NEWS

Hell on Water Novel

• 22 Replies

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #15 on: <01-10-15/1145:01> »
Personally, I loved the book; it has an unconventional writing style, which could be a problem to some folks.  It doesn't follow your usual gritty, brand-name infused neon-lights and acid rain style for cyberpunk.  The book is told from the perspective of a 'traditional' storyteller, the kind you'd hear around the campfire.  That makes more sense, since it's a 'run in Lagos.  He doesn't care what brand or model of gun the characters carried, he just says whether it's a pistol or a rifle or something else.  Regardless, he definitely isn't an omniscient storyteller, and it's worded that way.  It starts part-way through the run, with the storyteller pausing at certain points to flesh out how they got to said point, to flesh out the identities and personalities of the team. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-10-15/1554:59> »
Interesting...thanks. Guess I'll just have to check it out for myself ;)

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #17 on: <01-10-15/2143:00> »
I would imagine that one problem with the story is the lack of technology and the main plot is very basic. I mean, they are trying to cross a bridge!
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <01-10-15/2343:16> »
I don't know if Cayman and X-Prime have been featured in some other story but if I was Cayman I would probably have killed off X-Prime long ago ... Love them as a team though ^^
Cayman is profiled in Street Legends.

X-Prime appears in the opening fiction to the first chapter of Dirty Tricks.
« Last Edit: <01-10-15/2344:57> by Crimsondude »

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #19 on: <01-14-15/1925:01> »
I was quite disappointed by Fire & Frost (too many plot holes and obvious rewrites) but I really enjoyed Hell on Water. It was different from other SR novels, both in tone, style and atmosphere. The plot is pretty simple, but that didn't annoy me. I was reminded of movies like The Gauntlet or 16 Blocks: a group of people try to get from point A to point B without getting killed, and you learn more about them along the way. It's not the most memorable story ever, but it worked for me.
After reading it, I had ideas for runs set in Lagos, which in my opinion proves the novel does its job well.

For French-reading people, I wrote a more detailed review on my website.
« Last Edit: <01-14-15/1927:33> by Marzhin »
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

winterhawk

• Freelancer
  • Newb
  • Snarky British mages 'R' us
« Reply #20 on: <01-15-15/0205:45> »

For French-reading people, I wrote a more detailed review on my website.

And if you don't speak French, Google Translate does a pretty good job with this.
Rat
Borrowed Time, April 2015
Winterhawk's Virtual Magespace (SR Fiction) /  Blog
Stone and a Hard Place, Alastair Stone Chronicles #1

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #21 on: <01-15-15/0257:35> »
And if you don't speak French, Google Translate does a pretty good job with this.

I keep forgetting we are in the future and decent automatic translation is actually available  ;D
I've added a Google Translate widget directly on the site by the way.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <01-15-15/1341:26> »
Will be starting one this book over the weekend (what else are airports and planes good for ;))...sounding like it should be right up my alley.