Shadowrun Play > Play-by-Post

[5e IC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

<< < (2/60) > >>

Tecumseh:

--- Quote from: 8-bit on ---Achak was covered in his body armor, and spinning his club like a dreidle. Definitely not the subtlest attire he could have come with.
--- End quote ---

Achak looks at Stake while the team leader covers the plan. He looks at Stake's Ares Alpha, large and unsuppressed, with its underbarrel grenade launcher. Definitely not the subtlest weapon he could have come with.

Achak nods as he listens and reviews the details. He's glad Stake is the tactician. Achak has good instincts but is not a strategist. He has an uncanny ability to detect when things aren't right, and right now he's getting that itch at the back of his head where the spine meets the skull. He's not sure if it's his sixth, seventh, or eighth sense - he hasn't assigned them all a number or a sequence - but there's something about the situation that seems off. It's not the newborns; they're damnably fast and strong but not beacons of subtlety or deception. No, it's something about the tip that pointed them to this building.

"I have a concern," he begins. "I asked 3L1 to eavesdrop on some comm chatter for the building's security. They spoke in Japanese and Cityspeak.

"If the Yakuza tipped us off to this score, and there are Yakuza in this building, then that begs the question of why we were not formally invited or hired (instead of just tipped off) or given the cooperation of the security staff.

"My money is betting that this is a Kanaga-gumi holding and that the Kenran-kai are making a play for it."

He lets the thought hang, secretly proud of his powers of deduction, before silently rebuking himself. Pride is what got Yohan killed. Hubris leads to nemesis. He should explain the situation more fully, without desire for recognition or glory, if only because Sister Rebecca is new to the city and its inner turmoil.

"In the early 2060s, the Redmond Barrens were controlled by the Nishidon-gumi. I was just a young smuggler at the time; acting as look-out for border runs back and forth between the Barrens and Salish-Shidhe. We did some business with Nishidon. In the confusion following Crash 2.0 - 10 years ago last month, can you believe it - Nishidon attempted a coup. It failed miserably and he committed suicide in the aftermath to avoid whatever punishment awaited him. The remnants of his organization were cast off into Puyallup as the Kenran-kai, but ever since then they have been looking to take back their old territory in the Redmond Barrens from the Kanaga-gumi, who inherited it. I think this is Kanaga-gumi club and that the Kenran-kai either want it back or want to make Kanaga look bad.

"There's another prospect, perhaps even less pleasant. The newborn vampires could be the Yakuza themselves. I mean, why else would be getting this tip from a third party? How else could you explain the building security being so oblivious? Or, if they're not oblivious, then why in the world are they still coming to work? Who goes to work in a building with two or three vampires present?"

He stops, thinking that he's done, then remembers.

"...besides us."

rednblack:
A little less than 1km into the Barrens, and Elijah pulls the van off the highway.  On the off ramp, a text comes through to the team.

<<@Team [3L1] If it's not nailed down, grab it.  Hope you chummers are wearing your safety belts.>> 

A second later, the back doors of the Bulldog open, and there's a muffled popping sound, one that Achak immediately thinks is the sound of suppressed gunfire, before he sees a parachute deploying from the Lockheed drone.  The chute opens, and the drone rolls out the back, deploying its wings as it hovers for a brief moment, and then the engine comes live, the parachute is dropped, and the drone is off to begin its scouting duties.  The doors close before the van hits the first stop sign, which Elijah barely slows at.

<<@Team [3L1] Traffic looks good, we're 2 min. out.  I'll let you off at the west side of the building, where access to the basement is located.  I'm going to stay posted up there, so let me know if you'll be using a secondary exit on the way out.>>

touristville is never really slow, but Sundays are obviously not the bread and butter of the district.  None of the clubs seem to be operating at "capacity" tonight, as evidenced by the lack of lines, though the team sees a small group of orks in red and gold jackets being politely told to slot by another ork wearing an expensive looking suit.  There is enough traffic on the streets between cars and pedestrians that the Bulldog practically idles its way down the block before taking a left.  Another 2 blocks down, and Stake is able to pick out the target building through the rain.  A very tall, somewhat cybered up elf stands at the door, patting down a patron.  Around the corner, the alley is lined with cars, mostly junkers, but there's a newish Americar and a delivery van.  In garish letters, the van advertises "Noodle Soy!™ Soy Noodles.  The best soy for your noodles, and noodles for your soy.  When you want soy noodles, ask for Noodle Soy!™"

The Bulldog pulls in close to the building, next to the basement access grate, shielding the team from any curious passerby's.

<<@Team [3L1] End of the line, chummers.>>

Tecumseh:
Achak sees the Crimson Crush getting told to frag off. The ork in the expensive suit must be worth the money if he can tell gangers to go slot in their own neighborhood. He mentally composes dialogue in Or'zet for the conversation while the Bulldog creeps along down the block.

Crush: Skraa! ‘oliiko ecena’xom? ([Greeting shout!] How much does this cost?)
Bouncer: Mo’tu ya upuuti xom van caarb me kulun? (Do you come in a color other than dirty?)
Crush: Ya xutee ekunij’kuurma? (May I see a menu?)
Bouncer: Ya qlavate hze devilrat. (I spit on devil rats.)
Crush: We’ax tu’ epistl’ya? (Have you seen my pistol?)
Bouncer: Ak tu’ ji’noo, me drundeah tu’ san enorgoz’ya. (If you move, I will kill you with my weapon.)
Crush: Ya bledjeax. Ak tu’ me drundeah ya, tu’ polu’e eyertz’ya. (I’m sorry. If you do not kill me, you can have my money.)
Bouncer: Buunda, ma’noo kom DokWagun! ([Explicative interjection] Call DocWagon!)

The Bulldog takes a left, breaking Achak's sightline to the orks, bringing the story to an end. He mentally wonders if he could have reversed the dialogue and have the story make almost as much sense.

Two blocks later and they are at their destination. Achak frowns at the tall, cybered elf at the door. The Kanaga-gumi are very conservative and not big on metahumans. Strike one for his theory.

He lines up near the Bulldog's rear door, waiting for the Go from Stake.

Poindexter:

--- Quote from: Tecumseh on ---"I have a concern. I asked 3L1 to eavesdrop on some comm chatter for the building's security. They spoke in Japanese and Cityspeak. If the Yakuza tipped us off to this score, and there are Yakuza in this building, then that begs the question of why we were not formally invited or hired (instead of just tipped off) or given the cooperation of the security staff. My money is betting that this is a Kanaga-gumi holding and that the Kenran-kai are making a play for it.

In the early 2060s, the Redmond Barrens were controlled by the Nishidon-gumi. I was just a young smuggler at the time; acting as look-out for border runs back and forth between the Barrens and Salish-Shidhe. We did some business with Nishidon. In the confusion following Crash 2.0 - 10 years ago last month, can you believe it - Nishidon attempted a coup. It failed miserably and he committed suicide in the aftermath to avoid whatever punishment awaited him. The remnants of his organization were cast off into Puyallup as the Kenran-kai, but ever since then they have been looking to take back their old territory in the Redmond Barrens from the Kanaga-gumi, who inherited it. I think this is Kanaga-gumi club and that the Kenran-kai either want it back or want to make Kanaga look bad.

There's another prospect, perhaps even less pleasant. The newborn vampires could be the Yakuza themselves. I mean, why else would be getting this tip from a third party? How else could you explain the building security being so oblivious? Or, if they're not oblivious, then why in the world are they still coming to work? Who goes to work in a building with two or three vampires present?
...besides us."

--- End quote ---

The short stocky helmeted woman listens intently. This isn't the first time she's gotten caught up in a turf war between two factions of varying type, and she hates it every time. It's been her experience that many people are comfortable feeding the demon in the basement, so to speak, until it gets too hungy. Only then do they call for help. After hearing Achaks concerns, she finally speaks, adding one of her own. In a cold, even, and level tone she says, "Are we certain this building does indeed harbor the vampires we seek? This will be a dark day if we have been misled into doing the petty work of some..." the words ooze like pus from an infected wound, "...gangland hitsquad." She grips the hilt of her sword tightly, awaiting a response from the team.

-------------------

--- Quote from: rednblack on ---The Bulldog pulls in close to the building, next to the basement access grate, shielding the team from any curious passerby's.

<<@Team [3L1] End of the line, chummers.>>

--- End quote ---

After pulling the collar of her armor jacket up high over her neckline with one hand, she crosses herself quickly, saying a quiet prayer in latin. A moment later, she snaps her eyes open, unbuckles herself from her seat and stands up. In one slow, reverent, and fluid motion, she draws the blade of Gabriel from its humble wooden scabbard and holds the flat of its gleaming silver blade against her body, its point near the crown of her head as she crouches near the rear door next to Achak, waiting for the signal.

8-bit:
The driving goes smoothly for another minute before Achak speaks up.

--- Quote from: Tecumseh on ---"I have a concern. I asked 3L1 to eavesdrop on some comm chatter for the building's security. They spoke in Japanese and Cityspeak. If the Yakuza tipped us off to this score, and there are Yakuza in this building, then that begs the question of why we were not formally invited or hired (instead of just tipped off) or given the cooperation of the security staff. My money is betting that this is a Kanaga-gumi holding and that the Kenran-kai are making a play for it.

In the early 2060s, the Redmond Barrens were controlled by the Nishidon-gumi. I was just a young smuggler at the time; acting as look-out for border runs back and forth between the Barrens and Salish-Shidhe. We did some business with Nishidon. In the confusion following Crash 2.0 - 10 years ago last month, can you believe it - Nishidon attempted a coup. It failed miserably and he committed suicide in the aftermath to avoid whatever punishment awaited him. The remnants of his organization were cast off into Puyallup as the Kenran-kai, but ever since then they have been looking to take back their old territory in the Redmond Barrens from the Kanaga-gumi, who inherited it. I think this is Kanaga-gumi club and that the Kenran-kai either want it back or want to make Kanaga look bad.

There's another prospect, perhaps even less pleasant. The newborn vampires could be the Yakuza themselves. I mean, why else would be getting this tip from a third party? How else could you explain the building security being so oblivious? Or, if they're not oblivious, then why in the world are they still coming to work? Who goes to work in a building with two or three vampires present?
...besides us."

--- End quote ---

Stake is deeply troubled by this line of thought. He always hated getting tips from syndicates. Still, money had been tight recently, and none of his other sources could come up with anything. As he thinks, the young woman voices her own thoughts.

--- Quote from: Poindexter on ---"Are we certain this building does indeed harbor the vampires we seek? This will be a dark day if we have been misled into doing the petty work of some..." the words ooze like pus from an infected wound, "...gangland hitsquad."
--- End quote ---

"Perhaps the Yakuza did not want to publicly hire us for fear of embarrassment. If the vampires truly are Yakuza, I cannot imagine how disgraceful it would be. If they aren't, then how could they explain that vampires have been thriving right under their security's eyes?" Or perhaps these vampires are more intelligent than we gave them credit for. He thinks darkly. He carefully keeps it out of his face and keeps his voice steady and calm. "It does not matter why the Yakuza told us about these vampires, or whether there are vampires in that building. We will act as if there are, and proceed with the plan. Once we have the lower floors secured, the Sister's spirits should be able to tell us if there truly are vampires, as well as where they might be located."

Satisfied that he had done all he could to quell their worries, Stake falls silent. They arrive, and everyone quickly readies up, waiting for his order. Stake smiles. He had a good feeling about this night, and he had a competent team.

He swiftly double checks his equipment and then presses his mask to his face.

"All right, you know the plan. Move out!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version