NEWS

[5e OOC] Sunt Venatores Venationem

• 1158 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #825 on: <09-08-15/0232:40> »
I have an IC post half-written in my head. I'll work on it overnight and get it up soon.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #826 on: <09-08-15/1238:08> »
Salient points from the IC:
1. Mercer is trying to remember how he heard about the job that resulted in the "big score" that had gotten his team found and killed.

The tip came from a source on Grotto1 that Mercer paid for.  The information was given in a private message, but by the time Mercer was back up and kicking, the account went inactive.

2. He's calling Duncan.
3. He's asked Achak to reach out to Elijah, mostly to see if he's okay and possibly warn him, but also to try to enlist him in cracking Iki's phone (assuming there is more info to be had) and/or see what might have attracted Iki to Manhattan. Has he been there before? In other words, was he heading to his next job or heading to meet his masters?

Cool and cool.

4. If the answer to #1 doesn't renew his suspicion of Grotto1, he'll log in and post a warning to the other hunters regarding the modus operandi of the group hunting the Hunters.

Stake was the one who organized the information for the run on the yak joint.  The team doesn't have any reason to suspect any of the potential team contacts listed on the first page of the OOC, so they may be able to point you guys in the right direction should you want to pursue that angle.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #827 on: <09-11-15/1943:43> »

Mercer wants to call Duncan, but I can't think how to write it in IC since he wants to call, not message. A text from the dead is suspicious, a voice is much more likely to be taken seriously. But I don't know if Duncan would take the call (Loyalty 3) or if he'd end up with the receptionist. Or if anyone is even alive to take his call. Also, looking back, Duncan was supposed to reach out to Achak (or Stake?) when he had a line on a buyer, so it might be poor form to contact him other than to caution him to watch his back after our experience and to inform him that Stake was deceased.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #828 on: <09-11-15/2047:50> »
I'm gonna try and stay in this one, cause I really like where it's going, but it's gonna be hard. Will someone shoot me a PM when becca wakes up, please?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #829 on: <09-14-15/1104:22> »
I dropped the ball on Duncan getting back to Achak, so let's assume that he received a message from Mr. Abbey acknowledging that he should take precautions.

Likewise, we'll assume that Mercer is able to get Duncan on the phone.

@Mal, if you want to IC getting situated and beginning the phone call, we can move forward ICly on what Mercer and the team want to do.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #830 on: <09-21-15/1624:19> »
I'm going to assume that Duncan's meet is amenable to the team and post IC to that effect since no one has weighed in to caution against it. I'll get an IC up today.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #831 on: <09-22-15/1528:12> »
Alright, so you guys have a few hours before anything really needs doing.

@Poindexter, you can make some --let's say 4 -- Healing Tests for Sister Rebecca.

Other than that, I'll get an IC up either today or early tomorrow that will get us in with Mr. Abbey at the hospital.  Let me know if there are any plans before then.

As for Manhattan, what's the plan once you get there? 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #832 on: <09-22-15/1634:29> »
Achak is definitely on board with meeting Duncan this evening. The hospital sounds like a good idea.

ICly, Achak is bewildered by the thought of going to Manhattan. I picture him having been raised in Salish-Shidhe lands. Maybe he's visited some other NAN countries, but for the most part Seattle is the biggest city he's ever been to. I think he'd be a bit wide-eyed - provincial, even - at the notion of going to Manhattan. He would benefit from some guidance - some dos and don'ts for the city. He might even ask Duncan to arrange for a local guide, perhaps a decker/rigger, that can shepherd them around.

OOCly, what I know about Manhattan is from something I read 3 years ago. I remember that security is tight and that there are color-coded pass-cards, but beyond that it will all be new terrain for me.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #833 on: <09-22-15/1806:15> »
Once we have funds we'll try to get a decker to look into what Tiny might have been up to in Manhattan while we travel there. Hopefully Duncan can help get us there - we don't want to have to leave our equipment behind, so standard commercial travel is probably out.

Based on what the decker discovers, that'll inform our first steps once we arrive. We'll also need a place to stay. Mercer would also want a means to get his van there. It can go on autopilot and make the trip in a few days - or less - if it can clear all of the checkpoints in between. Again, hopefully Duncan has some input.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #834 on: <09-27-15/0225:15> »
It's late right now. I'll get an IC post up Sunday.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #835 on: <09-28-15/0104:34> »
My post is up. I don't know if it's a personal record but it's a long one (~1,850 words). I used spoiler tags in the middle to indulge in an extensive interior dialogue, as this situation would put Achak's inner selves in full conflict (the mercenary ganger versus the altruistic Christian). Everyone is free to read what's underneath; I was simply using them to shorten the vertical height of an already loquacious post.

Speaking of loquacious, I go back and forth on Achak's speaking ability. He certainly doesn't have the Logic to support High English, but his Social skills are strong. I've done my best to mimic how I think Duncan's speech, as that is what Achak would attempt to do.

Rolls:

Etiquette: Charisma 4 + Etiquette 5: 9d6t5 2 hits, unimpressive but passable

Negotiation: Charisma 4 + Negotiation 5: 9d6t5 4 hits, not bad but I'm going to Edge since this is fairly pivotal
Edge reroll: Edge reroll: 5d6t5 2 hits
So 6 hits total. (Social limit is 6, or 7 with the wireless benefit of Achak's suit.)

Achak's goal isn't to increase the nuyen figure so much as it is to convince Duncan to provide things that the team might otherwise have to pay for themselves. This has the added benefit of smoothing over some of the logistic hurdles, unless rednblack intended to have some fun with those. If so, then perhaps Duncan will raise his offer and we can arrange for things ourselves.

I wasn't expecting to beat Duncan in a Negotiations roll but my result isn't terrible. I didn't add any Social modifiers; I'll leave those to rednblack's discretion. I have space for one more hit on Achak's Social limit.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #836 on: <09-28-15/1248:35> »
Nice write up, Tec.  Take that Edge back.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #837 on: <09-30-15/1548:50> »
Thanks, rednblack.

Duncan's offer of a personal loan is throwing Achak off a bit. He certainly doesn't want to part with the painting at a fire sale price but nor is he sure that they can scrape together enough to fund the trip without some outside resources.

Let's start by figuring out how much we have floating around in our pockets. Some OOC liberties with omniscience are being taken in the process of these calculations.

Mercer: ¥2,040
Achak: ¥1,754
Sister Rebecca: ¥610 (if she's healthy enough and willing to continue)

That's just over ¥4,400.

In addition, we'll have some funds from the vampire bounties. Naturally, at this removed point, I can barely remember how many vampires we dusted. I'm going to guess three. Those are worth ¥7,500 each, so that's ¥22,500. Minus 15% for taxes - Achak's National SIN, which I presume is connected to the bounty hunter license - takes it down to ¥19,125. Elijah's gets a quarter of that, which leaves ¥14,344.

Add that back to the original ¥4,400 makes ¥18,744 if Sister Rebecca joins us or ¥13,353 if she goes her own way.

Other potential sources of income are Stake's chargen cash, which is reasonably generous if it's accessible. (¥2,480 + (4d6 x ¥100) = ~¥3,880 or thereabouts.) There are also Stake's personal effects, which Achak would be loathe to part with (and which Duncan would probably find distasteful to liquidate) but it's not like the elf needs them anymore. He had some nice suits but they were all Custom Fit, which probably limits their resale value.

Thoughts?

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #838 on: <10-01-15/1256:40> »
@Tec, as for the loan, Mr. Abbey will probably require a few points above average for interest, all things considered, but it may be enough to get y'all where you're going.

Stake's resources are largely out of control of the team itself.  Where did he keep his funds?  I'm not sure Achak would know.  You could try tossing the apartment, or any of the other bolt holes he had around.  It's fairly likely that would turn something up.  The suits are probably not worth much, but the hardware could be, depending on what you can find.

You are correct that you have three vampire bounties coming your way, and your math is correct that the team will net 14,344¥.

@All, how much are you comfortable sharing with Mr. Abbey?  If I have the broad points I can form his response.

About Manhattan, anything y'all are planning on running with besides the city itself and the airport Iki was heading to? 

Also, should you choose to pursue this angle, don't forget that you have the Johnson's commcode.

Anything that I'm missing?
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #839 on: <10-02-15/2123:29> »
Achak is liking the sound of the loan. Given that it's secured by the painting, the interest rate should be reasonable. Even if it's an above-market rate, it should only be for the time until Duncan sells the painting on the team's behalf. I presume the loan (and any interest) would be repaid from the proceeds, and Duncan would take his cut of the transaction too. In that sense it's an advance (with interest) on the sale. Does that sound about right? We can RP that out or keep it OOC. Achak is leaning in that direction.

Achak is comfortable sharing with Mr. Abbey.

Running to catch a bus now. More later.