NEWS

Do I need to take Modules in the Life Module System?

• 3 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« on: <01-06-15/0952:38> »
Basically, the headline's the question.
It says the Life Modules System offers less Karma because some Modules are very good.
However, in case I just don't find a fitting one, can I just forgo that step?
F.Ex. the Nationalities offer only North and Middle America, and while my group plays there, having someone hail from somewhere else would be neat.
Then there's Corporate Born Citizens, which are left in the dust as well, to speak nothing of Cal Free (that should be there, you have to admit).
Aside, unless you specifically want to tell a story with your life modules, what's the point in White Collar over Corp Drone? Yes, a specializaton is 7 Karma, but I think 2 Levels in the Electronics group trumps that easily.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-06-15/1005:56> »
I read the Life Modules section as requiring a choice from at least the Nationalities, Formative Years, and Teen Years categories. All of these have a fixed cost and brings your character to the age of 17, and use language like "need to choose" and "need to pick", implying a lack of choice.

Further Education seems optional, however, as the description states "if you choose Further Education", and seemingly gives an option to skip ahead to Real Life.

Real Life does not use any particularly specific language one way or another, so I'd say this is optional as well.

To be fair, though, the whole point of the Life Module system is to use the modules; if you don't want to use any of the nationalities, I'd suggest using a different generation method. I am not personally aware of any statement by developers indicating that further modules (i.e. additional nationalities, for example) are definitively being worked on.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-06-15/1031:16> »
Well, that makes the module system pretty useless.
Thanks, in any case, I suppose I can just pick Karma.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-06-15/1041:40> »
I'd allow it.  You're already starting with less karma vs. straight karamagen, so buying fewer package deals with fewer starting resources certainly doesn't concern me from a balance perspective and there are plenty of concepts out there that only jell with certain modules.  Making Ladybug via Life Modules (although a weird choice for her) would involve skipping a ton of stuff.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.