-15/2123:34> »
Hah!  Thanks for the name drop, chummer.  :)

My only suggestion for an improvement would be to maybe play with the spacing somehow, to make it so that the "next" button (of whatever colorful text shows up) is in the exact same spot.  Like, line it up on the page independently from each generated character, so it stays on the same location on-screen every time (that way you can just keep your mouse right where it is and click, and click, and click).

In the grand scheme of things, it's a pretty small nitpick to have, I think, and the fact that's all I can think of to "fix" it shows just how cool a little tool this is.

I agree with that suggestion, I noticed the same thing.  (Wow, how lazy are we that we can't move the mouse 1 inch?)  Hehehe