NEWS

Character Guides for newbs {feedback wanted for first few drafts}

• 21 Replies

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <12-11-14/1355:15> »
Improved Physical Attribute is better for melee, because you need that Complex Action for attacks. Passives are often better.
For ranged you can hardly beat Attribute Boost, as you can still fire as a simple action.
Eh I don't see it as particularly crippling to have action 1 be Attribute Boost + shoot or take a defensive posture; action 2 being close in and melee.

Face: Kinesics seems ok, if you're telling a lie with con and someone is trying to gauge how truthful you are, extra dice to help that is surely a good thing? might just be how we play it at our table though.
After rereading it I had mistaken what it did. Judge Intentions is your INT + CHA versus the WIL + CHA of the person you're assessing. For a face, WIL + CHA should be pretty damn high. Kinesics helps make it higher but, I dunno, it has hardly ever come up in any game I've been in and that colors my view. It's cheap as hell for .25 PP which is what makes me think it'd be great to put a couple ranks in a focus. If anything it's better to avoid having your emotions Assensed.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <12-12-14/0225:16> »
Since you hardly shoot with your melee weapon, you'd need an action to stow it and draw another. But yes, if you don't have Ijaiutsu and are able to draw the weapon and attack with it in two simple actions, you often need a simple action to ready your weapon anyway or as an adept to activate the focus. Well, ok, too many other ways to spend the first pass getting ready for the beatdown that losing another simple action might not matter.

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <12-13-14/1727:02> »
I've got two additional points regarding the Rigger section.

1. I've interpreted the Roto-Drone text that a rigger could equip these with a heavy weapon mount (Because body is considered 8 for weapon mounts; even though not at charactercreation). If you agree with me, it might be a worthwile addition.
2. I've had tremendous success ingame with a Dalmatian VTOL drone and a grapple gun. The drone was able to carry me outside of combat zones or on top of buildings in urban areas very quickly this way. Well, got shot once while hanging there, but there's always a catch...

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #18 on: <12-13-14/1844:06> »
Not sure I follow, are you shooting the grapple gun at the drone or is it shooting it at you? Seems like it'd just be easier to port the costs for a winch over from Arsenal
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <12-13-14/1938:04> »
I've got two additional points regarding the Rigger section.

1. I've interpreted the Roto-Drone text that a rigger could equip these with a heavy weapon mount (Because body is considered 8 for weapon mounts; even though not at charactercreation). If you agree with me, it might be a worthwile addition.
Seems about right.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

McGuffin

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <12-14-14/1729:24> »
Not sure I follow, are you shooting the grapple gun at the drone or is it shooting it at you? Seems like it'd just be easier to port the costs for a winch over from Arsenal

My rigger is shooting the grapple gun (build into his cyberarm) at the drone. It's a VTOL drone and capable of hovering. I figured it would be faster to just shoot at it and get drawn up, while the drone can already maneuver elsewhere.
You're right, in SR4 you could equip a drone with a winch, but even then slots were sparse. I prefered to equip the Dalmatian with a blinding light and a laser weapon to mimic the Terminator Hunter-Killer drones  8)
In SR4 my rigger used a modular cyberarm with a grapple hand for this stunt.

A cheap everyday solution to achieve similar results of escape could be to have microwire spooled up into a custom-made belt buckle and the belt buckle shaped to be used as a carabiner. The drone would need to get very close to the rigger for that, but might be a good way if you're chased on top of a roof without other options or something ...

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #21 on: <12-15-14/0013:58> »
Note on the face: there's no sample build, like the street sam/adept and rigger have.
Thanks for your hard work, looking forward to the next.
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?