NEWS

How to properly scale Matrix Defense and PC's?

• 38 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #30 on: <07-08-14/0225:51> »
Why can they not plug a cable into their living persona?

Whatever makes a TM a TM is located, mostly in their brains. That's why Mega Corps can put a TM brain in a jar and keep them being TMs. That's why their Living Persona is based off their mental attributes. That's why in Virtual Realities 2.0 Otaku's brains were described as being bioprocess computers (p144).

Their brains can access and interpret raw Matrix signals. Deckers need a deck to convert all those 0's and 1's into mental stimulant, while a TM can bypass that because their minds know it intuitively and automatically. Plugging a TM's brain into the Matrix with trodes or a datajack is just cutting out the middle man (the deck). They are not forming a persona using the Trodes or Datajack, they're just forwarding the raw data to their brains.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <07-08-14/0239:33> »
Why can they not plug a cable into their living persona?

Whatever makes a TM a TM is located, mostly in their brains. That's why Mega Corps can put a TM brain in a jar and keep them being TMs. That's why their Living Persona is based off their mental attributes. That's why in Virtual Realities 2.0 Otaku's brains were described as being bioprocess computers (p144).

Their brains can access and interpret raw Matrix signals. Deckers need a deck to convert all those 0's and 1's into mental stimulant, while a TM can bypass that because their minds know it intuitively and automatically. Plugging a TM's brain into the Matrix with trodes or a datajack is just cutting out the middle man (the deck). They are not forming a persona using the Trodes or Datajack, they're just forwarding the raw data to their brains.

It might be based in their brains, at least in part, but it isn't actually their brain (made clear in SR4's Unwired).  They have nothing they can actually plug a cable into.

They can use Trodes or a Datajack for DNI, surely.  A direct connection is another thing entirely.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #32 on: <07-08-14/0940:04> »
DNI is not in doubt here.  The problem is that there's nothing to say that a living persona can (or cannot) be used via trodes.  As I think I've stated here, I suggest bypassing all this nonsense by giving technomancers the skinlink echo for free.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <07-08-14/1613:39> »
DNI is not in doubt here.  The problem is that there's nothing to say that a living persona can (or cannot) be used via trodes.  As I think I've stated here, I suggest bypassing all this nonsense by giving technomancers the skinlink echo for free.

What would "use it via trodes" constitute, precisely?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <07-08-14/1639:44> »
What would "use it via trodes" constitute, precisely?

With a non-technomancer, a persona is formed by a device, which absorbs the device into the persona.  A technomancer is both the user and the device in this equation.  So the question is whether or not a persona (living or not) can be used from behind a device.

Persona - Matrix
vs.
Persona - Device - Matrix

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <07-09-14/0100:19> »
"Used from behind a device" meaning getting DNI with your Persona, or getting direct connection with your persona?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

TheDai

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <07-09-14/0726:57> »
So, this became another "why are TM's so awful"-Threads. Well, why not ...

Direct Connection:

A direct Connection needs 3 Things:
Universal data Connector on MY Device
Universal data Connector on HIS Device
And a Cable. (5NY for 1m cable, datajacks and cyberdecks come with one)

How does a Decker do it:
He has a Cyberdeck. If its implanted, he gets free DNI. If its not implanted, he needs a Datajack. His Cyberdeck is Connected to his DNI. He puts a cable in his Cyberdeck and in the Enemy Machine  and gets direct connection.

Technomancer:
Living Persona equals no PAN, and no chance in putting a cable into something. But what does his Living Persona equals?

He can see AR and HOT Sim VR.
AR equals: Cybereyes / Glasses / Contacts with built-in Image Link.
VR equals: Commlink + Sim Module + Hot sim OR Cyberdeck (Sim Module + Hot Sim is always installed on Cyberdecks)

The BIG Question:
Does Living Persona equal to implanted Cyberdeck without DNI and Cable? And can this be supplemented with Trodes (No Essence Cost) or a Datajack?

The book doesn't seem to answer this question properly and as I see the discussion here and in every other TM-related Topic, nobody is too sure about it.

Other, probably related Questions:
1. How to use Smartlink?
This may seem an odd question, but it does a similar job as the Imagelink, only the info doesn't come out of the Matrix (ARO's) but from the device/Weapon in your Hand. So you can interpret all Kinds of AR stuff via your Living Persona, but not what the Weapon is trying to tell you.
Imagelink and Smartlink is usually implanted in the same device, as if they are just ... programs in your Glasses OS, as an example. It would seem weird to use i.e. Cybereyes for everything, except the Smartlink on a pair of Glasses. As these two are not connected, it might generate a giant mess in your field of view, because everything is overlaying everything else. CHAOS.

2. Wireless Bonuses of any Kind:
let me quote the Book:
Quote from: SR5
Because nearly every piece of gear and ’ware is wireless
capable, it means nearly every piece of gear and cyberware
benefits dramatically from being “meshed” into your
wireless personal area network and the Matrix as a whole.
As the Book states, your living Persona does not have a PAN, so you should NOT be able to benefit from wireless boni of any kind, except you do the following:
1. Shutdown your living persona, 2. Enter AR with your Commlink (Master of your PAN) and Glasses+Image-Link. 3. Enjoy Wireless like a Mundane.

Kinda kills some of the fun.

As to the original Topic here: We adjusted the Matrix a bit and I have the Rules a bit clearer in front of me, so I'm sure it will get better in the future.
Only now the other characters start to demand impossible things (Quote: "There are two persons missing for three days. You, Matrix Guy!, go into the matrix and find them!"). OOC I might need to talk to them again, IC I only hear "please put Databombs on my Commlink, as many as you can!".
Let's see how long my character survives.
One dagger in the night is more valuable, than thousand swords in the morning.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <07-09-14/0952:52> »
"Used from behind a device" meaning getting DNI with your Persona, or getting direct connection with your persona?

Both, ultimately.  A decker gets his persona from the cyberdeck, so any DNI or direct connections exist before the persona is created.  The technomancer is the persona, so there's no opportunity to form DNI or direct connections before the persona is generated.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #38 on: <07-09-14/2327:10> »
The first should be possible, the second isn't per the definition of a direct connection.  A wire into your trodes is not the same thing as a wire into your Living Persona - your connection to your trodes will always be wireless, and as soon as wireless enters the connection you don't have a direct connection.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites