NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1410 on: <02-13-15/1201:25> »
Thanks, Doc! I think all I needed was 3. I'm assuming that can be split to get both the 1P and the 2S. Updating character sheet now, and I guess that wakes Ohanzee up since his stun track is no longer filled.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1411 on: <02-13-15/1244:39> »
Yes, the three hits can be split between P and S. That brings Ohanzee to 10S + 4P. He will wake up once Doc is done.

I am still working on the IC post for what's on the glasses. I got caught up in the karma stuff yesterday.

Current in-game time is approximately 4pm, Friday, February 1st, 2075. Technically, sunset is around 6pm, although it gets dark/colder sooner than that due to the surrounding mountains.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1412 on: <02-13-15/1250:03> »
I'll get an IC up of the actual medkit use after lunch today.  Gonna have a lot of time to kill taking a friend to get surgery on his broken finger (who knew?)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1413 on: <02-13-15/1330:29> »
Do we have any idea who Hotel is? I'm guessing Rigger, but could be a remote party.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1414 on: <02-13-15/1334:53> »
Rolling for Doc: 6 hits

Doc thinks that Hotel is the decker he bricked.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1415 on: <02-13-15/1351:10> »
Huh. I would have thought that was Delta. Which means the next question is who Delta was. From the order of the messages, it must be the first person Doc hit with an Attack action. Which would have been the enemy decker. I'm at a loss as to who else might have detected Matrix contact before the decker.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1416 on: <02-13-15/1354:04> »
I didn't say Doc was right. People are free to draw their own conclusions.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1417 on: <02-13-15/1358:49> »
Huh. I would have thought that was Delta. Which means the next question is who Delta was. From the order of the messages, it must be the first person Doc hit with an Attack action. Which would have been the enemy decker. I'm at a loss as to who else might have detected Matrix contact before the decker.

Since the chatter kept up well into the fight, we can probably use process of elimination to figure out who is who. 

As for the new info:

Very interesting.  Somebody tell me if I'm off-base here.

Looks like 2 "runners" came in looking for local support, which means they had a bead on our approximate location prior to the contact with the spirits.  These guys are independent enough to have negotiated and formed their own team, which tells me that HQ 1. has deep pockets (no surprise there) and 2. allows operatives to act semi-independently from management.  They seem surprised at the level of resistance they encountered -- strange since we'd already taken out a helicopter -- but since they came themselves this leads me to believe that we have taken out 1 cell, which may buy us a little time.  If multiple cells of the same organization are on our tail, they're most likely working independently of one another, which is a mixed bag as far as we're concerned.  The downsides are that we have no head to cut off, but on the upside, they are incapable of sharing information, unless it goes through a central intermediary.  Think Treadstone from The Bourne Identity or Anton Chigurh and Carson Wells from No Country for Old Men.  If we are dealing with multiple cells from 1 parent organization, there is a chance that the strike force assembled to investigate the Natelys could end up at odds with them, as I doubt our kidnapping looks like amateur hour and what the cells will be doing to hide their tracks are exactly the strategies such a strike force would be looking for.  Still, I wouldn't count on any in-game benefit as far as that goes. 

I'd like to roll some Security Tactics to see if Ace would agree with my thoughts here -- minus the pop culture references, of course.

Security Tactics: 9d6t5 2
Security Tactics (Corporate) Specialization: 2d6t5 0
Security Tactics (Rapid Response): 11d6t5 3

Not sure what all would apply, so I rolled the gamut.  I'll post Ace's thoughts IC once I hear the results.

When we get a working deck, we should check out the picture of the gunslinger that Ace took, see if anyone pops up.   
« Last Edit: <02-13-15/1404:54> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1418 on: <02-13-15/1415:43> »
Matrix Search can be done with a commlink. It does not require a deck.

Ace thinks he's onto something the with theory about operatives acting semi-autonomously / in cells.

The surprise about the level of opposition could suggest that:
1) these guys are a different cell than whoever was in the helicopter, although this theory has some gaps (the radically different approaches of the two teams, as well as their outward appearances), or
2) these guys are completely unrelated, and are some other bogeymen from the long list that Mal/Ohanzee has compiled.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1419 on: <02-13-15/1424:12> »
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, the phrasing of the "awakened target" + the surprise at the level of opposition lead me to believe that this cell is only aware of 1 team.  Either Katsina or Ohanzee was their main target. 

I'm assuming there was nothing in the chatter relating to the number, or nature, of opponents -- us -- that they were engaging, so I don't know which is more likely for Ace to assume IC, but OOC, things aren't much clearer.  Katsina has been trying to protect the obelisk since we got it, but it seems more likely that Ohanzee and his team were the ones orchestrating its extraction at the beginning.  Things are still fuzzy there for me.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1420 on: <02-13-15/1438:55> »
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, the phrasing of the "awakened target" + the surprise at the level of opposition lead me to believe that this cell is only aware of 1 team.  Either Katsina or Ohanzee was their main target. 

I'm assuming there was nothing in the chatter relating to the number, or nature, of opponents -- us -- that they were engaging, so I don't know which is more likely for Ace to assume IC, but OOC, things aren't much clearer.  Katsina has been trying to protect the obelisk since we got it, but it seems more likely that Ohanzee and his team were the ones orchestrating its extraction at the beginning.  Things are still fuzzy there for me.

I feel like if they had been after Katsina, they'd have come heavier.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1421 on: <02-13-15/1439:38> »
They were definitely coming after Kat since her detect enemies spell pinged them.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1422 on: <02-13-15/1444:50> »
They were definitely coming after Kat since her detect enemies spell pinged them.

Oh yeah, good point.
I'm not sure though. If their intent had been to attack the vehicle she was in, even though they didnt know she was in there, would that still set it off?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1423 on: <02-13-15/1502:25> »
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, the phrasing of the "awakened target" + the surprise at the level of opposition lead me to believe that this cell is only aware of 1 team.

This would be an intelligent conclusion.

If their intent had been to attack the vehicle she was in, even though they didnt know she was in there, would that still set it off?

OOCly, no, it would not. Malevolence is correct. Now, does Ohanzee know that ICly? He doesn't have any knowledge skills relating to spells, but he does have Arcana 3, which is probably relevant. Can he piece this together in his current addled state??
Logic 3 + Arcana 3 - 4 wounds: 1 hit!

Ohanzee comes to the correct conclusion, which is that Katsina's spell would not have detected them unless they were hostile to her specifically.

I feel like if they had been after Katsina, they'd have come heavier.

Geez, man, how much heavier do you want? Okay, next time it'll be 8 fire spirits instead of 4.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1424 on: <02-13-15/1505:21> »
Geez, man, how much heavier do you want? Okay, next time it'll be 8 fire spirits instead of 4.

Oh Ghost, please no. 

Ace would not at all be aware of the intricacies of Detect Enemy spells, so sticking with my IC as written.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal