NEWS

New RPG Player/Shadowrunner Looking for a game.

• 5 Replies

Nimbasa

• Chummer
  • To pray is to accept defeat
« on: <05-01-14/0003:52> »
Hello! I'm new to this scary world of pen and paper RPGs and Shadowrun caught my eye. I've played Shadowrun Returns a bit, and I'm in the process of reading the quick start book I downloaded on the catalyst website. I'm trying to find some folks down to play with a newbie (online, preferably, unless you live in/close to Denver,  then I'm sure we can be best friends) and watch me die horribly. Feel free to reply if you're interested!
Speech
Astral
Thought
Matrix/Commlink

Sehkmet

« Reply #1 on: <05-04-14/2038:21> »
Well, my dear sir, if you don't mind, I'm in the same boat!  Some 5E experience with a real live group but I'm relocating out of my city.  So I'm looking for an online group as well.  Although I'm semi-experienced, I definitely prefer the newb-friendly games.

If we have a group of newbies/prospective players unite, hopefully we can attract a GM!

olg707

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <05-04-14/2110:45> »
Me too! If y ou find anything let me know!

Nimbasa

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <05-04-14/2248:37> »
Well, my dear sir, if you don't mind, I'm in the same boat!  Some 5E experience with a real live group but I'm relocating out of my city.  So I'm looking for an online group as well.  Although I'm semi-experienced, I definitely prefer the newb-friendly games.

If we have a group of newbies/prospective players unite, hopefully we can attract a GM!
Of course I don't mind! Welcome aboard haha, and yeah, hoping to find a GM.

Me too! If y ou find anything let me know!
Will do sir!
Speech
Astral
Thought
Matrix/Commlink

ShadoWarrior

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <05-06-14/1036:07> »
Hello! I'm new to this scary world of pen and paper RPGs and Shadowrun caught my eye. I've played Shadowrun Returns a bit, and I'm in the process of reading the quick start book I downloaded on the catalyst website. I'm trying to find some folks down to play with a newbie (online, preferably, unless you live in/close to Denver,  then I'm sure we can be best friends) and watch me die horribly. Feel free to reply if you're interested!
I, too, have played SRR and I'd like to point out that mages play fairly differently in SRR than they do in SR5e. I found this out the hard way when I started playing a mage in my first SR5e PbP on this site. In SRR you don't concern yourself with how much Force (limit, in tabletop SR parlance) your spell has. You just cast what you have and have no control over how powerful the spell you cast is. SRR's version of putting more 'oomph' (Force) into a spell is by having higher rank versions of spells. And there are vast differences in the creation of characters.

In SRR, there is little reason not to play with a metahuman (elf, dwarf, whatever) or a mage as the differences are simply a matter of stats and all starting characters begin with gear based  upon their class, not their race. In SR5e, you have to make major sacrifices in your Priority Table picks to choose to play nonhumans or mages. If you pick a nonhuman you will either have to settle for very little money so you can have good stats or skills or magical power, or sacrifice stats and/or skills to get enough money to pay for your toys. Basically, in SRR you get race and/or magical ability at no significant cost. In SR5e you have to pay a major price to be nonhuman or to have magical ability. In SRR the different races are more flavor than they are substance, with the main difference being a couple of points in some starting stats and how high you can raise those stats. In SR5e, there are very distinct differences between the races that strongly affect character building and the play of said characters.

Nimbasa

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <05-06-14/1211:55> »
I, too, have played SRR and I'd like to point out that mages play fairly differently in SRR than they do in SR5e. I found this out the hard way when I started playing a mage in my first SR5e PbP on this site. In SRR you don't concern yourself with how much Force (limit, in tabletop SR parlance) your spell has. You just cast what you have and have no control over how powerful the spell you cast is. SRR's version of putting more 'oomph' (Force) into a spell is by having higher rank versions of spells. And there are vast differences in the creation of characters.

In SRR, there is little reason not to play with a metahuman (elf, dwarf, whatever) or a mage as the differences are simply a matter of stats and all starting characters begin with gear based  upon their class, not their race. In SR5e, you have to make major sacrifices in your Priority Table picks to choose to play nonhumans or mages. If you pick a nonhuman you will either have to settle for very little money so you can have good stats or skills or magical power, or sacrifice stats and/or skills to get enough money to pay for your toys. Basically, in SRR you get race and/or magical ability at no significant cost. In SR5e you have to pay a major price to be nonhuman or to have magical ability. In SRR the different races are more flavor than they are substance, with the main difference being a couple of points in some starting stats and how high you can raise those stats. In SR5e, there are very distinct differences between the races that strongly affect character building and the play of said characters.
Huh, didn't know that, but very useful information!  Thanks!
Speech
Astral
Thought
Matrix/Commlink