NEWS

Spirit Army of Certain Doom

• 26 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #15 on: <11-03-14/0948:33> »
Don't forget, by the way, that Spirits take 1 pass to materialize. Not enough to take out an entire army, but it does mean their enemies get the first shot in.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <11-03-14/1002:06> »
They were called directly to materialize, though.

And it seems you're right. Lending services is gone. It was an interesting use for a bound spirit.

@Sabato:
Well, I think trying to blindfire an invisible enemy could provoke the "how does he know where to aim?" discussion.

Sabato Kuroi

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <11-03-14/1121:19> »
It's not as difficult as you may think.Αn adept could assense the invisible shaman then shoot him with a regular pistol.

Anyway assuming the enemies perceived  the shaman throwing his mojo around they had time to attack him before he had the chance to go "poof".It isnt a bad tactic to use invisibility, what I'm trying to say is everything can be countered.
Your tactic worked wonders last time, but dont worry, there is no godmode in rpgs, your GM can provide interesting fights that can challenge all of his players

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #18 on: <11-03-14/1224:00> »
They were called directly to materialize, though.
And Materialization is a Complex Action, so only on their second pass can they actually fight. You nearly always get the first attack against a freshly-called-upon Spirit.

Edit: Also, small note: Unless the spirits were called upon and given Combat instructions before the fight, it takes 1 IP per Spirit: 1 Simple to call them from metaplane to Astral and 1 Simple to command them. If you have them on astral standby (which can be annoyed against with wards and such), it's 1 IP per 2 Spirits, and only if they have been given instructions equalling a Combat Service before combat starts would you be able to get all 4 ready in IP 1 (and then they can start fighting in IP 2, unless they already materialized before combat). And asking for a combat service long before combat starts is a bit strange.
« Last Edit: <11-03-14/1602:24> by Michael Chandra »

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-04-14/0303:03> »
Calling and Commanding can be done via the spirit-summoner-link and thereby go unnoticed. Only astrally perceiving entities could notice the spirits gathering on the astral.
And you can issue the same command as one simple action to multiple spirits. It only seems that you really have to use one simple action per spirit to call them from stand-by first. So it seems to me entirely possible to spend 4 simple actions to call 4 spirits and then another simple action to issue the command before anyone noticing what's about to happen.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #20 on: <11-04-14/0407:23> »
Which is cute and all if combat hasn't started yet, but if it has already started the Summoner takes a delay before it all comes into action. Also, the Spirits could be noticed by astral perceivers, so if you get them while pretending to still try to talk things out, chances are the enemies will get really pissed. So there's complications to the usage of a spirit army.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-04-14/0446:26> »
I just reread p. 280 CRB on Perceiving Magic:

Spirits sometimes cause the air to shimmer, even from astral space.

Does it mean that you can recognize an astral spirit with the test that follows? The threshold would be trivial, since no skill is involved.

8-bit

« Reply #22 on: <11-04-14/1044:29> »
I just reread p. 280 CRB on Perceiving Magic:

Spirits sometimes cause the air to shimmer, even from astral space.

Does it mean that you can recognize an astral spirit with the test that follows? The threshold would be trivial, since no skill is involved.

Yes, and it makes sense if you think about it. A smaller and weaker spirit doesn't have a great imprint, but a strong spirit has quite the physical and astral footprint.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <11-04-14/1135:49> »
Sure, it makes sense. But is it meant as fluff because of the use of "sometimes" or as an actual rule?
Because at Force 6 it would become an "always" as a threshold of zero should result in automatic detection.

8-bit

« Reply #24 on: <11-04-14/1158:52> »
Sure, it makes sense. But is it meant as fluff because of the use of "sometimes" or as an actual rule?
Because at Force 6 it would become an "always" as a threshold of zero should result in automatic detection.

That is a good point. I would say "sometimes", just because people aren't always perceptive and aware enough to detect magic. It also makes stuff like Influence really noticeable IMO.

I can't say that ruling is RAW, but I think that's what they intended.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #25 on: <11-04-14/1225:28> »
Remember, visibility modifiers apply to spot a spirit...

So its not as easy as you would think, even with a high level spirit. Couple that with the fact that spirits aren't bound by gravity and that spirit could materialize anywhere
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Sternenwind

• Chummer
  • ~maunz~
« Reply #26 on: <11-19-14/1929:12> »
A little late, I am sorry, but here some information from the mage side.
For good or bad, maybe it helps you.

After all was done, Johnson was happy and everypony got their karma and nyuen, one mage bled money for this stun and the other broke even.
Every point of Edge you use in the Downtime for summoning, binding and similar action comes from the upcoming run. (Housrule, like the one Top Dog suggested)
Both mages are initiates, were converted to SR5 and have 250+ Karma.
Shaman had Mag 8, and the shintoist had Mag 6, generalist with high initiate grade.
Both mages were going more or less prepared in this situation, used surprise for their initial mojo, and one used Edge to be first in the next initiative pass.

Both characters and players were annoyed with the situation, and the gm was not that happy about the adventure. Don’t know the name but it was the last of the “Dawn of the Artefacts” series were the runner chase an artifact that coincidentally got stolen, traded away and stuff before the runner can get it. The zeppelin stun was not the end of this spirit show. After the fight was over and we checked that the Artefact got stolen from the Zeppelin, by the guys who busted the party with heavy fire. We used spirits to track down their mates and toke down their military transport plane with the surviving AA commando team. The GM was so nice to not play it out.

I think there were some misunderstandings between players and gm, characters and npcs and some frustration about the plot, setting and overall situation. And yeah, after the captain of the zeppelin just told the team that she never had any intention to trade the artefact. She only invited the character on this little trip and wasted there time because she found other means impolite. And after she told them that for 1 million nuyen she would think about it, things got nasty … and bloody.

I don’t think anybody was happy with this situation, and had much fun in this moment. I had not. But not everything can be sunshine, unicorn and cake.

So …
For the following please keep in mind that I played the “Shintoist”. I am bias in this case.
If you don’t use Edge for the spirits, and roll beyond good and evil, the Drain will not KO these characters with standard drain rules. From my point of view, the worst were the 15+ Initiative passes for the mage characters (including spirits initiative passes spirit), while the rest only could take cover (assault rifle suppression fire 6+ hits- thanks you very much) or were busy running into melee range. We don’t use the SR5 “you can use all your movement in the first pass” rule.

We were using this F-1 as basic Drain for spirits, because once up one a time the majority of GMs were not happy about SR4 summoning drain rules. It has to do with some stuff that happened ingame and it comes down to:
1. The drain is to irregular and in the most cases a joke.
2. GM did not like it, that this stupid shintoist summoned a spirit, supported the team and was knocked out for the rest of the session. (simplified and exaggerated)

At last some other ideas we are playing with;
- The other players can control and play the spirits.
- Every active bound spirits gives you a penalty on your dice pool, like sustaining a spell.
« Last Edit: <11-20-14/0807:45> by Sternenwind »