NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1800 on: <04-01-15/1909:37> »
IC up. Ohanzee is taking charge again as no one seems to object.

@Tec - just let me know when you want me to roll for Ohanzee's physical wounds.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1801 on: <04-01-15/1925:19> »
Taking charge is good. Much better than the GM artificially kicking the can down the road for lack of player initiative.

Aside from some post-BTL conversation, I'm not hearing about much that will happen in the next 9+ hours. We'll need some RP from Sam for the smartlink work and some continued RP for Doc looking after Ohanzee so that Mal can get the Medicine dice for his healing roll.

At this point I don't see anything that will interfere with Ohanzee's healing, so you are free to roll for it whenever you like. You can add 6 dice from Doc's previous Medicine roll.

@Zweiblumen, we should probably kick off Doc's Matrix research. Go ahead and give me your first steps.

I might be away from the computer for a good portion of tomorrow. Hopefully I can post in the morning and then again later in the evening. I should have full access again on Friday.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1802 on: <04-01-15/1958:50> »
For re-watching the BTL
Does anything spark recognition (Log 4 + Wil 5): 9d6t5 1
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1803 on: <04-01-15/2022:46> »
Heal check:
Healing (Bodx2 6 + Doc's Medicine 6): 12d6t5 5

All healed. I think that I would normally get six more dice for the medkit, or would Doc have taken that (he didn't in his roll)? It's irrelevant for this, but I'm curious as to where it gets rolled usually.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1804 on: <04-01-15/2028:30> »
Also, for when we leave and Ohanzee can cast spells again:

Increase Reflexes (F6) [Spellcasting 5 + Magic 6 + Focus 2]: 13d6t5 4
And spend 1 karma to quicken.
Resist Drain [WIL 6 + CHA 6 + Centering 1]: 13d6t5 4
2 stun right out of the gate. Hopefully he'll have plenty of time to find an hour to rest.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1805 on: <04-01-15/2257:47> »
All healed. I think that I would normally get six more dice for the medkit, or would Doc have taken that (he didn't in his roll)? It's irrelevant for this, but I'm curious as to where it gets rolled usually.

The core rule book doesn't mention medkits being used in conjunction with the Medicine skill. It would be reasonable to require one to avoid the "no medical supplies" penalty, but otherwise medkits only provide bonuses to First Aid. It does say that autodocs can have the Medicine skill. These rules and descriptions are largely unchanged from SR4A.

Bullets & Bandages cracks the door open a bit but is never very explicit, partly because it keeps combining medkits and autodocs in the same sentences without distinguishing between the two. It talks about using "the appropriate Biotech skill", which opens the way for Medicine, but, again, mostly seems to suggest that First Aid is for medkits and Medicine is for autodocs.

So, in this case, I wouldn't have added any bonus dice to the roll unless you had an autodoc (a large drone costing ¥4,000 in SR4A). As for whether the dice would have been added to Doc's roll or yours, then the basic answer is "wherever it is most optimal for the player".

@Malevolence Congrats on the new IP passes. When and where exactly do you plan on doing the casting? Just when you're done with the physical healing roll in the evening? Please RP it out, as there may be in-game effects (other than the extra Initiative, obviously).

@Poindexter Watching the BTL on the trid projector doesn't trigger much for Sam. He notes that Chino and Doc seem to be stealing guns... and that Sam likes guns a lot ... but that's hardly unique in the Sixth World. Sam doesn't remember anything that would disabuse him of his preferred conclusion (i.e. that it's just a coincidence... maybe "the big lug" is Mom? Maybe "lug" is gender indistinct? yeah... that's the ticket...)

8-bit

« Reply #1806 on: <04-02-15/1646:45> »
Do you want me to roll Memory and/or Smuggling Routes if we do decide to cross borders? Chino is fairly confident he can get us through a border or two without being spotted, so he'll want to probe his memory for a few more chinks in the armor, so to speak. He doesn't have much else to do, as it is.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1807 on: <04-02-15/1648:03> »
I'd like to try Doc's idea of mentally willing the nanites to assist in healing. It is irrelevant as my natural healing seems to have handled it (which would have been unknown at this point anyway), but it might produce an observable effect for Doc which might help answer some questions. So, that's what I'm putting in my IC, incase it isn't clear there.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1808 on: <04-02-15/1756:38> »
Doubt it'll help, but lets try a memory test to see if the trid clicked any memories into place:
memory check (Log 9 + Will 5 = 14): 14d6t5 5
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1809 on: <04-02-15/1833:48> »
Since all the cool kids are doing it:
Memory Test [Log 3 + Wil 6]: 9d6t5 4
To see if I remember anything about smuggling weapons or being in a cult. Heck, if the healing trick works, I'll see if I can get the nanites to rebuild the mental pathways so I can access my memories.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1810 on: <04-03-15/0225:59> »
Nanites
Concentrating on the nanites does not seem to promote healing. Doc, checking his monitors, notes that the nanites stay concentrated in the prefrontal cortex, plus the thyroid and the adrenal glands. The nanites are also active in the immune system, but this activity seems to be focused on eliminating pathogens and other impurities. This might promote healing indirectly by combating infection, but the nanites don't seem to be stitching bone or muscle or organs back together.

When Ohanzee drinks a beer, Doc will notice the nanites going into a frenzy to scrub the alcohol out of his system. Feel free to RP all of this how you like.

Borders
Chino already rolled for border crossings, and knows several that he think will work. However, these are all remote and will present some challenging logistics. (For example, getting across the border is easy but you won't have a vehicle on one side. Great, are we just going to hike through the snow and mountains for for two days with Ohanzee levitating the obelisk the whole way?)

Katsina mentioned a quick trip into Denver to deliver a quicksilver photograph to DIMR's headquarters. She was thinking of this being a very brief trip without everyone tagging along, preferably just the people with strong SINs who could cross borders quickly and legally. Ace, Ohanzee, and Katsina would be the most logical candidates, although it's unclear whether quickened spells will catch the attention of border patrol. Then they would return and rejoin the rest of the group (and the obelisk) back in the PCC, where the meet would occur.

Or you could just hire a courier to take the the quicksilver photograph to Denver for you, but Katsina didn't think of that.

Memory tests
Blue Team is reasonably certain that they've known each other for some time. Does that mean two months (just for this job), or six months (enough time to encompass the BTL recording), or longer? That's still uncertain.

Both Doc and Ohanzee feel like there might be a clue in the various nanite levels of the team:

Doc = 10
Chino = 6
Sam/Ohanzee = 2-3
Ace = <1
Katsina = 0

This suggests that Doc is the source of the nanites. The fact that Chino is the second-most infected either implies that he and Doc were close buds and spent a lot of time together (which the BTL recording would certainly suggest) or that they've known each other longer than they've known Sam and Ohanzee.

Ace's level of infection is maybe 1/3rd of a point. Maybe you could do some math and say "Doc has known Ace for 48 hours, and this is how infected he is after 48 hours, what does that suggest for how long Doc has known Sam and Ohanzee", but there are several factors you don't know about the infection. Namely, how fast the infection spreads from person to person, the importance of physical proximity, how quickly the nanites replicate by themselves once a carrier is infected, and so on. And, of course, you don't even know if Doc has been infected with the nanites for the whole time that he's known the rest of Blue Team. Perhaps the nanite infection is relatively recent but Blue Team has known each other for ages.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1811 on: <04-03-15/1810:07> »
Ohanzee's spellcasting reminds Katsina that she knows the Increase Reflexes preparation. She'll try a small one:

Increase Reflexes @ F4
Magic 6 + Enchanting 5 + Mentor Spirit 2 + Focus 2: 15d6t5 5 hits, capped at 4 by Limit

Soaking 4 draing: Willpower 6 + Intuition 6: 12d6t5 4 hits, no drain

Katsina creates a Force 4, Potency 4 preparation.

You're at the outdoors store, so people can RP shopping as they like. Malevolence, if you want anything from the talismonger store (like reagents), let me know. Katsina has lots of reagents but I'm falling into the "I might need these later" trap, which is ironic since I'm the GM.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1812 on: <04-03-15/1911:10> »
My problem is I don't have enough money to buy much in the way of reagents and the only thing I can really do with less than a bunch (100+) is use it to set limits on spell casting. Probably would have been good to do with Increase Reflexes to take less drain, but meh. Any rituals, binding, or lodges take up way too many for Ohanzee's budget.

I'll get an IC later, but I think that we might want to see what is available for cheap or camp out, but probably somewhere West on the 70 just in case they are sweeping the roads heading to Denver.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1813 on: <04-06-15/1434:00> »
Here's a draft of what it might cost to suitably outfit yourselves for some extended cold-weather camping. It might be possible to eliminate or consolidate certain costs. For example, if not everyone is sleeping at the same time then you don't need 6 sleeping bags. If you do igloos or snow caves, you can skip the tents.

For food, I am presuming that you use what's in the cooler. That should last for a couple days. You can buy more if you want. If you're buying MREs, ¥100/day will feed the team (taking into account Sam's and Chino's needs, somewhat offset by Katsina's less traditional menu).

For sunglasses, most of you have flare comp of some sort. They're mostly to round the costs off to a nice figure.

The total for the draft below is ¥6,000. After paying for the safehouse, quicksilver camera, rental van for another day, etc. you have ¥8,420 if I've done the math right. So you can afford this but it's a big chunk of your wallet.

There might be a discount on this stuff, because I vaguely recall that these products are cheaper in the PCC than in the UCAS, but I'm away from my books at the moment. I'll look it up tonight.

WhatCost          How Many     Total
backpacks¥1006¥600
tents¥4002¥800
sleeping bags¥1506¥900
ground cloth¥302¥60
sleeping pad¥1506¥900
poles/ice axe¥806¥480
snowshoes¥1506¥900
gloves¥506¥300
hats/balaklavas      ¥256¥150
gaiters¥756¥450
stove¥1001¥100
stove fuel¥812¥100
pots/pans¥501¥50
utensils¥156¥90
snow shovel¥701¥70
sunglasses¥252¥50

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1814 on: <04-06-15/1642:22> »
Sorry for my tardiness. I'm traveling and on vacation. I'll be more present after Wednesday, but I'll try and get a decent post up tonight so as to not slow us down. Doc has a lot to add, I've been reading!

Again.msorry for being mia, I should have let you guys know my schedule. I'll catch up soon.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Register