NEWS

After errata, recoil seems a little toothless

• 200 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #195 on: <07-07-14/0500:12> »
...  You can't solve a mechanical problem in the fiction.  Any solution would have to be mechanical.

Yes, you can.  There will always be issues the rules and mechanics don't cover, that's one of the primary jobs of the GM.

Really.  Please do go ahead and explain your non-mechanical suggestion for resolving this.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #196 on: <07-07-14/0836:27> »
...  You can't solve a mechanical problem in the fiction.  Any solution would have to be mechanical.

Yes, you can.  There will always be issues the rules and mechanics don't cover, that's one of the primary jobs of the GM.

Really.  Please do go ahead and explain your non-mechanical suggestion for resolving this.

Let's get something out of the way;  fiction and mechanics are not diametrically opposed, they're married to each other.  It's not role playing if mechanics don't pertain to the fiction, and it's not a game if the fiction has no mechanics.  So, I can agree that "any solution would have to be mechanical,"  but I take issue with the assertion that the narrative can't solve the problem.

Second, I thought Xenon pretty much had the best solution to this problem in particular with utilizing the "ready weapon" action.

But since you're asking, let me show you what I would do;

It's simple.  Bring out the disadvantages of their equipment.  Put them in a spot and use ad-hoc modifiers.

Examples:
  Sure, the elevator's tall enough for your sniper rifle to fit, but not wide enough.  When the door opens, and the firefight starts, your weapon won't be ready, and you can't close the elevator doors until the rifle is out of the way again.

Everyone's jumping rooftops?  You still lugging that 5 foot sniper rifle and trying to run with it?  It's banging into the backs of your knees as you run and puts you off balance for your jump.  +1 Threshold on your acrobatics test, and if you glitch you land on your rifle, badly.

You're clearing the room?  The hallway you're in is pretty narrow.  You can enter but you're operating at some bad angles with that long barrel, you won't be able to bring the weapon to bear this phase at the oblique angles... you sure you don't want to draw your Predator?

The ganger isn't expecting you to shoot him, but that sniper rifle weighs ten kilos.  There's no way you're gonna bring it to bear on him before he gets a chance to react.  Roll initiative.

I'd recommend Dungeon World for further reading.  It's quite good, and has entirely narrative gameplay.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #197 on: <07-07-14/1923:50> »
Never said they were diametrically opposed, but they are distinct and seperate entities.

Second, ad hoc modifiers like that are, in fact, mechanical.  Weapon readiness is a mechanical state, +1 Threshold is a mechanical effect, losing the opportunity for Surprise is a mechanical effect...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #198 on: <07-07-14/1935:39> »
Semantics, gentlemen.  Semantics.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

JimmyCrisis

• Omae
« Reply #199 on: <07-07-14/2140:13> »
Never said they were diametrically opposed, but they are distinct and seperate entities.

Second, ad hoc modifiers like that are, in fact, mechanical.  Weapon readiness is a mechanical state, +1 Threshold is a mechanical effect, losing the opportunity for Surprise is a mechanical effect...
I accept your apology.  I'm glad to see that we agree on so many things.

Semantics, gentlemen.  Semantics.
Don't worry, we're done.

Dracain

• Omae
« Reply #200 on: <07-08-14/0945:32> »
One could rule that Sniper Rifles and Assault Rifles need to be braced against the shoulder before you fire them or you take a negative dice pool modifier of 4 dice (and cannot utilize recoil compensation from shock pads). Game mechanic wise that mean three things.

1) You take another negative dice pool modifier of 4 dice when using a Sniper Rifle or Assault Rifle to shoot around corners without exposing yourself.

2) You take another negative dice pool modifier of 4 dice when using a Sniper Rifle or Assault Rifle while engaged in melee combat.

3) You take another negative dice pool modifier of 4 dice (for a total of 6 dice) when you are considered running with a Sniper Rifle or an Assault Rifle.

- Instead of the additional negative dice pool modifier of 4 dice you may choose to spend a Ready Weapon simple action after each movement while considered running to again brace the weapon against the shoulder before aiming or firing (and only get -2 for running).

- If you place your assault rifle in a gyro mount harness you can keep your weapon braced against the shoulder even while considered running and thus does not take an extra negative dice pool modifier of 4 dice.

SR5 p. 161 Movement
It’s important to point out that “run” does not mean bolt as fast as you can; that’s sprinting. Think of running as a trained combat hustle or a jog, something to get you to another point quickly but still leave you able to perform other actions, albeit with a penalty.
I really like this idea.  It's clever and it works.  I would +1 you if that system was still in effect.