NEWS

Minmaxed Elf Mage Face

• 124 Replies

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <05-14-14/0919:44> »
If the archetypes are any indication, Attributes D and E are typically used by non-humans; plus even a Human with E can go 1/2/2/2/3/3/3/4.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <05-14-14/0926:34> »
I don't mind the occasional 1 in a stat--my Face started Missions with a 1 in Str (it's now 3)--my main concern is when you have people dump stats that are actually important to their character concept and then buy Agility 9 cyberlimbs, which gets around (sort of) the inherent problems with having a dump stat.

That said, this character doesn't remotely get around having multiple dump stats and probably wouldn't survive Food Fight, so it's a problem, but it's not the problem I outlined above.

As a number of people have pointed out, this guy can't hack, even in a back up roll.  Nevertheless, the host specialization of hacking is a trap option.  You hack devices far more often.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

TimTurry

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <05-14-14/1153:18> »
personally I really don't agree with or even get the rage some people have if a player dares turn up with a 1 in a stat, let alone more than 1.  ...

I don't see the anger either, but I have a guess.  People get mad when they se  some guy collecting workman's comp, and staying at home when he is healthy, or millionaires that collect welfare.  The attitude is that "hey, I paid my dues, I work for a living, he should too."  Even though how the other guy lives does not effect them.  for some reason they see the 1's as someone trying to "get away" with something (which actually is the case when the article is titles minmax).

Instead of telling me to get off food-stamps, they fake interest in my well-being, and tell me I am going to die.  How is an Improved Invisible guy with 12 sneak dice who fights with spirits going to die in Food Fight?

Here's my proof:
I have presented a face with (not counting specializations)
12 dice con
15 dice negotiation
8 dice in all other chr skills.

If I made the same guy with a 5 in Chr, 5 con, 5 negotiation, Foci in con and negotiation to bring them up to 12 and 15 dice, then went ahead and spent 3 on the other 6 Chr skills (18 total skill points), no one would make the statement "you are not a good face!"

Apparently to be a good face, you have to "spend" 3 in etiquette to show the DM and fellow players your dedication to your role!  Never mind that I can go from 8 dice to 10 dice with 2 karma, and your "dedicated" face will have to spend 18 karma for the same thing.

The only thing I want from etiquette is 2-3 successes to make it look like I am some kind of a biker.  I am not trying to blend with the Lannisters in my first 4-5 adventures.
« Last Edit: <05-14-14/1202:51> by TimTurry »

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <05-14-14/1200:19> »
Instead of telling me to get off foodstamps, they fake interest in my well-being, and tell me I am going to die.  How is an Improved Invisible guy with 12 sneak dice who fights with spirits going to die in Foodfight?
This character build is beyond minmax: it's deeply flawed. Us pointing out those flaws doesn't make us Neoconservatives.

12 sneak dice
Your 12 Sneak dice don't matter much if the game mechanics say you can only keep 2 hits. Plus even with 4 hits on Improved Invisibility, there's a fair chance someone might see you anyway.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #19 on: <05-14-14/1206:01> »
Priority A for Skills also works properly with Metahumans and certain Awakened types. At least my characters never got squished because of this choice. Very possible others play the game in a way requiring more focused builds …

Nevertheless, all the other comments are very right. There is something seriously wrong with this character. My first thought was, please let me game master that one. I would not even know where to start with bringing him down to earth with this epic fail in "minmaxing". So many creative options to make the player hate me … But I also would feel really bad to fictionally torture a mentally and physically handicapped being.

Sorry, that was meant to read "Metahuman AND Awakened".   (Corrected above)
You can get by with one or the other but both and skills is really pushing attributes so far down on the list IMHO to the point of painful.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <05-14-14/1216:15> »
You could also simply not win initiative.  You're slower than all the NPCs and you don't have anything quickened yet.

I don't have anything against min/max characters either; a lot of math goes into my chargen and karma-spending decisions to maximize ROI.  This character isn't min/max.  It's simply unplayable.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <05-14-14/1232:35> »
So here's the thing: you can't wear a heavy jacket without being encumbered. You are the definition of "gonna get 1-shot."

Question about this.
I thought STR came into play w/ bonus add on items like Shield & Helmet.
Did I miss something in the rules ?

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <05-14-14/1238:53> »
If the primary focus here is "KARMA EFFICIENCY".

I have to ask.

Why bother blowing 2 Karma for the Mono-Whip at creation ?

Its nothing a Face like this couldn't get later when they have more cash.

Right now with this character EVERY penny IMHO needs to be into Good Armor & Binding Reagents just to stay alive.

And again, as many have pointed out, a single ganger with a light pistol is going to KO this guy in 1 turn.

My GM is always nice about "spreading" the love around.

Sure the Troll Tank gets 2-3 guys shooting at him because, well, HE'S A TROLL TANK.  :o

But my caster & even the Decker & Rigger will get a single person throwing lead their way to make sure everyone shares in the fun.

This guy won't survive that.

Furious Trope

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <05-14-14/1243:45> »
I kind of like this concept.

Sure, it's probably going to blow up in his face.

Let it. He'll learn from it. What's the matter of playing with some risk?
You're only ever one bag of grenades away from chunky salsa.

http://powerwalkinginthedarkness.wordpress.com/

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <05-14-14/1252:31> »
So here's the thing: you can't wear a heavy jacket without being encumbered. You are the definition of "gonna get 1-shot."
Question about this.
I thought STR came into play w/ bonus add on items like Shield & Helmet.
Did I miss something in the rules ?
I'm guessing it has to do with only being able to carry 10kg of gear - normally, that sort of stuff is glossed over, though.

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <05-14-14/1410:37> »
I'm gonna be honest, I've been checking in on this thread out of sheer morbid curiosity on how people might respond to it... and how it might be defended

Obviously, a lot of responders believe that not only is it horrifically skewed, that it's not even skewed in a way that would be beneficial

However my concern is as follows:  even assuming that you are able to be an asset on runs, which is apparently arguable, how does this character survive everyday life?  As shown, you have squatter lifestyle and nothing else.  No clothing listed no fake SIN, no licenses.  You're walking sinless, homeless, with at best ratty used clothing on your back and a highly forbidden weapon in your possession.  You have a mild allergy to seafood, and given that krill is present in the vast majority of Sixth World Foods, you'll almost always be suffering from a -2 penalty due to exposure.  I mean seriously it’s one of the big three proteins: Soy, Krill, Mycoprotein.

So the picture here is an emaciated, weak, unwashed, poorly dressed but otherwise charming (?) elf who is always scratching himself due to a constant allergic reaction.  He lives on the streets meal to meal, despite the fact that his constitution will pretty much catch any infection or virus that comes along.

I don’t see the above character surviving the rigors of normal life.  Past that to get him into a run you have to convince a runner team to carry him, despite his only bonus points being the ability to summon (but not bind) spirits, and talk decently well after you’ve cleaned him up and given him a suit.  A runner team won’t take that.  They’re looking for competence, bringing something to the table.  Not someone who might be really useful much later.

This isn’t D&D, downtime isn’t something that’s just completely handwaved away.  Your character doesn’t just exist completely in a vacuum.  So even assuming you can be an asset to runs, eventually, I don’t see this “min-maxed” character ever surviving a walk to Stuffer Shack to pick up some NERPS and a burrito in the barrens.  And let’s not mention if he turns a corner and runs into an ork ganger who decides he wants to get his jollies pounding this skinny looking dandelion-eater.  If he’s lucky he might get to order his spirit buddy to take out the ganger, but more than likely he’ll be pasted before he can react.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <05-14-14/1515:27> »
I'm guessing it has to do with only being able to carry 10kg of gear - normally, that sort of stuff is glossed over, though.

Okay, I took that to be carry in addition to regular amount of clothing that isn't going overboard.
IE, you can wear a coat & carry a rifle or a single bag.  You can't load yourself down with Vest, Jacket, Lined Coat & Military Armor while lugging a Heavy MG & 2000 rds of ammo.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <05-14-14/1951:58> »
I don’t see the above character surviving the rigors of normal life.

Taking away all the descriptive text,  I think this here states the issue as simply as it can be said.  ;)

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #28 on: <05-14-14/2204:40> »
@ TimTurry: so none of us think your concept will work. Yet despite everything that everyone has written you haven't made a change and are planning to proceed.

I would be very curious how this character progresses. How about posting the highlights from his deeds? I'm not being snarky - just curious.

SlowDeck

• Ace Runner
  • How do people add personal text under their name?
« Reply #29 on: <05-14-14/2214:52> »
I'm curious as well. Taking one look at this character, my first thought was that they would get destroyed by an enemy mage and that they don't have the physical skills to hold their own otherwise. And as a face... I don't see that going well.

Still, might be wrong.
"Speech" Spirit/"Astral" Thought/"Subvocal" Matrix/"Commlink" "Totem" [Time/Date] <<Text&email>>