NEWS

SR5 Technomancer Help

• 8 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <02-16-14/1350:38> »
One of my players wants to play a Technomancer for my 5th edition Street/Mid Level Campaign. I don't want to discourage player to play Technomancer, but it seems like they get shorted more then any other class in SR5. My campaign is going to be a little more combat oriented than usual, and Technomancer seems like the hardest class to make work at more than just their primary function, and forget being Troll or Ork if you want to play one, especially with Technomancers being so dependent on their mental stats for Matrix Limits.

Any advice for player that wants to play one? Can you make Troll or Ork Technomancer work? Maybe low Charisma and using Matrix Spike Complex form for attacks?.. I'm pretty sure player is going to chose to be Human, unless there is way to make playing Meta viable.

Most of the systems that characters are going to be breaking into are not going to be higher then Rating 5 or 6 for a while. Most are going to be 3 or 4.
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Voltron64

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-14/1453:03> »
You could make the technomancer an elf or a dwarf perhaps?

Plus maybe you could have their expertise be in bricking enemy equipment?

Triskavanski

« Reply #2 on: <02-16-14/1534:35> »
First thing is, the character needs to decide what sort of direction he wants to go with his technomancer, as there is a lot of directions you could go.

For campaigns that are more real world combat, He could use machine sprites to augment his skills with devices like smartguns and the like. If going this route, I very much suggest a high edge to push the limit when registering the machine sprites.

He could use this to also assist his allies and such in combat

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-14/1920:16> »
Sprites are probably the area I has least knowledge of. No one in 4e ever played Technomancer.. 5e, Decking seems a bit easier in some respects. They still need to fix some rules I think though and I'm going to assume that when player wants to submerge, that I'll be using the magician Karma costs. Can I get few examples of what Machine sprites can do (With numbers) if you don't mind.. Or any other suggestions.

Thanks
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-16-14/1936:09> »
What character creation rules are you using?  If using the standard rules its doable, if you are suing something like street scum rules it will be hard.

Voltron64

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <02-16-14/2007:05> »
What character creation rules are you using?  If using the standard rules its doable, if you are suing something like street scum rules it will be hard.

Custom one. Regular creation rules but nothing higher than C for resources.

Street-level opponents and challenges though.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-16-14/2046:50> »
Quick sample character who is human though. Decent hacker, and should be able to handle himself against street level opposition.  As he gets money picking up a SMG would help.  and if they start making big bucks taking the hit in resonance for +3 logic is probably worth it, so cerebral booster. He should be able to fairly routinely compile force 6 spirtes, and going big with a force 8 probably can be done though it will likely hurt.
[spoiler]
Body  Agil  reac  Strength  Char  Logic  Intuition  Will  Essence   Edge   Resonance
3           4       2       2               4       6               6         5         6               2              6

Skills
Cybercombat  1
Electronic warfare 2
Hacking  6 
computer 1
Hardware 2
software  6
Compiling  6
Registering 6
Decompiling 2
Firearms 5
forgery 1
Locksmith 1
Perception 2

Codeslinger Hack on the fly
5 complex forms
2,000 nuyen

Complex forms
Cleaner
Diffusion of matrix attribute firewall
Pulse Storm
Resonance Spike
Resonacce veil
Static Bomb

Gear Arnor Jacket
Fake Sin rating 2
Squatter lifestyle
Meta link comlink
Glasses Rating 3 image link, flare compensation, thermographic
Ruger Super Warhawk
10 rounds regular ammo
[/spoiler]

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-16-14/2144:04> »
Quick sample character who is human though. Decent hacker, and should be able to handle himself against street level opposition.  As he gets money picking up a SMG would help.  and if they start making big bucks taking the hit in resonance for +3 logic is probably worth it, so cerebral booster. He should be able to fairly routinely compile force 6 spirtes, and going big with a force 8 probably can be done though it will likely hurt.
[spoiler]
Body  Agil  reac  Strength  Char  Logic  Intuition  Will  Essence   Edge   Resonance
3           4       2       2               4       6               6         5         6               2              6

Skills
Cybercombat  1
Electronic warfare 2
Hacking  6 
computer 1
Hardware 2
software  6
Compiling  6
Registering 6
Decompiling 2
Firearms 5
forgery 1
Locksmith 1
Perception 2

Codeslinger Hack on the fly
5 complex forms
2,000 nuyen

Complex forms
Cleaner
Diffusion of matrix attribute firewall
Pulse Storm
Resonance Spike
Resonacce veil
Static Bomb

Gear Arnor Jacket
Fake Sin rating 2
Squatter lifestyle
Meta link comlink
Glasses Rating 3 image link, flare compensation, thermographic
Ruger Super Warhawk
10 rounds regular ammo
[/spoiler]

You could do Exceptional Resonance right.? If I take exceptional anything, I usually take max on Attribute..

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-16-14/2213:53> »
Normally I'd max the attribute, I think having a 6 limit in sleaze is important but I don't want to drop below 6 in logic. for a character like this he'd probably never boost wither attribute from this point on.  Similarly if he took 7 logic for example he'd still probably never boost intuition to 6.  but yes you can take it in resonance as well.

Register