NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1020 on: <01-22-15/0339:17> »
You got an exploding 6!

Might take care to extinguish your burning armor soon.

The good news is that Wolf is doing such a good job holding everyone else's attention that he is buying you time to get organized and get out.

Speaking of which, the escape hatch is on the right and leads to the saplings you crashed in. The windshield (which has been shot to pieces) and the driver's side door (which is now on the ceiling) are other options for egress.

Alternatively, Chino has Smashing Blow and can make his own exits wherever he wants them.

Next
Sam - no immediate targets
Wolf - many immediate targets
Ace

Edit: Happy 5-month birthday! We've been at this for five months now. And by "we" I mean me and Poindexter.
« Last Edit: <01-22-15/0343:03> by Tecumseh »

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1021 on: <01-22-15/0421:03> »
Wolf will finish off the mage, and then exit the vehicle through the most expedient route to get to the combat mage. He's also going to go Full Defense again (should have done that at the top of the round, or at the very least after the first time he got nailed).
Attack Mage [Agility 7 + Unarmed 6 - Wounds 3]: 10d6t5 2
Ugh, that's terrible. Hopefully the mage can't muster much of a dodge.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1022 on: <01-22-15/0949:34> »
8-bit don't forget Doc is essentially a combat surgeon.  You can let him know you need help.  We've not been particularly good about communicating.  I'll try to have Doc update everyone on what's going on in the matrix next IP.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

8-bit

« Reply #1023 on: <01-22-15/1048:54> »
8-bit don't forget Doc is essentially a combat surgeon.  You can let him know you need help.  We've not been particularly good about communicating.  I'll try to have Doc update everyone on what's going on in the matrix next IP.

Oh, sure. I know he is. It doesn't mean that Chino still isn't hurting pretty bad. Also, for all Chino knows (and what 8-bit does know), Doc is busy saving their asses from Matrix attacks and disrupting enemy communications.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1024 on: <01-22-15/1115:01> »
Good point about disrupting the comms, guess I'm accomplishing that by simply bricking them ;)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1025 on: <01-22-15/1117:43> »
For Ace:

Free: Walk to trees.  If Ace can kick open the hatch on his way out, he'll do that.  If not, he'll move through the broke windshield for action economy's sake.
Simple: Take Aim at nearest enemy on passenger side.  I believe that will be the street sam.
Simple: Fire Lancer single shot.  I have: AGI(9) + Laser Weapon (6) + Take Aim (1) - Wound Modifier (1) - Composure Modifier (1) = 14 dice.  I'm assuming the "bad" guys are within 25 meters

Ace's Lancer v. Street Sam's face: 14d6t5 4

Base damage is 7P -10AP

2 more power cells used.  That puts the Lancer at 6/10 ammo-wise.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1026 on: <01-22-15/1350:27> »
Ryo did a good job with the text art so I'll give it a try. Here's a top-down diagram of the situation, not to scale. GM is for the GMC Bulldog (can't put a B in brackets since that's the bbcode for "bold"), TH is the Tata Hotspur. The RV veered off the road to the right before flipping on its side.

The RV is 12 meters long. I'll say that the escape hatch is at the midpoint of the RV.

There's a lip to the road (road is slightly higher than the shoulder) that Ace and Sam would recognize as a decent place to go prone. The RV itself is decent cover but the trees are too thin and scraggly to offer much protection.

The underbody of the RV is exposed. That might be a liability.

*| r || r |*    /RV/
          *| o || o |*   /RV/
          *| a || a |*  /RV/
          *| d || d |* /RV/
          *|   ||[G]|*
          *|   ||[M]|*
(cliff)   *|   ||   |* (thin trees and underbrush)
          *|   ||[T]|*
          *|   ||[H]|*

@rednblack Walking doesn't require an action. Ace can walk 4-5 meters, which is enough for him to get out of the RV. However, if he wants to get to the end of the RV so that he can have an angle to shoot at the Bulldog or Tata, he will have to run, which is a Free Action. Ace, being a cyborg, has enough movement to do that, but if that's the plan then there will be a -2 penalty for firing in the same IP as running. He can shoulder open the hatch on his way.

Ace is ambidextrous so he doesn't have any penalties for firing from his off-hand. From the back of the RV it's 12 meters to the front of the Bulldog and 25 meters to the front of the Tata.

Just wanted to lay that all out before confirming your action. If that sounds good and you still want to proceed, go ahead and roll 2 dice to subtract from your shot total.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1027 on: <01-22-15/1418:27> »
Wolf will finish off the mage, and then exit the vehicle through the most expedient route to get to the combat mage. He's also going to go Full Defense again (should have done that at the top of the round, or at the very least after the first time he got nailed).

Not going Full Defense was a calculated decision I made on Wolf's behalf. It would have dropped him to the end of the initiative order, which would have opened him up to several additional attacks, including another magical strike that Full Defense wouldn't have applied to. I decided he had better odds tanking the physical attacks than he did waiting for the astral hammer to drop. Either way it was going to be a gamble.

In the future, if you know you want a character to go Full Defense go ahead and mention it as soon as possible. As an Interrupt Action it can occur at any time.

Attack Mage [Agility 7 + Unarmed 6 - Wounds 3]: 10d6t5 2
Ugh, that's terrible. Hopefully the mage can't muster much of a dodge.

Dodge: 8 base - 3 wounds - 2 constrained: 1 hit
Wolf's base DV is 10P -1AP, staged to 11P with net hits. This guy needs the roll of the day to make it.
Soak: 3 hits, not quite
Final damage is 8P added to the pre-existing 9P. The mage is at 17P; Wolf finishes him off in a shower of blood and gore.

When Wolf finishes off the mage:
1) one of the spirits attacking Katsina on the astral is released from its service and (with 8P) gets the hell out of there. It vanishes to the metaplanes.
2) the (bound) spirit attacking Ohanzee on the astral is released from its service and (with 7P) follows the example of the other spirit. It vanishes to the metaplanes.

Wolf can leap out the passenger-side window that Sam's grenade took out. Do you want him on Full Defense now?

Next
Sam
Ace (in progress)
remaining NPCs
Ohanzee

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1028 on: <01-22-15/1523:13> »
@rednblack Walking doesn't require an action. Ace can walk 4-5 meters, which is enough for him to get out of the RV. However, if he wants to get to the end of the RV so that he can have an angle to shoot at the Bulldog or Tata, he will have to run, which is a Free Action. Ace, being a cyborg, has enough movement to do that, but if that's the plan then there will be a -2 penalty for firing in the same IP as running. He can shoulder open the hatch on his way.

Ace is ambidextrous so he doesn't have any penalties for firing from his off-hand. From the back of the RV it's 12 meters to the front of the Bulldog and 25 meters to the front of the Tata.

Just wanted to lay that all out before confirming your action. If that sounds good and you still want to proceed, go ahead and roll 2 dice to subtract from your shot total.

Ace's base walking speed is 9 meters.  Is he at a penalty for the debris in the RV?  Assuming so, here's the -2

Running Penalty (-2): 2d6t5 1

That drops Ace's hits to 3.  Still at 7p, -10AP.  I'll hold off posting IC until I know if Ace was successful.

Does the street sam get a defense roll?  I'm assuming yes, but I'm not sure how engrossed he is with the melee combat.
« Last Edit: <01-22-15/1528:17> by rednblack »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1029 on: <01-22-15/1550:46> »
Wolf can leap out the passenger-side window that Sam's grenade took out. Do you want him on Full Defense now?
I had forgotten to account for it not taking effect against the Mage's Direct damage spells. Instead of heading for the mage, he's going to try to find cover from the mage somewhere where the mage is unlikely to be able to move to easily. His plan going forward is to snipe the street sam with Fear since it is LOS rather than melee range and basically try to break up the group so that they can be picked off one at a time. If he can find sufficient cover from the enemy combatants, he won't need FD, otherwise he'll try to minimize his exposure to enemy fire with an emphasis on the mage and go FD. The "top" of the RV seems like a good place that gives him cover and makes it nearly impossible for the enemy to reach him quickly.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1030 on: <01-22-15/1724:22> »
Ace's base walking speed is 9 meters.

Ace's base walking rate is 9 meters per Combat Turn. As Ace will have two IPs, his per-IP movement rate is half of the base rate.

Does the street sam get a defense roll?  I'm assuming yes, but I'm not sure how engrossed he is with the melee combat.

The street sam does not get a defense roll but he does get dice to represent cover.
Good cover: 2 hits, so close
Base damage is 7P -10AP staged up to 8P with the net hit.
Soaking: 3 hits
Damage exceeds post-AP armor rating and is thus Physical. 5P to the samurai, minus 1P for platelet factories, so 4P total. He loses a point of initiative as a result.

Instead of heading for the mage, he's going to try to find cover from the mage somewhere where the mage is unlikely to be able to move to easily. ... If he can find sufficient cover from the enemy combatants, he won't need FD, otherwise he'll try to minimize his exposure to enemy fire with an emphasis on the mage and go FD. The "top" of the RV seems like a good place that gives him cover and makes it nearly impossible for the enemy to reach him quickly.

This is a bit tricky. The easiest and most obvious way out of the Bulldog for Wolf is via the passenger-side windows, which have been blown out, but that would put Wolf directly in the LOS of the combat mage. There aren't any other open routes out of the Bulldog right now. Wolf, being an astral entity, probably isn't up on the nuances of door handles and the like. He could probably figure it out but even so he'd need a Simple Action to open the door. (I'll gloss over any difficulties that Wolf might actually have manipulating a door handle so that we don't end up with humanoid-only spirits in the future.)

Flattening himself out on the floor of the Bulldog would get him out of LOS for the mage and might be a reasonable way of describing Full Defense. Additionally/alternatively, he could save his Free Action and hope that a better avenue of escape presents itself.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1031 on: <01-22-15/1836:06> »
is it feasible for sam to remove the bomb from his bag, move to the obelisk, arm the bomb, and attach it this round?

What sort of actions would those be?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1032 on: <01-22-15/1902:23> »
Per the Fire Spirit's Accident power, Sam is still prone. Also, the obelisk is currently covered by the burning remnants of its crate.

Sam would need to:

1. Stand up (Simple)
2. Pick up Object (Simple)
3. Move (two IPs of walking or one IP of running as a Free Action)
4. Address burning crate (variable)
5. Activate & Attach (two Simples / one Complex)

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1033 on: <01-22-15/1929:29> »
Per the Fire Spirit's Accident power, Sam is still prone. Also, the obelisk is currently covered by the burning remnants of its crate.

Sam would need to:

1. Stand up (Simple)
2. Pick up Object (Simple)
3. Move (two IPs of walking or one IP of running as a Free Action)
4. Address burning crate (variable)
5. Activate & Attach (two Simples / one Complex)

Ok, so sam will be walking toward the obelisk for his move,
Simple: stand up
Simple: remove bomb from bag
free: continue swearing. (I'm gonna ride out the blind rage thing until the penalty from the composure test wears off. This is round 2 of 3 rounds worth of penalty for sam since he only got 1 hit on the test, right?)

Also, correct me I'f im wrong, but there are no foes in Sams FOV right now, him being inside the RV, right? I mean, fleshy or mechanical ones that bullets can hurt.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1034 on: <01-22-15/1934:28> »
At the end of this IP everyone's Composure modifier will go down by one. So Sam is -3 now but will be -2 next IP. It also means your Initiative scores will go up +1 next IP.

And correct, there are no foes in Sam's field of vision.