NEWS

[5eOoC] 2075/6: Stormy Waters [Persistent World; recruitment always open]

• 5046 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3720 on: <04-15-16/0205:24> »
OK.  I have looked at the character sheet.  I will get you in after you answer a question I am sending you by PM.
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3721 on: <04-15-16/0319:40> »
Alright, I went ahead and got Iron Orchid started.  Please look at the Tangled Currents - Rose thread.  Get in there and start having fun.

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3722 on: <04-15-16/1319:23> »
Does the effect on the Hell Hound lessen as we get farther from the box?
It might seem to as he will stop barking at it...but he's infected now, you all are! Typhoid Mary eat your heart out!
Excel Cha Generators <<CG5.26>> & <CG6.xx> v36

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #3723 on: <04-15-16/1330:32> »
Infected with what? How does this impact my adept powers?
More importantly, how does this impact my street cred?

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3724 on: <04-15-16/1438:28> »
Wait and see ...mwah hah hah!

Active foci, spells, alchemy is effectively in a background count of 2 for now, adept powers that could be considered 'internal' aren't affected...yet

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3725 on: <04-15-16/1449:09> »
That's why I'm calling our Johnson - I really am not ready to lose magic  :o
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

adamu

« Reply #3726 on: <04-15-16/1653:36> »
Yeah, this is deeply not cool.

Al knows squat about any of this magic-sucking chemical crap.

I think - THINK- we've put a stop to ongoing exposure.

But if there's a persistent infection....does anyone that keeps up with the sourcebooks understand what this is.

More important, IC-wise, do any of our characters understand this stuff?
Can anyone make a knowledge test to drag some more info out of Aria?

And we've got a doctor with us...

So when you talk to the Johnson, Jack, as long as you're threatening to lose the dingus, might as well insist he tell us how to treat this crap!

@Aria - congratulations - you can tell you've got me spooked when I start frantically shotgunning ideas that everyone's already thought of anyway.

Also, just following up from my last IC - can Al find any sort of triggering mechanism - anything functionally tying these cannisters to the dingus?

@obi - these things aren't in here for nothing, and I doubt anyone just counted on them being shot. Maybe there's a magical trigger of some kind...
« Last Edit: <04-15-16/1706:42> by adamu »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3727 on: <04-15-16/1740:05> »
IP like OP the closest I come would be FAB III (Fluorescent Astral Bacteria) which have Energy Drain (Magic) and permanently drain Magic.
We have to disinfect as soon as possible. The Sterilize spell would be really helpful right now...

Edit: Here are the Rules from SR 4 Street Magic

"FAB III is a dual-natured mutant variant of FAB II that actively seeks out and feeds on magical energies and astral forms. It seeks out astrally active Awakened characters and critters, foci, and astral objects such as wards in order to latch onto them. FAB III travels in clouds. Each cloud has a Force rating measuring the cloud’s strength and covers a spherical area with a radius in meters roughly equal to its rating. At any given time, the area of the cloud may be larger or smaller as the bacteria move around astral space and feed. When a cloud attaches itself to a target, it usually contracts into a smaller volume so that all of the bacteria in the cloud can be closer to the food source. On the physical plane, these clouds of bacteria are invisible and harmless, though they frequently attach themselves to Awakened characters who unwittingly act as carriers.
FAB III clouds are visible on the astral plane as a faintly glowing cloud. Unless a character succeeds in an Assensing + Intuition (3) Test, however, he will mistake it for a harmless low-level background count.  A FAB III cloud moves slowly (1 meter per Combat Turn), so it is fairly easy to avoid if you know it’s coming. If an astrally active target comes into contact with a FAB III cloud, the cloud will attach to it and begin to drain it of magical energy using its Energy Drain (Magic/Force) power (Touch range, 6 hour Extended Test interval, Stun damage, use Force x 2 for the Opposed Test; see p. 99). The cloud continues to drain its target until there is no more energy or it is killed.  When the cloud reaches Force 11, it splits. The Force 6 cloud continues draining its victim, while a new Force 5 cloud wanders off in search of new prey.
A FAB III cloud will always move toward the most potent (highest rating) target; characters who mask their auras (see Masking, p.190, SR4) to appear as mundane are ignored. A character infected with FAB III can simply stop being astrally active to hinder a cloud’s feeding. Likewise, objects like foci can simply be deactivated. The target will still be a carrier, however, as the bacteria linger and wait for the target to become astrally active again. Dual-natured critters cannot cease being astrally active and so have no way to discourage a cloud of FAB III.
FAB III does not seem to exist on the metaplanes, however, so a spirit can “disinfect” itself by returning to its home metaplane. FAB III can be killed according to the standard rules in astral combat as well as by the Sterilize spell. The Cure Disease spell can also destroy it; treat FAB III as a disease with Power equal to its Force. If it is reduced to 0, the cloud is destroyed. FAB III clouds with nothing to feed on begin to starve, losing one point of Force a week. They may feed off areas with positive background count, but they can only survive there for extended periods at a Force equal to the background count."
« Last Edit: <04-15-16/1758:20> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #3728 on: <04-15-16/1752:56> »
Okay so if it's FAB III, then it's the Hell Hound that is in serious trouble. The rest of us aren't exactly dual-natured...

But you're probably right - it's probably something different. I mean, the FAB strains didn't get developed until the 2060s or so, right? And this crate predates that doesn't it (pre-Crash - that means pre-the first Crash, right?)?

DireRadiant

• SRM FAQ Committee
  • Omae
  • The Dragon Never Sleeps
« Reply #3729 on: <04-15-16/1826:58> »
Maybe it's FAB 2 or FAB 1... those came before 3... :)

Aria

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3730 on: <04-15-16/1850:45> »
Still keeping you in suspense for the weekend, but the dates are Crash 2 not Crash 1, FABIII is a distinct possibility!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3731 on: <04-15-16/1854:45> »
But those wouldn't actively seek out magic.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that it's probably FAB III. This has the potential to be very deadly for the Hellhound.
talk think matrix

pistolgrip

• Omae
  • Unfounded Ambition
« Reply #3732 on: <04-15-16/2308:17> »
Welp, I should be fine. Sucks to be Al though. No, the other one.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3733 on: <04-16-16/0419:44> »
Well, sometimes it sucks to be me.  I would ask for a consideration, though.  I think I sent the hound off into the tunnel as soon as I heard the hissing with my enhanced senses.  Would the thing have spread that fast or could the Hell Hound have gone out of range before it could affect him?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3734 on: <04-16-16/0437:49> »
I'm pretty sure that the hound would have to feel the bacteria to react to their presence.

But all is not lost
- we have a few hours (hopefully) before the first point of magic is drained
- The bacteria can be killed
- They attach and don't actually infect

Actually I wonder if I could just activate my qi-focus to wrap it in flames. The bacteria would be drawn to it as an active focus and subsequently burn until all FAB III are gone like moths into an open fire.
talk think matrix

Register