NEWS

Talk to me about Cthulhutech

• 12 Replies

Cowdragon

• Newb
« on: <04-02-14/0136:23> »
as I'm sure many of you are as well, I'm a HUGE fan of Lovecraft and the Mythos. I saw mention of a game called Cthulhutech and went to look at it. The art is really awesome! The idea for the story seems pretty decent. It seems sort of Shadowrunny...but with more Horrors. And that's the kind of campaign I'm looking for sometimes.

Is it a good game? And what about maybe adding more Lovecraftian feel to my SR5 game? Could that simply be explained as the Horrors?

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <04-03-14/0729:20> »
Cthulhutech is a great game, although the general subject matter is more geared towards mature players. Well, age-wise; definitely not for young players! There's a ton of different campaign styles available: military, mecha, paramilitary investigators, X-Files style, shadow war supernatural creatures, and many more. The game designers have stated that there is a definite beginning, middle, and end to the story, so keep that in mind.

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-03-14/1227:58> »
On the other hand, through anecdote and first hand reading, I've found it to be a game made of some good ideas, a few poor adventure choices, and an unfortunate system. Be inspired by the core books and supplements, but I'd recommend adapting whatever you take from that to another game.

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-03-14/2012:30> »
On the other hand, through anecdote and first hand reading, I've found it to be a game made of some good ideas, a few poor adventure choices, and an unfortunate system. Be inspired by the core books and supplements, but I'd recommend adapting whatever you take from that to another game.

Like shadowrun perhaps? It's what I'm thinking!

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <04-04-14/0156:56> »
You should be able to adapt most of the setting to Shadowrun, although the mecha part might present some problems (especially with rigger choices being limited for right now).

Cowdragon

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <04-04-14/1102:01> »
I saw a crossover made a few years back on the Catalyst websight..it was for Battletech and Shadowrun. What's cool is it looked similar to one my gaming group made years and years ago so we could play "Shadowtech" ourselves. Maybe a system like that?

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <04-05-14/0402:12> »
I saw a crossover made a few years back on the Catalyst websight..it was for Battletech and Shadowrun. What's cool is it looked similar to one my gaming group made years and years ago so we could play "Shadowtech" ourselves. Maybe a system like that?

That might work: Just change the tech a bit: As I recall, the Engels(sp?) (the Mechs of Cthulhutech), were biological in nature, powered by a mystic engine.

Coengar2

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <05-11-14/1515:08> »
Just picked up Cthulhutech and a couple of sourcebooks a few weeks ago. While the dice mechanics are a bit wonky and will take some time to get used to,especially if you are used to the old style multipolyhedron or d6 styles of rpgs, the background story and world setting are pretty cool. The game is loosely based on the works of HP Lovecraft but while it contains the mythos feel of cosmic horror it lacks the overall feel that Humanity is basically insignificant and powerless against the mythos creatures. In Cthulhutech,humanity has a fighting chance,it maybe be a slim chance but it's there.

The game system comprises of a main rule book, a companion book (Vade Mecum) and five background/world books and a referee screen.

However,the company that makes the game lost their publisher last year and are not printing any more books at this time although you can still buy books that have been printed off of Amazon and other game selling sites and the Cthulhutech home page has links to where you can buy the PDF versions at a good price.

With the loss of their publisher, a sixth worldbook (Dead Gods) has been put on hold as of at least May of 2013 with no word of a possible release date or if the book will be available in hardcover book form or PDF form only.
Quit complaining or i'll perform another unneeded surgery

LionofPerth

• Omae
  • That's Mind Taking Baby!
« Reply #8 on: <05-21-14/0543:57> »
I'm a fan of the system and mechanics to be honest. It's a great techno-Mythos set game.

As said previously, it can work at many levels, from investigations, espionage, military, mecha, X-Files. Depending how loose you want to be with its story, you've got quite a lot of space to work.

If anything I do find that the Sanity rules are a little rough on players. Yes, this is the Mythos, but on the same side, I feel the party group could do with a little hand in that area. They're quite vicious.

I'm lucky enough to have the books and screen. I will also add, the Game Masters pack was one of the better ones I've seen. It's not up there with the Runner's Toolkit, but still pretty damned good.

I do appreciate the mechanics are a little odd, next to the usual, not only for the poker like mechanics, but a few other elements as well. To me it's an engine, it does what it needs to do nearly all of the time and I've not felt a strong need to house rule issues away.

That which I did, it was the Sanity, I've got some notes down on letting the Hobby skill take away from the amount of stress the character is under.
When in doubt, C4.

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #9 on: <09-01-14/1725:11> »
Any CthulhuTech players running around here currently?  I recently acquired some of the books when they were on sale (yay Lovecraft's birthday!) and I'm now engrossed in the setting.  Finding a game, or at least folks to chat about it with, would be awesome.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #10 on: <09-09-14/1916:37> »
*raises hand*
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #11 on: <09-09-14/2132:45> »
Mind me talking it with you via messages?
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

AndyNakamura

• Chummer
  • Memetic Warfare Agent
« Reply #12 on: <09-10-14/1006:52> »
Be my guest.
"If you are expecting a rousing speech, or a cunning plan that will get us out of this, I will have to disappoint you. I don't have any. We either do this, or we die. And the world dies with us."
"I paid quite a lot to get all of you here. I expect you to give me my money's worth. Shogun out."