NEWS

Pretending to be an invented person. Impersonation?

• 2 Replies

Quatar

• Omae
« on: <07-28-14/1600:35> »
Ok, I understand how Impersonation works when I'm trying to impersonate "the CEO of Ares" or "John Smith, wage-slave at NeoNET", possibly and most likely in combination with the Disguise skill. It's explained quite well in the rulebook on p. 136.

Now sometimes, it's not necessary to impersonate a real person, it's just important that you are a different person than yourself, so you don't get recognized later on. Glue on a false beard and dye your hair pink (a disguise check) and then call yourself "Frank Rodriguez".

a) Would this require an impersonation check?
b) Would an impersonation check be allowed to help in the same way as mentioned on p.136. After all i'm faking to be a different person, one that doesn't really exist, but it still has to be consistent.
c) Would it be an entirely different check? Con maybe? Or maybe (doubt it) Performance?

TheDai

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-28-14/1631:05> »
I personally wouldn't use Impersonation. I'd say this is imitating as one specific Person. Specialization in the book says "By Metatype (Ork, Dwarf, Human, etc.)" so it doesn't look like you would get into party UNLESS you impersonate a person that is on the guest list.

I would first use Etiquette, if it is about "blending in" as a person of a specific culture (i.e. high society). You know how these people talk, react, walk ... so from the get go one could presume you are not a nasty Shadowrunner.

If there is any doubt about your role, I'd let you talk your way out using Con. Or use Con from the very start. It seems a very versatile skill, as it is built to fool people. Go out, call yourself Mr. Rodriguez, and sell some useless junk for a completely over the top price to gullible people. Thats what people pick this skill for, isn't it? :D

Anyway, thats how I see it.
One dagger in the night is more valuable, than thousand swords in the morning.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <07-28-14/1713:41> »
In the case of Frank Rodriquez, the pink-haired mustachioed man, this should be Impersonation.  Essentially what your character is doing is trying to convince someone that he's someone else.  I'd probably allow Con to be used without a penalty though, simply because they're so closely related in this instance.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.