NEWS

So. Many. Shadowrun. Forums.

• 27 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #15 on: <08-12-14/2304:13> »
I count myself as one of those grognards from time to time.

:)

-k

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <08-14-14/0034:54> »
I find DumpShock to be highly insular; if you haven't been there for a decade, even if you know your SR cold, you get treated like crap.  As for the whole 'oh, they used to be the official forum for Shadowrun', from what I know that's pretty much bullshit; they may have been the most active location, they may have had some of the sharpest (or at least loudest and most opinionated) operators there, but so far as I know, they were never any sort of official.

Yes, in general the people on DS irritate the everliving f**k out of me.  Which is why I'm here.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Parker

• Omae
  • Remember, can't spell damage without mage!
« Reply #17 on: <08-14-14/0042:45> »
If ya like BWC'ing made by most of the posters on this forum about 5th Edition.  Otherwise, enjoy! 8)

What is BWC'ing?
                                    100 points to the person who figures out what the words are;
{B.> as a negative term for a female, not to mention as well as to extol a negative opinion in a feminine manner. :o
{W.> as to extol a long, high-pitched complaining cry. :'(
{C.> as to express dissatisfaction or annoyance about a state of affairs >:(

Generally if ya hate Shadowrun, 5th Edition, or Catalyst in general, this is the forum to post your hatred. ;)
I'm not Mad...insane a bit...but not mmmaaaddd!
(insane giggle as lightning flashes and thunder rolls.)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <08-14-14/0711:39> »
      Generally if ya hate Shadowrun, 5th Edition, or Catalyst in general, this is the forum to post your hatred. ;)
I thought the rabblerousers were all on Dumpshock - or was that munchkins?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #19 on: <08-14-14/1451:47> »
As for the whole 'oh, they used to be the official forum for Shadowrun', from what I know that's pretty much bullshit; they may have been the most active location, they may have had some of the sharpest (or at least loudest and most opinionated) operators there, but so far as I know, they were never any sort of official.

The official FAQs and Missions documentation used to list Dumpshock as where to go for more information. They kinda had to - at the time there wasn't really any other 'official' Shadowrun web presence to speak of.

As for the bad treatment of newbies, 99% of the time it has been the same handful of posters. Unfortunate that those handful can sour the tone of the rest of the place, but at least a few of the offending people have been given permanant vacation. It really isn't as bad as it's been made out to be, at least not currently.

-k

prionic6

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <08-17-14/0618:58> »
What I don't like about /r/shadowrun (and most other smaller reddits) is that topics are so short lived. Sure, you can search and maybe find a discussion, but after a few days you can never join or restart the discussion without a new topic. You can't "bump". Now that's definitely working as designed in the general reddit case and for many topics that works quite well, but an RPG does not change every few weeks to the point that old discussion needs to die.

grid_hopper

« Reply #21 on: <08-17-14/0639:24> »
You might be thinning that list out soon I think.... *LOL*
Like most agree the most traffic is here. If more people payed attention to Dumpshock it would easily be the first choice.

$/@mm-0!

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <08-17-14/1522:13> »
As for my list I would have to say :

1) This place always has good info and the people tend to be the nicest imo.
2) Shadowrun.com Has some good info and I like being able to find tabletop and SRO info in one place.
3) Eh Dumpshock isn't what it used to be to me. People seem to be more cynical there about anything that isn't SR3 or older and most negative posts seem to outweigh the positive ones.

This is just my opinion over the years, I still go to all three when I can but this one wins hands down.
$/@mmZ3r0

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <08-17-14/1639:18> »
@Parker & ZeConster
It seems that You've never been in the Gaming Den.If You read even just some the Hatred that stems from the Shadowrun Threads over there,
every other Forum seems like a Peaceful bed of Roses !
In Dumpschock, some of the Users are disappointed (ImO rightfully) and they say/write so openly
but in Gaming Den ,there's just plain and blind Hate for everything that comes from CGL no matter what CGL does or writes

With a Dance on a bed of Roses
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <08-17-14/1645:14> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <08-17-14/1911:22> »
3) Eh Dumpshock isn't what it used to be to me. People seem to be more cynical there about anything that isn't SR3 or older and most negative posts seem to outweigh the positive ones.
Close to nobody at DS cares for 3rd Edition, threads on it are few and far between.

That 5th doesn't have a good reputation there is certainly true -- but where exactly does it have a good one?

Method

• Newb
  • Street Doc
« Reply #25 on: <08-19-14/1238:00> »
Noting my obvious biases, I'll just point out a thing or two regarding Dumpshock:

First, Dumpshock has the misfortune of having been the main discussion forum during some very controversial  periods for the SR line (which I won't go into at length).  It should be understood that as an online community it was made up of some of the games most hardcore fans who watched dramatic changes to the game they love and the alienation of certain developers and authors who were integral parts of the community. For better or worse (and whether you agree with their assessment or not) that has colored the modern opinions of that community about the game, the current editon and the current development team. They didn't choose it, although there is certainly some self selection at work now-a-days.

Second, in an ironic turn of events many people left DS and came here because "DS is too negative" while simultaneously many others left DS for places like the Gaming Den because "DS is nothing but a bunch of fan boys."  The end result is that if you can get past a few bad apples (every forum has them, including this one), DS actually tends to be a fairly moderate place.

Third, the real strength of DS is the depth of content that comes from decades of discussion about the game and the setting. DS is an evolution of the very earliest online fan communities, so the people and ideas there predate the site itself (going back to the old Undernet #shadowrun irc chat community). Many of those people were pivotal in the develop of the game during certain time periods (people like Adam Jury, Pete Taylor, Bobby Derie even Bull).   So yeah there is a lot of stuff there that relates to mechanics of old editions.  But there is far more setting and fluff content there that transends editions alltogether. I would venture to say that I haven't seen a fluff or setting question in a long time that hasn't already been done in some form on Dumpshock.

So which forum is best?  Depends on what you're looking for.  None of them are what they once were. But lucky for us there is no law that says you can't be part of both (I frequent the whole spectrum of boards lately, including the Gaming Den).   Personally I think all this acrimony about which board is good and bad has actually hurt SR's online community. I miss the days when there was such a rabid SR fan base online that you couldnt read the forums fast enough to keep up. 
« Last Edit: <08-19-14/1425:45> by Method »

Isane

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <08-21-14/2147:23> »
I'm sad no one has mentioned the Shadowrun general threads on the traditional games section of 4chan, I'm quite fond of them.
"Speech"  'Thought'   <Matrix>

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <08-23-14/1025:08> »
I'm sad no one has mentioned the Shadowrun general threads on the traditional games section of 4chan, I'm quite fond of them.
To be honest, didn't even know they existed. Link?

Register