NEWS

[5E]The Archemist!

• 12 Replies

Tenlaar

• Omae
« on: <03-04-14/1143:57> »
Had this idea in my head and decided to go ahead and make it to have for later use.

Priorities: B-C-A-D-E
Troll Mystic Adept

Bod: 7
Agi: 4
Rea: 5
Str: 5
Wil: 6
Log: 4
Int: 3
Cha: 2
Mag: 5
Edg: 1
Essence: 5.6

Skills:
Archery- 6
Alchemy- 6
Counterspelling- 5
Artisan- 4
First Aid- 3
Sneaking- 3
Gymnastics- 3
Clubs- 2

Preparations:
Lightning Bolt
Knockout
Heal
Increase Reflexes
Mass Agony
Chaotic World
Silence
Ice Sheet
Levitate
Poltergeist

Adept Powers:
Rapid Healing [4]
Improved Attribute Agility [1]
Improved Attribute Reaction [1]
Improved Attribute Body [2]

Negative Qualities:
Bad Luck
Simsense Vertigo
Gremlins 2

Positive Qualities:
Quick Healer
Mentor Spirit [Fire-Bringer type] (+2 all alchemy, +4 manip preps)

Knowledge Skills:
Metalworking/Blacksmithing (Arrows)(Professional) 4
Aerodynamics (Arrows)(Professional) 4
Talismongers (Professional) 4

Symbiotes 2 (0.4 essence)

12 karma left, some goes to extra nuyen and a few carried over.

This guy is basically a 2075 mixture of Robin Hood and Hawkeye. The goal was to specifically not make a ridiculously munchkin'd troll adept archer, but to make one that would be a good archer with a metric ton of versatility. The whole character depends on the GM allowing him to use his artisan and knowledge skills to make grapple arrows - blunt arrows with a mild adhesive-coated button on the tip that, when pressed on striking something, triggers the clamps on the end to lock in.  They would do no damage, but allow allow him to have arrows that latch on to a wall or person without damaging the arrow - thus allowing him to use the arrows as alchemy preparations.

The price I would offer to the GM for this is that he can only make arrows with a rating equal to his knowledge (arrow) skills+ artisan skill divided by three.  He starts off as (6+6+4)/3= R5 arrows.  When he invests enough to take artisan to 8 and both knowledge to 6, he can make (8+8+8)/3=R8 arrows, up to R10 at a combined 30 skill.  He can also use his metalworking ability as a source of extra income during downtime, selling things to talismongers.

He only starts off with 13 dice for alchemy (15 on manipulation preps) and 10 drain resist dice, but a whopping 19 stun/20 physical recovery dice.  His first big sinks will be 3 ranks of cerebral booster (he'll stay there at 5 essence), initiations, Logic 5, and force 6 centering/alchemy foci.  At that point he will have 19(21 on manip) alchemy dice and 20 + initiation rank drain resist dice to go along with his 19/20 recovery dice.  First initiation will get centering, all after that will get PPs to continue boosting stats with.  He will still have a lot of room to grow- magic to start making really high Force arrow preps, body for more drain recovery, strength/agi to boost archery, lots of skills to boost.
« Last Edit: <03-04-14/1224:55> by Tenlaar »
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <03-04-14/1230:16> »
Why can't you use arrowheads as preparations right now?  Just make them with a contact trigger, and boom.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Triskavanski

« Reply #2 on: <03-04-14/1310:04> »
Why can't you use arrowheads as preparations right now?  Just make them with a contact trigger, and boom.

Holy heck, that is the most wonderful of ideas!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-04-14/1312:38> »
IIRC, there was some debate on these forums about the application of arrows as preparations, but it ended up coming down as a table decision.  Personally, I think it's one of the best uses for Alchemy so I wouldn't want to see it nixed just because I've never seen it done.  Plus, it gives a nice bit of punch for low-tech options.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-04-14/2207:26> »
I'd suggest you trim 2 skill points from somewhere, specialize in bows and specialize in a trigger method.

I love the idea, its a sweet character concept.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #5 on: <03-04-14/2218:59> »
Agree with Shinobi. You can already make Heal preparations, so First Aid might be a bit redundant. You can cut out two points from that and pick up an R6 Medkit to boost your ability.

Since you already took the cyber dive, you might as well pick up a smartlink and get a smartgun-enabled bow as well. The rules mention that projectile weapons may have them (assuming internal since bows have no mounts).
« Last Edit: <03-04-14/2220:41> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <03-04-14/2239:06> »
I'm curious about the bioware, Symbiotes 2, gets you +2 dice to heal.  But magic 6, and 5 karma would let you take 2 more levels of the rapid healing adept power.  So I'm not sure there was much gain. 

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-05-14/0940:59> »
The reason I took symbiotes is that I already knew I wanted to get the rank 3 cerebral boosters for the 3 drain resist dice, which left him at 5.4 essence.  So the thing that seemed to best help my idea - high Force alchemy arrows, high drain recovery - was to fill in that last .4 essence with a couple more recovery dice.

I came up with the grapple arrow idea for two reasons.  One being the previously mentioned debate.  I do feel like an arrowhead would need to be marked or etched with a pattern to be a lynchpin, and punching through heavy armor (or a wall) would have enough chance of messing that pattern up to make it inoperable.  The second reason was the one attack rule.  It just seems like cheese to me to be able to do a normal damage arrow followed by an attack spell.  This way I have arrows that can be used as anchors for spells, and can stick to any surface (even stuff like a solid steer door) long enough to trigger it.

As far as skills, I think I will pull the point for a bow specialization from archery itself, and one point from first aid for command preps.  I do want to have some first aid skill because with so many boosts to healing dice having a decent first aid + heal prep should become damn near a guaranteed full heal.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <03-05-14/1307:49> »
On a purely numbers level don't pull it from archery.  Raising  the skill from 5 to 6 costs 12 karma, raising your clubs from 1 to 2 costs 4.  And while I get the eventual logic boost a sustaining focus can do the same thing for cheaper though you'd have to pick up rudimentary spell casting skills. Deactivate the focus when you are knocking out preparations. My current mage has a sustaining focus 3 to boost his willpower from 3 to 6, it owrks out well.

Also I would look into taking a preparation for increase attribute, agility. They are a simple action to activate and its a simple action to fire a bow.  You'd be off rotation in a load/fire routine by one simple action but you probably are skulking around in combat situations with an arrow knocked.

Tenlaar

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <03-05-14/1507:24> »
Good call on the skills, I actually have enough karma spared to take clubs back up to 2 and still get an extra 16,000 nuyen on gear.

I know that I could get further boosts with some spellcasting and foci but this guy just doesn't do it.  It's a self imposed limitation to force myself to make the best use of alchemy in offensive situations I can imagine, a required resourcefulness.  He's an alchemist first, an archer second, and a blacksmith third.  This is what I imagine his loadout being like on a heavy combat mission once he has gotten his first milestones I listed before:

19(21 command, 21 manip, 23 manip command) alchemy dice
21 drain resist dice(first initiation)
21/22 stun/physical recovery dice
11 stun boxes, 12 physical boxes
Spellcasting test: Force + Potency, which will generally be at least 3 or 4

4 Knockout arrows - Force 10 touch, 5 drain
2 Agony arrows - Force 8 touch, 5 drain
2 Lightning Bolt arrows - Force 8 touch, 6 drain
1 Mass Agony arrow - Force 7 touch, 6 drain
1 Chaotic World arrow - Force 5 touch, 6 drain
2 Silence arrows- Force 6 command, 7 drain

3 Heal preps - Force 6 command, 4 drain
2 Levitate preps- Force 3 command, 3 drain
2 Increase Reflexes preps - Force 4 command, 6 drain

That's just over 2 hours to create (128 minutes).  I'm assuming that the Force 3, 4, and most of the 5's will be done with no drain.  Two hours to rest and I should be good to go. 
Speech
Thought
Matrix/comm
Astral

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <03-05-14/1518:35> »
I like it.  But hey, just for funsies you could make a fireball arrow as well.  And some nifty arrows with things like Light and Shadow.

Emperors Grace

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <03-05-14/1622:45> »
Love this idea. 

I had an archer (non magical) concept in 2nd briefly.

Not a troll fan, but might steal some idea to see if it works with other metahumans.

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <03-05-14/2135:43> »
I like any character with artist...but, this is just way cool. I may look into this for myself sometime. Looks like it would be a blast to play.