NEWS

question about bows and arrows

• 11 Replies

beastman420

• Newb
« on: <03-27-14/1048:38> »
i was wanting to know if i could modify a bow were the limbs
move toward the riser to make the bow easier to carry and i was wanting to mak a telescopjc arrow to match

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <03-27-14/1100:09> »
You mean like a modern compound bow?

Sure, thats already in the game as far as I would imagine. You'd have to be some sort of elven luddite firming klinging on to the English Longbows of old age to run around with a huge bow like that when it isn't really needed. Modern Compound bows can be folded quite nicely.

The telescopic arrows are a nice touch, I suppose your GM could work with you on making it since an arrow is basically three parts.

The arrow head
The stick which you want to be telescopic and
The tail feathers for arrow flight control.

As far as I understand, it is possible to have just the stick and feathers made so that you can just plunk on an arrowhead (Similar to what we saw with the Avengers movie, and Hawkeye - which is what I am guessing you are going for theme wise?).

From a GM perspective I'd say the following to one of my players if he asked;

Sure!

It'll cost more Nuyen per arrow, and it'll require Wireless turned on if you want the quiver to be automated so that you have the right arrow head at the right time on the right arrow (And the quiver would likely be at least as large as Hawkeye's in The Avengers). It would likely also require you to have the negative trait "Destinctive Style", since you'll be working with custom gear which makes you easier to trace to a scene.

But other than that I don't see why it wouldn't be possible in 2075.

beastman420

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-27-14/1116:50> »
yea thats wht j wanted im think im going to use a elf phyical adept  spec in bow and take a couple okinf in pistols. j was wodeing should i take a melee skill as well jusf in case the fjght gets too close for comfort?

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <03-27-14/1149:07> »
yea thats wht j wanted im think im going to use a elf phyical adept  spec in bow and take a couple okinf in pistols. j was wodeing should i take a melee skill as well jusf in case the fjght gets too close for comfort?

Personally I would go all the way with such a character, and go with a code of honour that disallows modern firearms on top of the distinctive style. I'd also put a bunch of points into being able to stealth as to be able to do recon. A high strength bow has a pretty good range, so if you wanted the most out of it from the start you'd have to max out Strength since damage is Str+2, with AP equal to Str/4.

Depending on how you want to do min/maxing, you could go for some strength enhancing Bioware as well.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-27-14/1157:11> »
Keep in mind that RAW, bows and arrows are subject to the max-rating-at-chargen-is-6 restriction (although even with an internal smartlink system, you could simply save up some nuyen at chargen and get a Strength-10 Bow and some arrows right after).

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <03-27-14/1333:35> »
Keep in mind that RAW, bows and arrows are subject to the max-rating-at-chargen-is-6 restriction (although even with an internal smartlink system, you could simply save up some nuyen at chargen and get a Strength-10 Bow and some arrows right after).

As a weapon, max availibility is at 12 no? It's not a device.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-27-14/1338:29> »
As a weapon, max availibility is at 12 no? It's not a device.
I don't like it either, but the restriction also applies to "gear" ratings (so no Rating 25 explosives, either). At least for Missions, anyway:
I see rating 6 or less, not device rating 6 or less, in the Missions FAQ. I think a question has already been submitted on that to the faq topic in General Discussion, but which term does Missions want to use, Rating or Device Rating? Aka, are explosives, bows and arrows allowed past rating 6?
Same as the core rulebook.  It's Rating 6 across the board, Device or otherwise.

beastman420

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-27-14/1412:29> »
are there different types of arrows that are not in the core rulebook if not i was thinking to create a few different broadhead modifications any help with that would be helpful and appreciated

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <03-27-14/1506:31> »
Arsenal in SR4 had extra types, so the soon-to-be-released Run&Gun will likely have some.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

TormDK

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <03-27-14/1542:18> »
I'm not familiar with the "Missions" term, but I suppose it's those big con gatherings?

Rating 25 explosives makes sense, I set the same max rating for explosives (12) as for everything else. They were also not allowed to purchase anything forbidden outside of Fake SiNs and fake licenses.

But the bow is a weapon, and should follow those guidelines for regular tabletop play? It doesn't sound like the OP is looking for further restrictions :)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <03-27-14/1636:30> »
It's not really a big impact to begin with, so a GM can easily handwave it as irrelevant. Even a smartgun-Bow costs less than two grand, so who cares really.

As for Missions, those are played at the con gatherings, yes, but Missions is more than just cons.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

MortimerBane

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-10-14/2032:38> »
To answer both original questions...

I assume the first question is asking if you can use what we in the deer hunting biz call a "blind bow", that is to say a bow that is shorter in overall height by making the limbs more parallel to each other.  The answer would be .... sure.  The thing is this... a blind bow has an overall height of 30" to 32".  A normal compound bow has a height of 32" to 34".  It's barely enough to make a difference in the real world honestly, and IMHO there would be no difference at all in game stats.  As far as telescoping arrows, I would say no.  This is coming from someone who had been hunting with a bow for more than 30 years now.  The shaft of an arrow is all about rigidity.  How rigid an arrow is affects everything about the flight of that arrow, i.e. accuracy, flight length etc..  The arrows are also very light, these days.  A telescoping arrow would be massively heavier due to all the overlaps in metal/carbon, and those overlaps would disallow the arrow to bend normally.  Remember that arrows must be able to bend and twist as the fly.  An arrow that doesn't bend wont fly very far and would be terribly inaccurate as every little change in wind would cause the arrow to veer off.

Anyway, that's my 2 nuyen.