NEWS

Making your starting Contacts

• 17 Replies

dmfubar

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <07-09-14/2158:27> »
*Apologies in advance for the length, couldn't remember the code for hiding things*

I enjoy creating npc's back stories, but don't have a lot of time, especially as I am usually trying to figure out several scenarios at the same time to throw the characters through.  But, my players are relatively new to the genre, so designing the contacts falls to me.  So I look at what they spent their initial points on for contacts (almost always just the contacts profession), and run with it from there.  I write up a short paragraph or two on the characters knowledge (length and detail depending upon Loyalty), their description, and what uses that contact may be to the character, trying to give out some ideas for uses beyond the basic profession.  From that point forward, the contact is available to other characters to meet and acquire, with their Loyalty being a 1 (or higher if it is a starting character) and their Connection remaining the same for all characters.

Here is an example of a typical Contact an elf street samurai wanted... he asked for a Ancient contact with a Connection 4 Loyalty 3...

LILLITH
Lillith, Elven Bike Master of the Seattle Chapter of the Ancients, is known as a true technical wizard with bikes, from tearing one down, to pulling off the most outrageous stunts possible. As Bike Master, she is responsible for the general condition and look of the Seattle chapter’s bikes.  She does this through randomly choosing a squad to ride with each week, and if someone’s bike isn’t up to her standards, the offender doesn’t ride or even wear their colors until the bike is up to par.  She isn’t completely heartless though, she’ll offer to help with repairs, but not parts!  Unlike many other Lieutenant’s, her position within the gang does not give her subordinates.  Instead, she can call on whichever squad she is with, and in times of true need, several squads through favors.  This makes her a true danger to cross, and a power within her on right equal to many of The Ancient Captains.
Lillith is hard… she’s had a rough life and has some secrets she would kill to keep.  She is a rarity though, no magical ability, and an absolute refusal to go chrome. Despite this, she is fearless when riding any bike, especially her personal Suzuki Mirage.  She often comes across as gruff, but for those she calls a friend, she has been known to go beyond what is needed.
Description:  Lillith stands 6’-0” and is thin as a reed.  She is typically encountered wearing a body suit of light green with dark green highlights (urban jump suit with helmet) and a tactical vest stuffed with tools useful for bike repairs.  She keeps her green hair cut short so it is easy to clean and doesn’t get in the way. 
Typical Uses:  Lillith can be called upon for anything involving vehicles, from transportation to chop shops.  She has access to the various activities the Ancients are involved in, including smuggling (anything), weapons, and talislegging.  Finally, she can be called upon occasionally to utilize the Ancients as a distraction, or physical and magical backup, but this tends to cost a great deal in favors and nuyen.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #16 on: <07-10-14/0109:37> »
For general contacts, I'l give some information.  My contact purchase system uses some wacky multipliers (Loyalty x 1.1) x (Connection x 1.1) in Karma, with Loyalty ranging from 1-7 (7s are those 'will suicide for you' fanatics) and Connection the standard 1-12.  There are adders - Loyalty also has 'access', i.e. how quickly they'll interrupt what they're doing, making you more and more important (will they take a day off work?  will they take your call during a business meeting?  will they interrupt, ah, 'private time with the spouse' for you?), while Connection has adders for high levels of particularly useful skills, if they're a group (and the size of the group), and how much matrix/magical/military might they can haul out for you.  (The Connection adders range from 1-6.)

However, I will have some more than just baseline information, so:

Ogami Itto, Bladesmith
Loyalty 2, Connection 1
Male Human; Best Japanese Bladesmith in the World. Specials: Knowledge rating 6, Armorer 13 (Japanese Blades +2)
Karma cost: 16

Mr. Cleaner
Group: Clothiers/Armorers
Loyalty 1, Connection 4
Clothing/Armor Sales and Rental. Specials: Knowledge: 5 (Fashion 10), Organization Size: 2 (26-100 members)
Karma cost: 13   

Musashi Flex
Membership in Group; Personal Combat network.
Loyalty 1, Connection 3
Group; Personal Combat network.  Current Ranking 914, Points 667. Specials: Knowledge: 3 (close combat skills 7-8),
   Org Size: 4 (201-500, both combatant and support staff, in 'near vicinity', i.e. 500 miles).  Force 1: Squad (willing/able to be hired at any one time).
Karma cost: 13

Chandira Walker
Babysitter
Loyalty 3, Connection 1
Female Ork. Specials: Access: 2 (Interrupt Work).
Karma cost: 5
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wolfshade

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <07-10-14/2008:57> »
As I believe others have said.......As  a GM I usually sit wit each player and listen/read their backstory. their list of contacts should be mixed in with this story. Descriptions, what they are and so forth are there, I usually have the stats from that, but they never see them.