NEWS

Establishing a Bounty Hunter Campaign

• 63 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #30 on: <10-01-14/1556:17> »
Juggernauts are in Running Wild, Parazoology is kinda filled with rather weak critters, the Sea Wolf the most dangerous one.

So on the low level you have outstanding warrents and Infected, as well as some rare paracritters, you go up to slightly-more-dangerous Infected and more dangerous criminals, terrorists are likely at 50k~200k depending on how big a fuss they made, and the blood/toxic mages are always a nice career ender at 1m reward each.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #31 on: <10-01-14/1600:22> »
The blood mage bounty in Dunkelzahn's will is an obvious example, but I could see a corp quietly putting a bounty on members of TerraFirst! after a series of attacks.

Would it make sense for them to do that rather than just hire runners?  I guess if they wanted them arrested instead of killed, or they wanted it to be more "public" than runners would allow...
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #32 on: <10-01-14/1605:00> »
You'd hire runners against specific targets, if you know where they are and all that, but sending a signal could involve "these individuals we offer these bounties for" and just see if someone decides to bother.

Speaking of Bounties: Gordo Buck, former Skraacha and former Finnegan family goon, has a bounty on his head by the Finnegan family, because they're too busy to track him down. So there's those too, organised crime bounties on traitors that ran.

Of course in my own Shadowrun Campaign he already got hunted down, but the Finnegans don't know that.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-01-14/1610:44> »
Haha.  I didn't think about bounties posted by groups other than "legal" groups.  I suppose if you have the right contacts, any group can just post outstanding bounties that you could do.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <10-01-14/1623:29> »
Iif Aztechnology wants to send TerraFirst! a message, but doesn't want to send its own people to do it, a bounty on a "notorious terrorist organization with a long history of indiscriminate attacks on civilians...[enter the Azzie PR machine rolling footage]" makes sense.  Shadowrunners are deniable assets, this would be for groups looking to take credit for taking out bad guys.  It also dumps all of the issues of legality and jurisdiction on the team (much like Dunkie's will does) instead of the corp.  Just make sure you collect someplace that counts as extraterritorial for the sponsor.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <10-01-14/1626:58> »
Oh by the way, if I translated the Juggernaut to 5th...   It'd do 66P damage, without changing its stats up.  The 10 dice to attack means it'd theoretically possible for day, a dodge adept to melee with them...  But one swing...  Even with only -3 AP.  And 12 Hardened Armor.  Seriously, that's ridiculous.  I never saw these before.  XD

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <10-01-14/1631:53> »
Oh by the way, if I translated the Juggernaut to 5th...   It'd do 66P damage, without changing its stats up.  The 10 dice to attack means it'd theoretically possible for day, a dodge adept to melee with them...  But one swing...  Even with only -3 AP.  And 12 Hardened Armor.  Seriously, that's ridiculous.  I never saw these before.  XD

Ever since the size comparison picture of the Juggernaut ran back in Paranormal Animals of North America, I've wanted to toss one into a campaign of mine.  Good lord, that freaked me out.

Also, after missing a nimble runners for a few rounds, a juggernaut is going to boost his Agility and end things quickly.
« Last Edit: <10-01-14/1703:23> by Kincaid »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <10-01-14/1637:55> »
"Most governments offer a significant bounty for the destruction of a juggernaut.  (It is perhaps instructive that very few juggernaut bounties have ever been paid out.)"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #38 on: <10-01-14/1638:22> »
66P is adding half its Strength too much. It had (Str/2)+3P/-3, so it'd get +21 and become 45P/-3. Still strong enough to crush a Knight Errant SWAT car (27/27 if you use the all-attributes-times-1.5 thing from Stolen Souls) in a single hit, and a Stonewall tank (36/28 in SR4) might get one-shotted if it rolls poorly. Let that sink in for a second: The toughest tanks out there might get one-shotted by a pissed off Juggernaut. Of course they likely will easily kill it if its Hardened Armor isn't boosted.

Well to be fair the Smart Armor gets added, but a poor roll still kills it.

Still, 14m length and >7000 kg...
« Last Edit: <10-01-14/1641:28> by Michael Chandra »

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <10-01-14/1641:30> »
66P is adding half its Strength too much. It had (Str/2)+3P/-3, so it'd get +21 and become 45P/-3. Still strong enough to crush a Knight Errant SWAT car (27/27 if you use the all-attributes-times-1.5 thing from Stolen Souls) in a single hit, and a Stonewall tank (36/28 in SR4) might get one-shotted if it rolls poorly. Let that sink in for a second: The toughest tanks out there might get one-shotted by a pissed off Juggernaut. Of course they likely will easily kill it if its Hardened Armor isn't boosted.

Still, 14m length and >7000 kg...

Well I mean, it has 42 STR and a 24P natural weapon.  In 5th edition, you wouldn't halve it's STR.  That's what I mean by "if I just translated it to 5th".  Oh, am I doing Natural Weapon wrong?  Alrighty then.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #40 on: <10-01-14/1649:38> »
Yeah, the value listed is with Strength taken into account already, so it's not 24P+21 in SR4 but simply 24P. Natural Weapon used to be listed as a fixed DV but is still based on (Str/2)+X, nowadays they make more clear it depends on the Strength so raising/lowering it also impacts the damage. Which means an SR4->SR5 conversion simply adds half the Strength, and maybe add a tiny bit if felt needed.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #41 on: <10-02-14/0153:27> »
Mmm, juggernauts.  The only critter in the world that just wanders into a lake and walks around for a while with its mouth open in order to eat - then walks back out of the lake and keeps on going.

Note that the above is for a full-grown 'adult' one; considering the difficulty of killing such a critter, I would think that juggernauts of that size would be, well, exceedingly rare.  Make those the 'Great' versions, with smaller ones (reduced stats) being more likely.  And I would think that every nation that has juggernauts inside their borders would make a concerted effort to put tracking devices on them, and once they get beyond a certain size, use them for A-10 Warthog target practice.  Otherwise, well, where in Seattle does the 14m juggernaut go to eat?  Pretty much everywhere, you know?  if you don't eliminate the problem before it becomes severe, you sort of deserve everything you get ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <10-02-14/0221:12> »
That was something I was curious about.  If it leaves swathes of destruction and eats everything, even if it wasn't constantly moving to search for more food, it'd be so obvious, and since it's nearly a godzilla level threat (one in a city could honestly knock over buildings) they'd have KE or LS or whomever on it to kill it immediately.  Unless Shadowrun PETA is fighting for them not to be eradicated and somehow winning, then they'd be killed on sight and they're NOT subtle, so unless the pop out of the ground fully grown, birthed from the core of the planet, I don't see how they can just "show up".

Like, they say nobody's gotten a chance to study one, but there's no given reason why tracking chips wouldn't work.  Even assuming they don't know if such things have a nest or how they have babies or whatever, if there's one, you'd look for the rest and destroy them.  Maybe that'd be the bounty?  "A juggernaut was killed in the area recently, a bounty will be given to anyone who happens to eliminate any offspring if found."

The "how did it get here without being found when it's MO is a swath of destruction" thing bothers me the most.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #43 on: <10-02-14/0246:00> »
Oh, I'm sure that PETA, Greenpeace, and a host of other groups are out there protesting and making sure the damn thing isn't wiped out.  But then you have bounties on juggernauts over a certain size.  As for movement, well, since it CAN breathe underwater ... *evil grin* Up from the depths, thirty stories high, breathing fire, standing in the sky ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #44 on: <10-02-14/0613:37> »
The "how did it get here without being found when it's MO is a swath of destruction" thing bothers me the most.
I'm guessing the way large swatches of land are uninhabited nowadays in the chaos of the Sixth World. Plus if it stumbles upon an entire herd of 2000 animals and kills most of them, I imagine there's not that much collateral damage.