NEWS

[OOC] Chicago Depths: Open Recruitment and Game info thread

• 113 Replies

3_14159

« Reply #105 on: <08-09-12/0552:00> »
I am, at the moment, looking for a shadow run game, and just stumbled upon this thread, being very interested in joining if you in fact should need more players; especially seeing as you lack a rigger.
I can outline a basic character idea for now, but seeing as I'd have to refamiliarize myself with the source books, I'd probably need at least a bit time to actually create my character.
Just shortly to myself, as a player:
I never played shadowrun (in any edition), and just recently (about 2 to 3 months ago) started playing P&P RPGs as play by post. I'm, at the moment, playing in both a Traveller and a Pathfinder game. I'm able to post about one to two times per day, usually one shorter post, plus a longer one, but that's varying, too. In case you'd like to check my writing style, you can maybe look at the campaign (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/freetrader-maverick, the game running in a forum thread, and going by 'Kreios').
My basic idea would be playing a technomancer rigger, basically a kind of 'mechanical genius'.
He'd (haven't got a good name yet, so let's go with Buteo for now) have grown up in a smaller, really unnoticeable town, and his childhood was nearly the same, except for his love for drones, machines and other electronical gadgets. And, beginning with his sixteenth birthday, after being logged into the matrix with his own, first, careful modifications, and experiencing the crash first hand, he discovered that they do love him back. It basically was the trigger to set him straight, get him to a very, very good school in engineering and electronics, and ace several courses there. Well, it's easy to find a bug in a computer if said computer can tell you where the bug lies, isn't it? But his love remained with drones, custom-built, custom modified, or even just plain out of the box ones. And from there, his downfall came. In university, as he now was, 2071, he did a short test flight with a newly built drone of his, built for controlling, observing and maintaining large sensor nets (for example for monitoring polution), he picked up a strange feed from a AAA company compound, and in his youthful optimism decided to take a better look.
Two weeks later he was on the run, his parents dead, most of their assets taken, and met as a last-ditch-hope with a smuggler who promised him to take him to safety - for a substancial amount of money. Well, he was definitely right - he was safe from the corp here. But he wasn't safe in Chicago. Noone was.

Can you, in case you're interested, tell me which sourcebooks you'd like me to use, and what build options there are? Plus, of course, if you'd like modifying the story (or character) in any aspect.

Scarecrow71

• Omae
« Reply #106 on: <08-09-12/0818:20> »

You can tie as many powers as you like to a single geas, but if you break that one geas, then you lose all of those powers. 

The biggest role that's missing is the rigger/hacker role.
I've got a hacker character ready if you're looking for another player.  Any chance I could potentially join the game?
I could wile away the hours conversing with the flowers
Consulting with the rain
And my head I'd be scratching while my thoughts were busy hatching
If I only had a brain...

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of Darkness

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #107 on: <08-09-12/0913:05> »
The biggest role that's missing is the rigger/hacker role.

Blame Canada! ... err blame me!
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

DiscoDwarf

• Newb
« Reply #108 on: <08-10-12/0453:36> »
(Will finish later... almost 5am... stupid lines of code...)
(2nd edit: removing the sheet part since I'm repeating it below)
Blame Canada all you want, I don't want to be part of this country anymore.

Anyhow, because I was wondering how it'd turn out, I made a Hacker Adept. Turns out that with a few Improved Ability powers, etc. it turns out fairly ok, especially considering I probably won't be running into a Slamm-O! or FastJack-level hacker/spider out in CZ. To make matters interesting (and because I didn't feel like rewriting the whole thing), I'm linking him back with my first proposed background, albeit that this character will be Gerhardt's and Freya's child, and Gerhardt won't have survived the Banshee's attack on Freya. I rounded him up into a semi-Face too, with some Kinesics and Empathy software to back it all up.

(Yet another) question for the GM
Speaking of backing up skills with gears and such, what's the rule on dice/rating modifiers? I noticed that in the Rolls and discussions thread, the example roll given stacks a lot of things for the Perception roll. I was under the impression that a single roll could not receive more than a certain amount of non-circumstancial bonuses. The Chummer character generator seems to cap my bonuses at half the base skill, so I want to know exactly if this rule is indeed in effect or if it has been ignored/removed for this game. Most of my equipment and powers give me bonus past what I can actually make use of, mainly because I intend to later upgrade those skills and expect that it will be easier to do this than find new gear, and also because most of Loki's gear belonged to his father who was far more experienced than he was.

This character was built with Chummer Chargen, with just about every book available since it was mentionned at the beginning of this thread that all of them were allowed. Everything respects the availability 8 limit (with the sole exception of the Chemical Protection armor mod, as I asked earlier).
« Last Edit: <08-13-12/0424:55> by DiscoDwarf »

Sentinemodo

• Prime Runner
  • Prepare for the worst - surprises will be pleasant
« Reply #109 on: <08-10-12/0521:12> »
especially considering I probably won't be running into a Slamm-O! or FastJack-level hacker/spider out in CZ.

LOL, I was thinking along this lines, ... guess why the rigger/hacker is the most missing part of the team now
Sorry for a small delay ;)

Denver Missions
concluded 01 02 03 04 05 10 09 11
running 13
runners: Caretaker Jerry

DiscoDwarf

• Newb
« Reply #110 on: <08-10-12/1438:50> »
Here's an unexpected problem: the full sheet is too long and exceeds the 20 000 characters limit on single posts.

I'll try to correct this. but I have to get moving so it won't be until later tonight.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #111 on: <08-11-12/0647:34> »
(Yet another) question for the GM
Speaking of backing up skills with gears and such, what's the rule on dice/rating modifiers? I noticed that in the Rolls and discussions thread, the example roll given stacks a lot of things for the Perception roll. I was under the impression that a single roll could not receive more than a certain amount of non-circumstancial bonuses. The Chummer character generator seems to cap my bonuses at half the base skill, so I want to know exactly if this rule is indeed in effect or if it has been ignored/removed for this game. Most of my equipment and powers give me bonus past what I can actually make use of, mainly because I intend to later upgrade those skills and expect that it will be easier to do this than find new gear, and also because most of Loki's gear belonged to his father who was far more experienced than he was.

It's the difference between a skill boost and a dicepool modifier.

If something is a skill boost, it can only up to1/2 the skills unaugmented level.  So, that's improved ability or reflex recorders.

General DP bonuses, which includes everything but improved ability and reflex recorders are uncapped save for a few things, such as the situational bonuses on social rolls. 

So, the difference between the two is that something which raises your skill has a cap, but it gives you a higher effective skill, increasing things like the maximum bonus you can receive from a teamwork test.

The relevant text from SR4a p68
 The maximum natural rating available for a skill is 6, or 7 with
the Aptitude quality (p. 90). Some implants and magic, as noted in
their descriptions, may increase the actual skill, creating a modified skill
rating, whereas others may simply provide bonus dice to the test (and
do not affect the base rating at all). Note that the modified rating is
used when calculating costs to improve the skill.  The maximum modi-
fied rating allowed is 1.5 times the natural rating (making 9 the maxi-
mum achievable, or 10 with the Aptitude quality).

DiscoDwarf

• Newb
« Reply #112 on: <08-13-12/0202:35> »
Well, since I can't get below the 20 000 character limit on post (considering it includes the BB code, it's no wonder), I'll have to cut the background and sheet in two.

Name:Aelfwine Ströbel
Alias:Loki (everyday), Blackdogg64 online
Race:Human
Sex:Male
Nationality:AGS
Lifestyle:"The Farmhouse" Advanced lifestyle, worth 7 LP, 1100¥, +10% for Roommate, total 1210¥, 1 month paid only
 Comforts:Low (decent furniture, a real bed, etc) [2 LP]
 Entertainment:Squatter (if it's not on my commlink, it's probably not worth it) [1 LP]
 Necessities:Low (Pseudo-running water and power, thanks to solar stills and green plan energy) [2 LP]
 Neighbourhood:Squatter (as good as a neighborhood gets in this hell hole) [1 LP]
 Security:(Low Mom may have lost half her Magic, but Force 3 spirits are decent household guards still) [2 LP]
 Lifestyle Qualities:
   Animal Lover (2) [3 LP]Not quite LP farms, but mom's just getting started.
   Homegrown Farming [1 LP]Mom Cleaned some earth ("not as bad as the Black Tide's run off" she said) and planted it.
   Perfect Roommate [2 LP]Yes, my mom makes the dishes and my laundry still... and she's a mage too.
   Crash Pad [-1 LP]There's always a bunch of people home, trying to get mom to cast this spell or that.
   Green Plan [-1 LP]Solar panels and wind mills, not enough for the whole community though.
   Living by Committee [-1 LP]Strength in number, but we have to play by their rules.
   Trigger-happy Landlord [-1 LP]The committee doesn't like Awakened too much.
   DescriptionAt the edge of the Northside, "the farm" is a small enclaves of damaged buildings surrounding what was once a small park, which has been divided in fenced lots where the paying residents can put livestock or try to eke out a garden. Freya's back-to-nature upbringing got a kick out of the place, and she's currently spending most of her time trying to make her animals reproduce and her garden grow, leaving Loki stuck with doing jobs to pay the bills. Decision-making is done via weekly popular assembly, and so far a slim majority considers the two new Awakened's service worth the risk of attracting dangerous spirits or FAB III clouds.
Karma Spent:0
Physical Description:Loki is… odd. A mild Changeling, his hair, beard and body hair are slightly thicker, with black guard hair (like those of wolves) sticking out of the season-changing "fur" (picture something somewhat akin to Wolverine's facial hair in the X-Men movies). He is otherwise relatively unremarkable, wearing an army-style camouflage jumpsuit and helmet that looks a little big for him. Despite the backpack and combat vest, he looks more like a geek costuming as a military rather than the real deal, even with an assault rifle in his hands. The fact taht he wears sports glasses under the helmet's visor clearly doesn't help, yet you can can't help but find him endearing, in that "look at the kid playing soldier" kind of way, except that he's way past action figures.
Personality/background
“Loki” was born and raised in the northern AGS. Early on, he expressed an interest in gaming and computers in general, much to the disappointment of his awakened mother. In 2061, however, with the passing of Haley’s Comet, things suddenly took a new turn for the child: a mild changeling, his body suddenly sprouted thick, wolf-like hair on his face and limbs. He also developed the uncanny ability of sensing electric activity, even as faint as a metahuman body, in his immediate vicinity. Fearing public opinion of what might have been a new goblinization, his mother secreted him away in the secluded lodge of her Àsatru circle. There, along with the gode Gunnar and the others of the circle, they conferred on the matter of the child, which was rather distraught over not having a deck at hand. As the SURGE wave smoothed over and no widespread panic seemed likely should the “wolf-child” be brought forth, Loki’s mother returned home with him. He was nine years old.

As Haley’s Comet left, Loki began developing additional talents. His senses sharpened, particularly his scent; his reflexes waxed strong, to the point of competing with his friends in gaming despite having no datajack with which to connect to his deck. Soon enough, he was brought forth before the whole circle again, this time as an awakened. Gerhardt, the only other adept, offered to train the child. The results were mixed: though the child had uncanny reflexes and senses, he demonstrated little interest in combat or survival training. Rather, he turned his mind into using computers in a time when trodes and implant-free simsense did not exist, using controls and screens with as much speed as a wired decker could. The whole circle was not exactly pleased, but the child was willful and refused to care about their expectations. Still, Gerhardt and his wife-to-be Freya supported the child, claiming that magic worked in fickle ways, and that they were no hermetic mages to try and constrain the child’s natural leanings.

Three years later, Crash 2.0 swept the world. Gerhardt’s parents’ minds were lost in the Matrix while Loki’s mother, returning by plane from an Àsatru congregation in the Scandinavian Union was lost at sea when the Boeing blindly crashed into another airliner. Winternight's apocalyptic gambit damaged the public's view of Ásatru believers at large, and the circle collapsed when old man Gunnar was murdered by grief-stricken haters seeking to lash out at someone for the death of their loved ones, the loss of their identity, or just plain bigotry (frankly, they didn't take the time to explain as they stoned the old mage with bricks and pieces of the pavement). It’s around this time that « Loki » took this name for himself, hoping to become what Winternight feared, an agent in the Matrix that would oppose them. It was wishful thinking from a youth, but he clings to this name to this day.

Freya and Gerhardt took the child under their wing and hid at the edge of  Berlin's shadows, taking on a life of shadowrunning. Their talents made them valuable, and the warrior adept's expertise at tackling paranormal threats meant a steady stream of jobs, with Loki joining them as a hacker once the technology was once again available. Things went well for a year or two, but as it turns out, some of the paras that Gerhardt was paid to hunt happened to feel the same way about losing their loved ones as they did. In an act of retaliation, a banshee assaulted Freya, draining her of some of her essence. The Infected's sadistic urge to draw out the act saved the girl's life as a Guardian spirit quickly fetched her lover, then assisted in dispatching the creature, but the damage was done, and Freya had lost half of her magical potential, while Gerhardt himself had taken a lethal blow that Freya’s diminished powers could not heal. Worse yet, a few calls and data searches from Loki uncovered that the Banshee was part of a larger organization of similar night creatures, and it would seem they had been marked to suffer for the rest of his life rather than have a quick death.

The only wise move was to move out. Burning out most of their savings and all of their local contacts and favors, they took the bare minimum and shipped out to Chicago, figuring the possibly lingering FAB III bacteria would deter any pursuer. Freya and Loki have been eking out a life of survival ever since, though she is paying ever less attention to her foster child, losing herself in her pet projects instead. It’s been over a year now, money’s running tight, and someone has to do something. Loki used his last savings to have Gerhardt’s old equipment refit for him from Boris Kalachnikov, then contacted Wild Mike, hoping that his talents could be worth a bit of cred.

Attributes

BodyAgilityReactionStrength
232 (4)2
CharismaIntuitionLogicWillpower
EdgeMagicEssenceInitiative / IPsMatrix Initiative / IPs
2465 (7), 3 IPs12, 3 IPs

Positive Qualities
Adept [5 BP]
Changeling (Class I SURGE) [5 BP]
Electrosense [10 BP Metagenic, can sense electromagnetic fields]
Walking the Ways [10 BP, Way of the Adept Errata, may apply Way Bonus to any (Magic/2) powers but gain no metamagic bonus]
Negative Qualities
Allergy (Uncommon [Silver], Moderate) [10 BP]
Critter Spook [5 BP Metagenic](My mom won't let me help with the farm anymore...)
Dependent (Inconvenience) [10 BP](Have to pay for my mom's rent and eccentricities AND run errands)
Unusual Hair [5 BP Metagenic]
Geas (Talisman geas: A hand-made real leatherpouch containing futhark runesscribed unto tiles made from the heartwood of an oak(both leather and wood must be reagents)

Active Skills
Cracking Skill Group4
Cybercombat4 (+2 from Improved Ability)
Electronic Warfare4
Hacking4 (+2 from Improved Ability)
Electronics Skill Group4
Influence Skill Group3 (+3 from Empathy Software, +2 from Kinesics)
Automatics2 (Assault Riflespecialty)
Climbing1 (Assistedspecialty
Dodge2
Gunnery2 (Ballisticspecialty)
Infiltration1 (+2 from Color-changing armor mod)
Perception2 (+2 from Enhanced Perception, +3 for Visual and Audio, may detect electric activity, Observe in Detail as Free action)
Knowledge Skills(18 free points)
Matrix Phenomena3
Mythology3
Security Systems2
Magical Threats4
Gaming2 (Paranormal Crisisspecialty)
Language Skills
GermanN
English3

Adept Powers
PowerCostNotes
Improved Ability (Hacking) [2]0,5-
Improved Ability (Cybercombat) [2]0,5-
Improved Reflexes [2]1,25Reduced by 50% (Geas and Way bonus)
Improved Sense [Scent]0,25Can track by scent, duplicates Olfactory Booster
Kinesics [2]0,5Reduced by 50% (Geas and Way bonus)
Multi-tasking0,5Observe in Detail as Free action, +2 Free Actions outside combat
Enhanced Perception [2]0,50May not have more levels than INT
« Last Edit: <08-13-12/0428:03> by DiscoDwarf »

DiscoDwarf

• Newb
« Reply #113 on: <08-13-12/0205:57> »
Gear(160,000¥)
WeaponsModesDamageAPRC/ReachAmmoCost
Ares CrusaderSA/BF4P0540(c)4,025¥
AccessoriesModifications
Shock PadsGas Vent 2
Concealable HolsterHeavy Barrel
Int. SmartgunImp. Rang Finder
Pers. Grip
Reduced Wt.
(w/ vision mag)Skinlink
StockCamouflage Ghilie
Int. SmartgunImp. Range Finder
SlingPers. Grip
Foregrip
Reduced Wt.
Pers. Grip

ArmorB / ICost
Globetrotter Camo. Jumpsuit5/64,900¥
Armor Mods and Gear
YNT SoftweaveFire Resist 3Chem. Protection 3
Color ChangingSecTech Forearm G.SecTech Helmet
Helmet :Low LightHelmet :Cyber. Scanner 3Helmet :Camera [1]
Camera :Low LightCamera :Weapon Watcher 3

CommlinkOSResponseSignalSystemFirewallTotal Cost
Battle Buddy Basic      Novatech Navi55 (Satellite)5579,110¥
Accessories & Options
TrodesSim Module (hot) Armor Case [4]
AR Wristboard Chemical Seal Hardening [4]
Custom. Interface Gyroscopic Winch Satellite link
Firewall 5Response Enhancer [2]Environ. Resist.
System 5
Matrix Programs
Armor [4]Attack [4] [Bio. Filter [3]
Browse [5]Command [5] Data Bomb [3]
Decrypt [4]Defuse [4] Disarm [4]
ECCM [3]Edit [4] Encrypt (Ergo.) [5]
Exploit [4]Medic [4] Reality Filter (Ergo.) [5]
Scan [5]Sniffer [4] Spoof [4]
Stealth [4]Track [4] Analyze (Ergo.) [5]
Entertainment & ARE Software
VR Games x5 (Paranormal Crisis + expansions)
Sim Recording x20 [20  ea.](KKM series, Suki Red-Flower 1,2&3, some Chase : Errant Knight!)
Virtual Surrount Music x50 (Dark Angel, Shield Wall, Concrete Dreams, Wild Cards, early Maria Mercurial)
Wall Space (a collection of posters from the various bands he listens to)
Personality Software + Virtual Person (An overly sensuous "Brunhilde" Valkyrie reads messages and reports)
IDs, Licenses and misc.
Fake SIN [2](Aelfwine Ströbel) Fake License [2](Battle Buddy) Fake License [2](Ford LEBD drone)
Mapsoft [6](Chicago) Mapsoft [6](Chicago sewers)

GearCostLocationNotes & Plugins
Contact Lenses [2]175 ¥WornImage Link; Flare Compensation
Glasses [3]2,175¥WornSmartlink; Vision Enhancement [3]; RFID sensor
→ RFID : Camera(1,300¥)WornEmpathy Software [3]
Earbuds430¥WornAudio Enhancement [3]; Spatial Recognizer
Talisman100¥WornBelonged to father; neck pouch containing runes.
Respirator [6]150¥Worn-
Micro-transceiver [4]800¥Worn-
Rappelling Gloves70¥WornNeeded to use microwire; +2 STR to hold onto rope.
MOSLTOV750¥WornUltimate combat harness with clips and ammo pouches
Backpack250¥CarriedSmall backpack
Cats x2100¥HomeFreya’s
Pigs x2500¥HomeFreya’s, Emergency Bacon
Sheep x21,000¥HomeFreya’s
Trained watchdog400¥HomeFreya’s, hates Loki
Redtail Hawk500¥HomeFreya’s favorite pet
Solar Stills x3600¥HomeCan distill/purify 25 liters of water/day each
Snowshos175¥HomeWhen winter comes…
Commlink(82,710¥)MOSLTOVSingularity Battle Buddy Basic, low-end milspec
Handheld Sensor3,125¥MOSLTOVGeiger Counter; Olfactory [5]; Atmosphere [3]; always running
GPS200¥MOSLTOV-
Autopicker [6]1,200¥MOSLTOV-
Miniwelder250¥MOSLTOV-
Wire Clippers25¥MOSLTOV-
Grapple gun650¥MOSLTOVClipped to belt, 3x 100m microwire.
Clip :Ares Crusader x4340¥MOSLTOVRegular ammo (M. Pistol) x160
Clip :Ares Crusader x2650¥MOSLTOVStick-n-shock (M. Pistol) ammo x80
Clip :Ares Crusader x21,050¥MOSLTOVCapsule round (M. Pistol), KE IV x80
Clip :Sernopal vz/88V x4300¥MOSLTOVRegular ammo (A. Rifle) x140
Clip :Sernopal vz/88V x2570¥MOSLTOVStick-n-shock ammo (A. Rifle) x70
Clip :Sernopal vz/88V x2360¥MOSLTOVExplosive rounds (A. Rifle) x80
Wyrd Mantis Essence x31,800 ¥BackpackRepels insects and insect spirits when applied.
Snuff x1050¥Backpack+1 Reaction, Pain Tolerance 1, don’t tell mom
Guts x5500¥BackpackImmunity to fear; Auto-injector
Overdrive x5750 ¥Backpack+1 Reaction, +1 LOG skills; Auto-injector
Long Haul x5250 ¥BackpackStay awake for 4 days; Auto-injector
Psyche x51,000 ¥Backpack+1 INT +1 LOG, Auto-injector
Clip :AK-97 x8640 ¥BackpackRegular ammo (A. Rifle) x300; LEBD drone
Mesh tags400 ¥BackpackSignal 2
Tent75 ¥BackpackPoles-free inflatable tent (example)
Insulated netting250 ¥Backpack5m x 5m urban camo tarp, blocks thermo., radar and radiation scanners, -2 Signal
Sleeping bag75 ¥Backpack-
Water purification tablet x525¥BackpackPurifies 25 liters of water / bottle.
Survival kit100 ¥Backpack+2 to Survival tests
Rations x735 ¥BackpackMinimum energy requirement
Lockheed Optic-X7,200 ¥BackpackSmall drone, packed carefully when not in use!
Evo Orderly6,800 ¥BackpackMedium drone, folded away, takes most of the backpack!
Medkit [6]600 ¥Medical pouchStrapped to leg for easy access; example

Vehicles
Ford LEBD-1
HandlingAccelSpeedPilotBodyArmorSensorAvail.Cost
05/20803363(Signal 4)6R15,375¥
Modifications
Mechanical ArmWeapon MountImp. Takeoff/landing [2]
SunCellSmoke projectorAutosoft :Clearsight [3]
Autosoft :Covert Ops [3]Autosoft :Targeting [3]Autosoft :Defense [3]
Weapon Mount
AK-97SA/BF/FA 6P     AP :-1     RC :0     38(c)
Accessories
Flashlight (low)SmartgunImp. Range Finder

Lockheed Optic-X
05/20753202(Signal 4)68,700¥
Modifications
SunCellImp. Takeoff/landing [2]Autosoft :Clearsight [3]
Autosoft :Covert Ops [3]Autosoft :Maneuver [3]

Deluxe edition Captain Nova!(ie Bust-a-Move)
HandlingAccelSpeedPilot
BodyArmorSensorAvail.
Cost
03/10102103(Signal 3)09,050¥
Modifications
Walker ModeGecko Tips
Anti-theftImp. Sensor Array
Autosoft :Covert Ops [2]Autosoft :Maneuver [2]
Autosoft :Clearsight [2]Optical tap
Sensors
Camera [3]→Low-Light→Vision Enhancement [2]
Microphone [3]→Spatial Recognizer→Audio Enhancement [2]
UWB Radar [3]Motion Sensor

Evo Orderly
05/20403332(Signal 4)46,800¥
Modifications
SunCellGecko TipsEjection seat
Assembly Time Imp.Autosoft :Maneuver [3]

Contacts
ContactC/L
Freya, talismonger, foster mom1/4
Boris Kalachnikov, dwarf armsdealer3/1
Maya Talavera, ABC liaison2/2
Wild Mike3/3

Build Point totals:  350 = Attr. 160 + Skills 160 + Gear 32 + Contacts 13 + Positive Qualities 20 – Negative Qualities 35