NEWS

UGE and Goblinization (?)

• 33 Replies

IsoJII

• Newb
« on: <02-21-14/1350:15> »
Dinosaur coming online. Have not played properly since early 90's. Going to be a part of 4th ed group soon. Searched the site and could not find a post about this, so here it goes.

UGE most likely still happens, right?
and the second more important q for me/my char is this.
Do humans still goblinaize into orcs and trolls? Has it started happening more frequently because of metavariants? At what age people usually goblinaize?? How long does it take??

Guess it was more than one important q. Sorry for my english. Sorry if this is in the wrong area and hope to see you guys in the shadows...
IsoJII/Dinosaur
Finland

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-14/1410:02> »
Iirc, UGE is very rare nowadays, people tend to be just born that way, or when they're of mixed 'heritage' to turn as teens?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-14/1444:03> »
I was under the impression that Goblinization was a result of all the people who were already Orks and Trolls finally expressing it once the mana levels got high enough, causing them all to change. It's not like random people suddenly became metahumans, it was just the people who already were metahumans and didn't know it. I don't think it happens anymore, since everyone who was an Ork or Troll is already expressing it. You're just born that way now.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #3 on: <02-21-14/1627:58> »
SRM 04-07, DA's relatively recently goblinized.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

IsoJII

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-21-14/1642:20> »
So it is possible and more so on mixed parents. Teens/late teens more likely. What would be the latest possible age in your opinion? 20-25??

And what about the time that it takes to change?? In one of the novel they were talking about a japanese chick that goblinized in to a troll. It took about two weeks and she had to be hospitalized.

God I hate it when little things like these delay the char creation, but....
« Last Edit: <02-21-14/1648:35> by IsoJII »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #5 on: <02-21-14/1738:46> »
i suspect that the time it takes to goblinize would vary based on how extreme the goblinization process is for the person involved.  Two weeks seems like an appropriate time for the bones to break and extend, muscle mass to develop very rapidly, calcium deposits to harden into dermal plates, etc.  To go from a human to an elf would probably take a day, maybe two.  Human to dwarf might be as extreme as human to troll, given the tremendous amount of bone damage that needs to be done.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-21-14/1823:57> »
Humans never turned into elves or dwarves.  They were just born that way.  Goblinization only applies to orks and trolls. 

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <02-21-14/1848:29> »
Weird - I thought I remembered reading that Elves and Dwarves were part of the first wave of UGE (Unexplained Genetic Expression), and that Orcs and Trolls came along later in a separate UGE wave (goblinization).

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

IsoJII

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <02-21-14/1855:12> »
UGE is were babies are born as elves or dwarves.
Goblinization is where they turn in to orcs and trolls...

But you are right first came UGE and then the goblinization....

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #9 on: <02-21-14/2014:30> »
So it is possible and more so on mixed parents. Teens/late teens more likely. What would be the latest possible age in your opinion? 20-25??

And what about the time that it takes to change?? In one of the novel they were talking about a japanese chick that goblinized in to a troll. It took about two weeks and she had to be hospitalized.

God I hate it when little things like these delay the char creation, but....

20 to 25 is very old for goblinization.  Most Orks don't live to see their 40's.  I'd likely place it at the very beginning of puberty.  The 4th edition book states "When sapiens are born to ork mothers, they will express as robustus at puberty roughly 95% of the time."
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

jim1701

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-21-14/2123:36> »
Weird - I thought I remembered reading that Elves and Dwarves were part of the first wave of UGE (Unexplained Genetic Expression), and that Orcs and Trolls came along later in a separate UGE wave (goblinization).

IIRC Dwarves and Elves showed up first but they were born that way of human mothers.  They did not transform.  There was speculation Adult Elves just showed up out of the blue shortly after the Awakening fueling conspiracy theories that they had always been around hiding out in plain sight but I don't think that was ever officially confirmed (in universe.)

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <02-22-14/0054:20> »
Yes, the babies were born of human mothers.  I no longer have my 2nd edition book, so this is from the 4th edition book:

As a prelude of things to come, all around the world a percentage of children were suddenly born “deformed.” Many people called these babies mutants; others called them elves and dwarfs, for that was exactly what they resembled.  e scientists, however, called the phenomenon Unexplained Genetic Expression (UGE).  Though we have better ideas these days about what may have triggered it (magic, of course), we’re not much closer to an in-depth explanation than we were before. Now all you elves and dwarfs out there know where you came from. We’re just as mystified as you are.

So you are correct in saying that humans don't morph into elves or dwarves.

Lickintoad

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <02-22-14/0309:00> »
IIRC Dwarves and Elves showed up first but they were born that way of human mothers.  They did not transform.  There was speculation Adult Elves just showed up out of the blue shortly after the Awakening fueling conspiracy theories that they had always been around hiding out in plain sight but I don't think that was ever officially confirmed (in universe.)
The Shadowrun Returns e-book included a story about James Teletsrian III as a kid in 2009.  He was a "spike baby," and his mother thought he was the spawn of Satan, because of his pointed ears and angular facial features.  James II actually went and fathered another family to get away from him and his mother.  So, yeah.  Dwarves and elves were just born that way, hence "Genetic Expression."  It was a pretty great story.  Even had a cameo from Dodger.

I would like to know if any of the immortal elves have actually confirmed their immortal status in the universe by outright talking about their status.  Has Frosty ever let it slip?

Insaniac99

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-22-14/0319:08> »

There are Spike elves (I think that is the term) Elves that were born during a high point of mana during the 5th world.  Dodger of the books is one of them IIRC --- as are at least some of the Telestrians

The Shadowrun Returns e-book included a story about James Teletsrian III as a kid in 2009.  He was a "spike baby," and his mother thought he was the spawn of Satan, because of his pointed ears and angular facial features.  James II actually went and fathered another family to get away from him and his mother.  So, yeah.  Dwarves and elves were just born that way, hence "Genetic Expression."  It was a pretty great story.  Even had a cameo from Dodger.

I would like to know if any of the immortal elves have actually confirmed their immortal status in the universe by outright talking about their status.  Has Frosty ever let it slip?
Dodger was born in the late 1900s IIRC, Walter Urdli is an imortal elf who both has some POV thoughts and other elves confirming his status.
Check out my all purpose Shadowrun Die roller and Probability generator: http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=13241.0

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <02-22-14/0443:48> »
iirc ania dupery is the main car at" woreld without end" so is harly and they talk abaut the imortalety
« Last Edit: <02-22-14/1425:55> by redwolf »
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!