NEWS

What's the trick for getting into a PbP game that actually happens?

• 8 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« on: <06-30-14/2232:13> »
I've been invited to play in three, and i started one of my own.
all of them but one seem to have died on the vine and the one that didn't is circling the drain already.

I see all these continuing games with players posting multiple times a day and stories actually playing out and whatnot.

What's the trick?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-30-14/2237:46> »
Well, some of it is finding the right people. I tend to be pretty good when playing myself.

Then its trying to maintain contact with those players. We've been having a bit of roughness in neverland due to one player leaving, and another disappearing in rapid succession while we were just about to start the game.

If you wanted to run one, I could join it, I've got a character in mind I've been wanting to use as I learn more things.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-01-14/0000:59> »
Well, some of it is finding the right people. I tend to be pretty good when playing myself.

Then its trying to maintain contact with those players. We've been having a bit of roughness in neverland due to one player leaving, and another disappearing in rapid succession while we were just about to start the game.

If you wanted to run one, I could join it, I've got a character in mind I've been wanting to use as I learn more things.
If yall need someone reliable to jump in the game you're in, i'd love to as well.
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-01-14/0142:11> »
Well, some of it is finding the right people
This. Not just reliability, though. Might seem obvious, but the players need to want to play with each other.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <07-01-14/0236:44> »
Well, some of it is finding the right people
This. Not just reliability, though. Might seem obvious, but the players need to want to play with each other.

can you expand?
"speaking out loud"
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Elektrycerze3

• Omae
  • Russian Decker
« Reply #5 on: <07-01-14/0254:21> »
If yall need someone reliable to jump in the game you're in, i'd love to as well.

I'm reliable too... and desperate =) If anybody needs a player for a 5e game, please do consider me.
« Last Edit: <07-01-14/1142:33> by Elektrycerze3 »
Speech | Matrix/Communication | Thought | Astral
“Forget hackers, I have my buddies Smith & Wesson: innovators of the point-and-click interface.”

Raiden

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-01-14/1111:51> »
I am also looking for a 4E game. desperate!
speech
Matrix
Actions
Thoughts

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #7 on: <07-01-14/1503:34> »
Massive discrepancy between numbers of people wanting to play and wanting to GM is main issue. Problem with PBP is that it's too easy to just stop posting, there's no physical connection to the other players so if the GM cocks up, it's often easier to stop posting and disappear. Same with players, if it gets bogged down and the pace of posts dry up, real life happens and people just stop.
Only advice I can give is to GM a game yourself and make sure the action keeps on rolling so people do t have chance to zone out
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <07-01-14/1811:10> »
Believe me Poindexter, I understand where you're coming from.  I fully admit that after the posting in our other shared game had stopped for about a week I didn't feel the same urge to make sure I check in every day, since your game hadn't started yet.  Like Cs said, real life happens and I didn't make as much effort to keep it from interfering with this aspect of my "me time."

Don't give up on your game so quickly though!  I know how disappointed I would be if I lacked the responses I was hoping for on day one, and I'm sorry about that.  I'd had a busy day so I went to bed before you posted it, and was out of the house from 9 am to 11 pm yesterday.  Just bad timing for me, but I'm still here with you!  If need be, just keep replacing people until you get a group with the right dedication I suppose.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral