NEWS

Run & Gun rules questions

• 138 Replies

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #60 on: <04-14-14/1940:37> »
Yeah that's a toughie.  I mean rationally if you're trained in boxing all of your punches would be better.  But you do make ma specs inherently better than the generic version with that ruling. 
Alternatively, your ma skill spec is very situational if it only applies during the technique and you're looking at a huge karma investment to get fully spec'd (7 for the art, 7 for the ma spec, 7 for weapon spec, +5 per technique).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #61 on: <04-14-14/2026:21> »
And even if you do take the strict interpretation (which, to me, has logical issues I can't reconcile), it's ludicrously easy to get the bonus at basically all times - for example, you could take the Kick technique and have the bonus to all of your attacks.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Giabralter

• Freelancer
  • Chummer
« Reply #62 on: <04-14-14/2136:11> »
Gibraltar replied to a few threads. They are listed as a freelancer, although I am unsure if Gibraltar worked on R&G or not. But it's at least a bit more than us random sacks opinion on things, LOL.

I think the way I would rule it is that the specialization applies whenever the technique applies. So, if you have a tech that lets you reduce the Called Shot (Leg) penalty by one, you also would roll two additional dice whenever you make a called shot (Leg) attack (assuming the skill is appropriate to the style, so no Dim Mak with a sniper rifle).

Random Opinion is Can Ray's Job  ;-)

And you are correct again on the ruling. The specialization applies whenever the technique applies.

Kick is a specific action to get a bonus to reach, so it would only apply for the use of that technique.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <04-14-14/2323:28> »
Kick is a specific action to get a bonus to reach, so it would only apply for the use of that technique.

Of course, but what would happen, inevitably, is that the player would never not use that technique.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #64 on: <04-15-14/0132:54> »
Of course, but what would happen, inevitably, is that the player would never not use that technique.

That is certainly a risk, and it was the same risk when martial arts were introduced in 4th edition.  Ultimately, this is a much better and more well-rounded system than 4th edition, as it gives lots more options.  The thing is, the technique can only be used in places where its use is feasible.  Kicking someone to get the +1 Reach isn't applicable when the opponent grapples you, clinches you, throws you, reverses you, you're fighting in tight spaces, etc.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #65 on: <04-15-14/0143:38> »

That is certainly a risk, and it was the same risk when martial arts were introduced in 4th edition.  Ultimately, this is a much better and more well-rounded system than 4th edition, as it gives lots more options.  The thing is, the technique can only be used in places where its use is feasible.  Kicking someone to get the +1 Reach isn't applicable when the opponent grapples you, clinches you, throws you, reverses you, you're fighting in tight spaces, etc.

You know, other than kick techniques specifically intended for those kinds of scenarios?  And even then:  Specialization in Muay Thai, grab Kick and Clinch, and there you go.

Besides that, it's not at all like you can't easily get specializations for other skills that cover everything, like Pistols (Semi-Auto) or Pilot Ground (Wheeled).  So, I frankly don't see the balance argument on this one.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #66 on: <04-15-14/0324:20> »
You know, other than kick techniques specifically intended for those kinds of scenarios?  And even then:  Specialization in Muay Thai, grab Kick and Clinch, and there you go.

There's two points here, and it may simply boil down to an "agree to disagree" situation.  Point one: if one is taking Muay Thai just for the fact that one can Kick and Clinch, then that's akin to twinking.  Point two: Kick and Clinch are two separate techniques that are useful in different situations.  Your original argument was that if you took Kick, that'd be all you do.  By your own admission, the solution is to take two techniques, in a specific martial art.

Besides that, it's not at all like you can't easily get specializations for other skills that cover everything, like Pistols (Semi-Auto) or Pilot Ground (Wheeled).  So, I frankly don't see the balance argument on this one.

I'm not sure I understand.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #67 on: <04-15-14/0351:12> »
1: Actually, the original contention (though not stated in full) was that it is pretty easy to get to a point, at least for some martial arts, where you get to have the specialty all the time.

2: The point is to establish that it isn't actually broken to have the specialty applied basically all the time, or at very least no less broken than the other occasions where that's possible.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #68 on: <04-15-14/0412:01> »
Yeah that's a toughie.  I mean rationally if you're trained in boxing all of your punches would be better.  But you do make ma specs inherently better than the generic version with that ruling. 
Alternatively, your ma skill spec is very situational if it only applies during the technique and you're looking at a huge karma investment to get fully spec'd (7 for the art, 7 for the ma spec, 7 for weapon spec, +5 per technique).
Wouldn't work, would it? I don't think you can ever get a bonus from more than one specialization, even if they overlap. I'd have to check the book to be sure.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #69 on: <04-15-14/0535:10> »
Wouldn't work, would it? I don't think you can ever get a bonus from more than one specialization, even if they overlap. I'd have to check the book to be sure.

Correct.  It's buried in the second paragraph under Specializations, p. 129, SR5:

"Characters can have multiple specializations within the same skill, but one applies at a time.  For example, a character with the Blades skill who specializes in Axes and Parrying would only receive a +2 dice bonus to tests when parrying with an axe."
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

martinchaen

« Reply #70 on: <04-15-14/0700:23> »
Fringe
Thanks for digging that up, but aaw, that's a bit of a bummer; I guess that means it's easier/better (at least from an optimization standpoint)  to specialize in the weapon you'll be using 9 times out of 10 as opposed to the Martial Art style.

For my own Adept, that would be Swords instead of Kenjutsu, as every attack with the sword would get +2, whereas only the Kenjutsu techniques would receive the specialization benefit from a Kenjutsu specialization.

So yes, very situational.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #71 on: <04-15-14/0908:35> »
Muay Thai's kick-while-clinching is covered under Ti Khao.  Using a Kick technique while clinching would be counterproductive since reach bonuses are negated in a clinch.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #72 on: <04-15-14/1030:21> »
Since they don't stack,  for weapon arts I think you're much better off just grabbing the weapon spec since the techniques generally use that skill in them anyway.  For unarmed I'm not sure it's as clear cut.
Does anyone think it would be unbalanced to just allow the +2 to generic striking if you've got the ma spec?  This would make that silliness with kick type techniques unnecessary.

Mara

• Ace Runner
« Reply #73 on: <04-15-14/1138:19> »
What is the point of the Burst Fire mode on the Savalette guardian being a complex action...if
it is already a complex action to fire a SA weapon in a burst? What is the difference that makes
this something that exists?

Also: what would be the damage of the Travalgar gun cane in melee(wielded by a martial artist
using Bartitsu)?

Cronstintein

• Chummer
« Reply #74 on: <04-15-14/1150:43> »
Yeah that burst fire mode is strange.  Can you do a long burst? (Normally a complex action with a bf weapon)  If so, then that's the only improvement I see. 
Otherwise it's pointless as a complex sa burst is the same as a simple bf short burst.