NEWS

No Kung Fu in Run & Gun?

• 21 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <09-12-14/1517:17> »
Part of the over-representation of Japanese martial arts (if you feel there is such an over-representation), and under-representation of Chinese martial arts (if you feel there is such an under-representation) may have to do with the general arc of the Shadowrun timeline, in which the Japanese influence, any and everywhere, is similarly over-represented, while the Chinese influence is, often, under-represented.  The Japan Scare was a big deal back in the late 80's when the game was starting, an inordinate number of megacorporations are heavily Japanese (while only a single one, and something of a Johnny-Come-Lately at that, is Chinese), etc, etc.

So the representation issue may have to do with what's more likely to come up in a game;  Japanese martial artists, or Chinese?

Either way, I think it's an easy enough thing to remedy, and I'm sure no insult towards Chinese culture, or Chinese martial arts, was intended.

Vaneheart

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <09-12-14/1612:44> »
That's a good point Critias.  I had forgotten about that.  I should go watch more Johnny Mnemonic again.  :)

Alright Namikaze, I can't seem to find a common ground with you.  I apologize that I've insulted your sensibilities.

So I'll ask you then, if not "kung fu" then what should I call it?  What terminology would you prefer I use instead?

I've also pointed out a number of times that yes, I agree with you.  You are right.

Something to consider is that for about the past 50 years in America, Kung Fu has basically meant "Chinese Martial Art." Sadly, It really doesn't matter what the root word means in Chinese, or what it technically means in Chinese, its common-use term in English in America at this point means "Chinese Martial Art." (see my phone book example that I used previously.  Feel free to use Google or Yellow Pages .com for similar results). 

That's just how language works, common use meanings overtake technical meanings in American English, and Shadowrun is an American-ish gaming system. So getting technical about traditional meaning is basically just treading water, we can argue about that all we want, but common-use will win in the end.

People make these kinds of arguments all the time for hundreds of words every decade, but eventually those words just get the new alternate meaning added in the dictionary.

I've already pointed out that I don't really feel irked about the various umbrella terms in the book.  At the end of the day, it's an RPG game.  I'm glad the martial arts even get the attention they do.  Hell, I'm not even irked (more amused), that "The Karate Kid" 2010 movie had actually nothing to do with Karate itself, despite having Karate in the title.  It happens.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #17 on: <09-12-14/1817:35> »
I really don't care what you call it at your table.  But just going from a list of Chinese martial arts, I'd try to find one and replicate it.

You could call it Wushu and emulate the sport of Wushu.  You could call it Shaolin-do and replicate the Shaolin martial arts.  You could call it Tai Chi Chuan and try to get that graceful movement replicated.  All of these are variations on "kung fu" but none of them are "kung fu."
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Vaneheart

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <09-12-14/1949:08> »
Alright then.  I'll do that.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

-Jeff Cooper

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #19 on: <09-13-14/0104:49> »
Honestly, I went back through and, you know, read - okay, skimmed - each of the martial art descriptions.  And while you don't see either 'Kung Fu' or 'Wushu' as the actual name of anything, what I do see is an array of similar styles in most of the martial arts.  For example, in Karate it says: "Similar styles include Hwarang-do, Wushu, and Zen Do Kai. All three emphasize kicking, grappling, and striking."

This tells me that if I find something that's similar - say, Tai Chi Chuan being similar to Aikido (well, in my mind, anyhow) - I should probably use many, most, or all of the Aikido maneuvers and simply write 'Tai Chi Chuan' on my character sheet.  Or - and here's my big thought for the day - I could go, 'hey, there are no less than 70 maneuvers (with all variants), only 2 of which are universal.  All I have to do to create Mysterio-Do is to pick six of 'em and tie 'em together with a good backstory.  And if what I want isn't in there, I might be able to discuss it with my GM, so that I can create my very own maneuver or two and make those the defining maneuvers for Mysterio-Do.'

Hell, that's what I did.

But Wushu is in there.  Complaining that it didn't get 'headliner status' is ... I dunno.
« Last Edit: <09-19-14/2315:02> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

MrGray

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-19-14/2225:57> »
Late to the party
At the root all martial arts and boxing and grappling all are covered by unarmed combat no weapon in hand,
After that you can maybe make your own skill group for grappling and striking or combo with  your  GM help. 
And call them whatever you want
There is no black and white only Mr.Gray

Geekman047

• Newb
  • Evil bath cleans you, FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS!
« Reply #21 on: <09-22-14/1351:47> »
Also Late to the party: I think the biggest trick is finding a list of real world Martial arts. Once you know a broad range figuring out if you need to cook a new martial art or if the mechanics of the style are reflected by the examples already available becomes the choice. Since there there are hundreds (if not thousands) of R.W. Martial arts, let alone fictional ones. The tack I usually take is to let my players submit their list of selected moves for approval. 

However some martial arts are extremely difficult to re-create in SR rules, for example; Mu-gi-gong is a style that teaches the use of every-day objects as weapons. SR doesn't re-create it well without adept powers.