NEWS

Populating Seattle

• 79 Replies

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #45 on: <10-23-14/1721:53> »
I could try starting in on Seattle 2072 to get information dissected. I have never GM'ed a Shadowrun game before, so any NPCs would probably just be barebones descriptions.

Any descriptions I find/come up with would probably be posted here if you don't mind. Unless you want me to post them somewhere else.

If you can make them into a document and either hold onto the document or send me a PM with the document attached, that would be ideal.  Thanks for volunteering!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

8-bit

« Reply #46 on: <10-23-14/1724:34> »
I could try starting in on Seattle 2072 to get information dissected. I have never GM'ed a Shadowrun game before, so any NPCs would probably just be barebones descriptions.

Any descriptions I find/come up with would probably be posted here if you don't mind. Unless you want me to post them somewhere else.

If you can make them into a document and either hold onto the document or send me a PM with the document attached, that would be ideal.  Thanks for volunteering!

Is a Google Doc all right? Also, no problem with volunteering, just expect it to take a little bit of time.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <10-23-14/1941:30> »
Google Docs are great - I use them for most of my stuff too.  I've got about 45 minutes before I need to go somewhere, so I'm going to try loading MediaWiki on the site now.  If successful, I'll have some info for it up later hopefully tonight.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <10-23-14/2021:36> »
Alright, I got MediaWiki installed on the site the Michael provided.  For now, I've just locked the Wiki from being edited.  I haven't played with users, administrative rights, etc. yet so don't expect much.  All I did was change the logo to the SR5 logo from Catalyst's media kit.  The site is located here: http://www.eternaldreamers.com/srwiki/index.php

You should be free to register at the wiki, but as I said it's currently locked to edits.  Once I have a chance to go in and play with the PHP files a bit, I'll open it up.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #49 on: <10-24-14/0016:43> »
Registration not yet allowed.   Nope nope nope nope.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #50 on: <10-24-14/0238:49> »
Oh, and I am reminded: if we want the wiki to survive, we do not want to extensively duplicate copyrighted material.  Extract address and basic info all you want - 'Rubber Suit, 123 Elm Street, Yakuza hangout' - and then reference it (Seattle Sourcebook, New Seattle, etc.) so that people can go get the entire skinny, but anything extensive really needs to not be there.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

8-bit

« Reply #51 on: <10-24-14/0308:15> »
Oh, and I am reminded: if we want the wiki to survive, we do not want to extensively duplicate copyrighted material.  Extract address and basic info all you want - 'Rubber Suit, 123 Elm Street, Yakuza hangout' - and then reference it (Seattle Sourcebook, New Seattle, etc.) so that people can go get the entire skinny, but anything extensive really needs to not be there.

When I get to extracting some information from Seattle 2072, I'll set up a sample of what it will look like to make sure we aren't violating any copyright material. Sound ok?

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #52 on: <10-24-14/0938:58> »
so far Ive seen descriptions on chinagreenelvis and the second map also linked in this thread, and descriptions are pretty complex...
« Last Edit: <10-24-14/2256:10> by Sichr »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <10-24-14/1406:30> »
so far Ive seen descriptions on chinagreenelvis and the second map also linled in this thread, and descriptions are pretty complex...

I don't understand this post, Sichr.  Can you clarify?

Just so everyone's clear on this: once this gets opened up for editing, we have to be exceptionally careful about not stepping on copyrights.  That means that we copy nothing from the books.  Edits must be made in your own words, and references must be made to the original material source.  Images and text cannot be used from the books, unless we have permission from Catalyst.  Once we start adding fan-made NPCs, locations, and organizations, we need to be exceptionally careful not to use any art that is copyrighted as well.  If anyone violates this, their privileges to make edits will be revoked.

8-bit

« Reply #54 on: <10-24-14/2003:46> »
so far Ive seen descriptions on chinagreenelvis and the second map also linled in this thread, and descriptions are pretty complex...

Just so everyone's clear on this: once this gets opened up for editing, we have to be exceptionally careful about not stepping on copyrights.  That means that we copy nothing from the books.  Edits must be made in your own words, and references must be made to the original material source.  Images and text cannot be used from the books, unless we have permission from Catalyst.  Once we start adding fan-made NPCs, locations, and organizations, we need to be exceptionally careful not to use any art that is copyrighted as well.  If anyone violates this, their privileges to make edits will be revoked.

Without using any maps from the books, can I take a Google Map and plug in addresses for reference? I can always just leave it as barebones text if you want, but I figured having a map of Seattle with the addresses of Locations would be useful. I'll make sure I double check that I'm not using text from the books with the descriptions as well.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <10-24-14/2239:51> »
There was someone on the boards here that has a map of the world in Google Earth, with overlays to represent all the canonical locations and several locations that are fan-made as well.  I'd like to either use that, or find a way to do it ourselves.  So go ahead and use the real-world address, but bear in mind that there are several key differences between SR's and the real Seattle.  Namely the Renraku Arcology, quite a bit of false land that was reclaimed from the Puget Sound, and a TON of streets and neighborhoods that changed a lot.

So feel free to do it, it's great preparatory work, and then we'll update it as necessary once we have a strategy for using Google Maps or Earth or something.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #56 on: <10-24-14/2301:07> »

I can. look at the two projects liked here in this thread:
A detailed pdf map seems like a bit much. Personally I'd prefer figuring out how to update these, especially the first, and hosting that:

http://www.1w6.de/rpg/sr/map/
http://www.chinagreenelvis.com/gaming/tools/shadowrun/map/

if you check the locations on the map, quite often you got a description that is pretty close to those in books. Is it problem....or was it problem so far?
« Last Edit: <10-24-14/2306:41> by Sichr »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <10-24-14/2316:26> »
Ahhh, now I understand.  Thank you!

I'm not sure if it was ever a problem, or if it would ever become a problem to use the data in that way.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably perfectly fine.  However, I should probably ask for clarification from Catalyst before giving a definite answer.

Tai-Pan

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
  • Everything is better with lube.
« Reply #58 on: <10-25-14/0232:39> »
Is the site already down? Tried loading and got errors.
Troll bioadept with a throwing knife and a lube grenade looking for a good time.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #59 on: <10-25-14/0235:20> »
Well the wiki registration isn't open yet, and nothing has been added.  But I just tried connecting and couldn't connect either.  I wonder if the site's getting hit with a lot of traffic or something?  Thanks for notifying me, I'll look into it and see if I can find out what's going on.

Register