NEWS

SR5 Rigger "Scot Free"

• 13 Replies

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« on: <08-22-14/2237:48> »
Okay. This is the last one of the riggers I've built for my players to hire. It came down to the fact that the other riggers - ones I've posted here and ones I haven't - largely ignore two factors: Drones and what the Rigger himself is doing. This character establishes both - four scout drones, three combat drones, and a sniper rifle for the Rigger.

Still, I largely built this character in about an hour and a half in time I had off, and I lost track of the math a few times. Also, in order to keep up with the PCs, he has an unused 10 Karma and 20,000 extra nuyen to spend.

Scott Vrees a.k.a. “Scot Free,” Elf Rigger-for-Hire

Priorities:
Metatype D – Elf (0)
Attributes C – 16
Magic E – None
Skills B – 36/5
Resources A – 450,000 nuyen

Attributes:
Body 3
Agility 4
Reaction 6 (7)
Strength 2
Willpower 3
Logic 4 (5)
Intuition 3 (up from 2 with 15 Karma)
Charisma 3
Edge 1
Condition: 10/10
Essence 1.6
Initiative: 9(10) +2D6
Matrix Initiative: 8 +2D6/3D6

Limits:
Physical 5
Mental 5 (6)
Social 4

Qualities:
Double-Jointed -6
Gearhead -11
Quick Healer -3
Allergy (Uncommon: Silver, Moderate) +10
Distinctive Style (Strange Syntax) +5
Prejudiced (Specific: Orks, Outspoken) +3
SINner (National) +5

Skills:
Clubs (Staffs) 4 (+2)
Longarms 4
Escape Artist (Handcuffs) 2 (+2)
Perception 3
Electronic Warfare 5
Sneaking (Urban) 2 (+2)
Etiquette (Corporate) 2 (+2)
Gunnery 4
Pilot Aircraft 4
Pilot Ground Craft 3
Electronics Skill Group 5

Knowledge and Language Skills:
Language (English) N
Corporations 3
Fixers (Corporate) 2 (+2)
Twin Cities Chop Shops 4
Drone Design 2

Martial Art: Quarterstaff Fighting (12 Karma Spent)
Multiple Opponent Combat
Opposing Force (Parry)

3 Karma for 6,000 nuyen

Lifestyle:
Middle (4 months: Garage)
*Genuine UCAS National SIN (with appropriate licenses)*
Fake SIN 4 (Fake Gun 4, Fake Cyberware 4, Fake Stun-staff 4, Fake Driver 4, Fake Concealed Carry 4)
Flashlight
Sony Emperor Commlink
Platinum Credstick
6 sets of clothes
2 Datachips
Metal Restraints

Augmentations:
Control Rig 2
Wired Reflexes 1
Cerebral Booster 1
Platelet Factories

Weapons/Armor:
Defiance T-250 (short-barrel) [Shotgun: Acc 4, Dam 9P, AP -1, Mode SS/SA, Ammo 5(m) – Concealed Quickdraw Holster]
Ares Desert Strike [Sniper Rifle: Acc 7, Dam 13P, AP -4, Mode SA, RC (3), Ammo 14(c ) – 6 Spare Clips, Bipod, Suppressor, 100 Regular Ammo, 40 Hollow Point Ammo, 60 Gel Ammo, 100 APDS Ammo]
Enfield AS-7 [Shotgun: Acc 4(5), Dam 13P, AP -1, Mode SA/BF, RC (1), Ammo 10(c ) – 6 Spare Clips, Shock Pad]
1200 AK-97 APDS rounds, 320 AK-97 Gel rounds, 150 Shotgun Regular Ammo, 100 Shotgun Gel Ammo, 180 Shotgun Flechette Ammo
Nemesis Arms Maul Stun Staff [Club: Acc 6, Dam 9S(e), Rea 2, AP -5]
Rapid Transit Platinum (Rating 9, Nonconductivity 5)
Forearm Guards (Rating +1, Fire Resistance 2)

Rigger Command Console:
Vulcan Liegelord [Device Rating 5, Data Processing 5, Firewall 6, Programs 5 – Clearsoft 6, Electronic Warfare 6, AK-97 Targeting 6, Rover Model 2072 Evasion 6, Rover Model 2072 Maneuvering 6, MCT Fly-Spy Stealth 6, S-B Microskimmer Stealth 6, MCT-Nissan Rotodrone Maneuvering 6]

Vehicle:
Rover Model 2072 [Handl 5/5, Speed 4, Accel 2, Body 15, Armor 12, Pilot 2, Sensor 4 – Rigger Interface, Standard Mount: AK-97 [Assault Rifle: Acc 5, Dam 10P, AP -2, Mode SA/BF/FA, Ammo 38(c )]

Drones:
S-B Microskimmer [Handl 3, Speed 3, Accel 1, Body 0, Armor 0, Pilot 3, Sensor 3]
3x MCT Fly-Spy [Handl 4, Speed 3, Accel 2, Body 1, Armor 0, Pilot 3, Sensor 3]
3x MCT-Nissan Rotodrone [Handl 4, Speed 4, Accel 2, Body 4, Armor 4, Pilot 3, Sensor 3 – Standard Mount: AK-97]

Contacts:
Fixer [Loyalty 1, Connection 4]
Mechanic [Loyalty 3, Connection 1]

Background: Scott Vrees – self-nicknamed Scot Free to reflect his promise of escape – is nominally a professional driver, though he is noted to provide long range cover as well as drone-based scouting and support upon request. The sprawl-born, average-looking elf was originally a driver for city officials, usually those going to visit corporate HQs. Until one day, when he didn’t follow directions, resulting in the death of his passenger. The end result had him charged with conspiracy (and found innocent – correctly), fired and blacklisted. He is easily identifiable by switching around the order of the words in his sentences for some unknown reason.

Have at it.
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1708:33> by Lethal Joke »

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #1 on: <08-24-14/0036:14> »
i do believe I have been skipped. A day, and no comment whatsoever? Odd.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-24-14/0515:39> »
I'd suggest you to ditch longarms and pistols and to pick automatics instead. You can't keep a shotgun or a rifle under your seat, but an ingram smartgun or a crusader? Any time. You can also keep an assault rifle with an image scope for a long range support at the back of your van. Same goes for staves, maybe you should just use a stun baton?  Electronic warfare should be higher, too usefull to dump. Get yourself a smartlink too! That guy can really use some extra attack dice.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #3 on: <08-24-14/1525:37> »
I'd suggest you to ditch longarms and pistols and to pick automatics instead. You can't keep a shotgun or a rifle under your seat, but an ingram smartgun or a crusader? Any time. You can also keep an assault rifle with an image scope for a long range support at the back of your van. Same goes for staves, maybe you should just use a stun baton?  Electronic warfare should be higher, too usefull to dump. Get yourself a smartlink too! That guy can really use some extra attack dice.
I'm not exactly sold on the shotgun, but the sniper rifle was part of the idea from the get-go on this fellow, so longarms stays.
The Stun Staff stays, sir.
Granted on the Electronics Warfare bit. Didn't even have it until I was putting it up here, and hurriedly took out running for the points. maybe I'll take some points out of other skills. Pull the specialization for Etiquette, a point from Escape Artist...

Still have that spare 10 Karma and 20,000 nuyen, so the smartlink isn't exactly out.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-24-14/1641:45> »
How about using a short barreled T-250 instead of a Warhawk? Then you can spend pistol points elsewhere. It's harder to conceal though.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #5 on: <08-24-14/1650:16> »
How about using a short barreled T-250 instead of a Warhawk? Then you can spend pistol points elsewhere. It's harder to conceal though.
That...actually is a pretty good idea.

Removing the Pistols skill allowed me to restore Escape Artist to 2, give Etiquette back its specialization, and put the last point into Electronic Warfare, bringing it to 5.

Meanwhile, the Defiance was purchased using the money from the previous 100 explosive ammo and 6 speed loaders, along with some ammo, a set of handcuffs, and a couple datachips.
« Last Edit: <08-24-14/1707:37> by Lethal Joke »

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <08-25-14/0910:34> »
Honestly not sure that the investment in martial arts is gaining you much return, they're pretty situational and given how frickin' huge the maul staff is, i'd think the stun baton would be more concealable and therefore a lot more usable.
If nothing else, then the telescopic staff with personalised grip would be a better option given that it folds down and will be concealable under a lined coat, whilst still retaining enough accuracy that you wont lose hits with your 10 dice.
these karma points would then be able to boost your EDG to 2, which makes you a bit safer in terms of those "oh crap!" moments.

Etiquette is nice, but you'll probably get a lot more game-time usage out of the equivalent investment into con (fast talk). Etiquette is more social camouflage that you'd use in an under-cover op or fitting into a group you wouldn't ordinarily be part of. con is used to get you into places or out of dodgy situations and is much more utilised in the games i've run/participated in.

Escape artist is a super situational skill. no doubt you'll be glad of it when you're in the situation but tbh, prevention is better than the cure. I'd rather put these points into social skills or combat skills. either of those options should help prevent you being locked up in restraints in the first place. the karma from the double jointed could go towards something like "first impression" which would help, or more nuyen. in fact, boosting the ratings of your contacts would be helpful. a well connected and loyal mechanic would be an excellent ally for your char as he has sod all in the way of repair skills.
Palming would be a decent skill to pick up if you'd rather keep the big weapons, it means you'd be able to hide stuff on your person better, this combines well with the lined coat armour too.

Don't forget to pimp your recon drones' sensor suites. they come with 8 functions at cap 3, so make sure you specifiy which functions are on what drone and you can then add things like low light/thermo/audio enhance to them to make them better for snooping/night work/eavesdropping etc.

couldnt see any targeting autosofts for the ak-97. this is pretty vital!

summary:
drop martial art, boost EDG
consider changing huge staff to baton for concealability (and appropriate spec) or at least consider switching to telescopic staff for concealability
switch etiquette (corporate) to con (fast talk)
pimp drone sensor suites
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <08-25-14/1104:22> »
Get some of the Kanmushi bug drones. They're awesome! Yes, you'd need Pilot Walker to do anything fancy with it but they are so super-small that you can always take a few with you in your pocket, leave them somewhere unsuspicious or crawl around on the ceiling. The Microskimmer is nice, but I'd say it's much more noticeable and probably makes a bit of noise, too.

They are great for non-riggers too, btw.

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <08-25-14/2234:16> »
This appears to be more a concept character and not so worried about optimized. If that is correct then let us know. If so, then he is fine. If not then the other have all made good suggestions.

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <08-27-14/1743:28> »
I just can't hear the name without the old parody song "Ollie, Ollie, off scot free" (by the Foremen) going through my head.

I half expected his real name to be Ollie or Oliver.  :D

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #10 on: <09-01-14/0103:00> »

couldnt see any targeting autosofts for the ak-97. this is pretty vital!

summary:
1: drop martial art, boost EDG
2: consider changing huge staff to baton for concealability (and appropriate spec) or at least consider switching to telescopic staff for concealability
3: switch etiquette (corporate) to con (fast talk)
4: pimp drone sensor suites

I did put in the AK-97 autosoft up front.

1&2: True. I'm really just enjoying Run & Gun. I like having more toys to use - the staff and the martial art both. Really, I could go for the telescoping staff if I hadn't left strength so low.
3: No. If I were to switch out etiquette, it would be for negotiation. This man is not a face - I will never build a face for my players to hire - and will never enter the building, just cover from elsewhere with the rifle.
4: I keep forgetting to do that. Thank you.

Also, the Escape Artist skill is largely because I originally got his name from Scott Free a.k.a. Mister Miracle. Doesn't seem right to call him that without some skill in it.

Tonberry

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-02-14/1520:32> »
Instead of spending 15 karma to go from 2 to 3 in Intuition, transfer 1 point of Strength to Intuition and raise your Strength back to 2 with 10 karma.

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #12 on: <09-02-14/1807:34> »
Instead of spending 15 karma to go from 2 to 3 in Intuition, transfer 1 point of Strength to Intuition and raise your Strength back to 2 with 10 karma.

Why oh why do I keep making that mistake? Thank you.

JmOz01

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-02-14/2113:16> »
With the name Scott free my group would expect your escape Artist skill to be extremely high...:)