NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #480 on: <12-18-14/0020:33> »
Is Dad and Johnson the same contact (by commlink ID?).

For the most part, it seems like a pretty free-form code. You ask if she got the shipment, disguising it as something innocuous. Flowers, invitation. This last week we didn't ship anything, so even if there is some actual meaning to the word choice, it doesn't matter. The last message seems like something changed. I wonder if the first two shipments were a sort of test before being able to meet the Johnson himself (Dad) and go for the main prize. Or perhaps only the flowers were a shipment, and the invitation was an actual invitation - perhaps to take part in this job.

So, my guess is that Mom won't be expecting to hear from us as she would likely know that we stiffed the Johnson. Or she's dead if she was our go between and the Johnson included her in his vendetta against us. Assuming Mom is actually a she. So, we can at least attempt contact and see if we hear back.

So, the Johnson screwed us. How? Did we not know what the weapon was? Did he infect us? Is payment perhaps blood instead of money in order to slow the infection, similar to what Katsina (and  maybe Ace) was likely doing with the blood in her fridge? Lots of unanswered questions, to be sure.

So, if we do decide to talk to Mom, what do we say? Assuming the code is mostly inferred rather than predetermined, we have to figure out what we want to ask. Maybe "Is Dad mad?" to see if she was party to the current job involving the artifact. And assuming that "Dad" refers to the Johnson.

In essence, regardless of who Mom and Dad are and their relationship to this job, we should decide what we want to say, then just make it oblique.

ETA: Does Gift Shop have a physical address attached?
« Last Edit: <12-18-14/0023:30> by Malevolence »
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #481 on: <12-18-14/0104:38> »
Did you share the messages with everyone and I just missed that?  (I've said RIH a lot, but I apparently suck at it)
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #482 on: <12-18-14/0109:37> »
They are on page one of the original IC thread.

ETA link.
« Last Edit: <12-18-14/0111:25> by Malevolence »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #483 on: <12-18-14/0252:10> »
Dad and the Johnson do not have the same commcode. Upon further investigation, Dad doesn't even have a commcode. He/she/it is listed as being located in Moscow, Russia, but there is little other information to suggest why Dad would even be listed as a contact.

Gift Shop, conversely, has a commcode listed but no physical location.

I wasn't necessarily thinking that you would figure the code out, but nor do I want it to become frustrating and unfun. I was thinking that players would throw some ideas out like Malevolence did, maybe brainstorm a bit and then take a stab at composing a response.

We have in our midst, however, Doc - a Good Will Hunting supergenius. If you like, we can roll a Teamwork test of LOG+WIL. Doc would be the team leader, Ohanzee/Sam/Chino could roll to contribute dice. It may not solve the code but it could give you some direction.

I'll be composing an IC post to cover Katsina's response to Ohanzee plus Ohanzee's investigation of the obelisk.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #484 on: <12-18-14/0310:37> »
Code cracking [Log 3 + Wil 6 - Wound 1]: 8d6t5 1

Heh. Well below average.

8-bit

« Reply #485 on: <12-18-14/0315:09> »
Code Cracking Teamwork (Logic 4 + Willpower 5): 9d6t5 2 [5, 6, 2, 2, 4, 3, 4, 1, 2]

Not too great either. Didn't take the extra die from teamwork tests; let's see what I get.

Teamwork Test Bonus: 1d6t5 0 [1]

Nope, nothing.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #486 on: <12-18-14/0327:47> »
Actually, could I use leadership in place of the log+wil roll? It'd add 3 more dice.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #487 on: <12-18-14/0342:44> »
Sure. I expect cheer-leading and pompoms though. Roll 3 extra dice.

Working on Ohanzee's post now.

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #488 on: <12-18-14/0739:14> »
Jogging through Aspen does wonders to cleanse one's mind. Ace recommends it.

LOG + WIL (code cracking): 7d6t5 3
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #489 on: <12-18-14/1132:00> »
Teamwork Logic+Willpower 14: 14d6t5 4
And then I get more dice for each of everyone elses successes?

Hacking rolls/IC coming up.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #490 on: <12-18-14/1151:21> »
Deck configuration:
Signal Scrub; Stealth; Encryption; Agent
Attack: 4; Sleaze: 7(8 ); DP: 5; FW: 6(7)
Not running silently now

HotF *AGAIN* on the human:
Marks on the Human Logic(9)+Hacking(6)+VR(2)+DJ(1)+SS(2)-Noise(3)-Wounds(1) = 16: 16d6t5 7 (limit 8 )

If he gets 6 hits, I don't get to any extra info (I'm not worried about the extra info on the orks, just wanted marks on them to keep an eye on it); otherwise I'm going to want to know what devices are slaved to this comm.

Assuming that works, I'm going to spoof command on the car to invite 3 marks forever from me:
Spoof Command Hacking(6) + Intuition(4) + Qualia(1) + VR(2) + DJ(1) + SS(2) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1)=12: 12d6t5 3(limit 8 )
Edge that for me if Doc doesn't think that'll work (at least he doesn't have to worry about badluck again!)
If that works, place 3 marks on the car (which gives me marks on the owner, for double backwards upside down hacking!)

Then removing the mark on me:
Erase mark Computer(5)+Logic(9)+VR(2)+DataJack(1)+SignalScrub(2)-Wounds(1)-Noise(3) = 15: 15d6t5 5

Then run silently again.

I'll post IC with the results.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #491 on: <12-18-14/1532:06> »
Today was supposed to be quieter at work but so far hasn't worked out that way.

@Rednblack, I think Sam only shared the coded messages with Blue Team. Poindexter can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Ace and Katsina can contribute to the code cracking.

@Zweiblumen, the car can't invite marks because it isn't the owner / it doesn't own itself. Zed or Zed's daddy or some corp that Zed works for is the owner. You can't spoof Zed because he's a persona, so if you want three marks on Zed you'll have to earn them the old fashioned way.

Poindexter can roll his LOG+WIL if he wants, and Mal can roll 3 extra dice for using Leadership instead. Then we'll take the hits and reroll them to see how many successes we add to Doc's 4 hits.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #492 on: <12-18-14/1536:17> »
will+log: 9d6t5 2

Sorry if im a little distant for a little bit here.

Shit's real fucked up on my end at the moment.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #493 on: <12-18-14/1733:58> »
And here I thought I was going after his comm, thought he wouldn't have a persona unless he was in VR and given he was running down the street made the assumption that he was in AR.  Do I have that all wrong?  If I can only get marks on the persona, can I use that to find out where his car is with an MP test?  (Just need to find the icon for the car so I can go ahead and start marking that.)

If that works here's my rolls:
MP to find car Computer(5) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia(1) + VR(2) + SS(2) + DJ(1) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1) = 11: 11d6t5 2
That should get me two questions, one is going to be where is the car icon.
Then I'll remove his mark from me (as I may be getting more and that's the bad), can we use the previous roll?
Next is getting three marks on the car (1 at a time because I'm rolling for shit):
Marks on Car (HotF) Hacking(6) + Logic(9) + VR(2) + SS(2) + DJ(1) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1) = 16: 3#16d6t5 7 8 4 (limit 8 )

Pretty confident in the first 2, but if I've a feeling the 3rd one might miss, I'll edge it.

Next is control device telling it to autopilot to the next town.  Dunno if I'll be able to control it after that due to distance/noise, but I'll set an alert so that when those marks of mine reach their destination I'll be alerted.  Also telling the Agent to monitor those marks while in it's overwatch rotation (Ie, ever 3 or 5 turn check on those marks or some such like that).
Control Device EW(6) + Intuition(4) + Ganglia(1) + VR(2) + SS(2) + DJ(1) - Noise(3) - Wounds(1) = 12: 12d6t5 5 (limit 8 )

Is that tactic doable?

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #494 on: <12-18-14/1737:41> »
Additional Leadership Dice: 3d6t5 0

Well, that was useful.