NEWS

Shadowrun 5th Edition Errata Released

• 117 Replies

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #60 on: <02-18-14/0815:56> »
I've been busy with other things for a month or so and I'm behind the curve on the errata.  It appears that the recoil ruling essentially makes no sense, to be honest, but it is what it is.  Yes, it'll get houseruled, but yes, I also play in Missions, which is houserule-free. So my understanding is that there's still no way to jam a commlink and when your Stun Monitor is full, you're still conscious, correct?
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #61 on: <02-18-14/0822:41> »
As far as direct RAW is concerned, correct and correct, and the first Aaron claimed to be like that in the FAQ topic, while the second has been corrected in the German edition.

However, while the rules don't state you go unconscious, there is enough support in the rules that you still fall unconscious. There's several things stating they either do not prevent you from falling unconscious, or stating they do help against it. As such, it's clear you normally fall unconscious, and even in Missions I think the GMs should follow that clear intent.

Also, they haven't corrected the RCC stats yet, the German edition does have other ones (though I suspect they might have switched the 5/6 and the 6/5 ones.)
« Last Edit: <02-18-14/0829:06> by Michael Chandra »
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #62 on: <02-18-14/0841:43> »
As far as direct RAW is concerned, correct and correct, and the first Aaron claimed to be like that in the FAQ topic, while the second has been corrected in the German edition.

However, while the rules don't state you go unconscious, there is enough support in the rules that you still fall unconscious. There's several things stating they either do not prevent you from falling unconscious, or stating they do help against it. As such, it's clear you normally fall unconscious, and even in Missions I think the GMs should follow that clear intent.

Also, they haven't corrected the RCC stats yet, the German edition does have other ones (though I suspect they might have switched the 5/6 and the 6/5 ones.)

Oh, I'm not at all worried about Mission GMs--I assume they all have played previous editions.  I'm worried about the first-time player rules lawyer, "It doesn't say I fall unconscious..."  Maybe I've played too much open play under other systems  ;)  But thanks for the heads up!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #63 on: <02-18-14/0856:15> »
Did a quick read through the list of typo changes.
Where can i read about them?

MisterNix

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <02-18-14/1104:38> »
Resting example confirmed to be a limited test.
That submersion thing is really starting to approach the level of obnoxious joke...
I'm starting to suspect that it's not a typo anymore and is actually RAI.  I'm giving up on submerging, which is disappointing because I wanted a deep connection to the resonance to be part of my technomancer's evolving spirituality and personality.  But at 30-60-90 karma?  Sod that

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #65 on: <02-18-14/1113:57> »
I really doubt they could be that dumb. And if they are it becomes houserule #1 to me, behind recoil and wireless bonuses.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #66 on: <02-19-14/0816:45> »
Resting example confirmed to be a limited test.
That submersion thing is really starting to approach the level of obnoxious joke...
I'm starting to suspect that it's not a typo anymore and is actually RAI.  I'm giving up on submerging, which is disappointing because I wanted a deep connection to the resonance to be part of my technomancer's evolving spirituality and personality.  But at 30-60-90 karma?  Sod that

For resting, Aaron made it clear in the rule clarification topic that this is a limited test, and that when you do not have any more dice to rest, you need to rest before being able to rest again (and start a new extended limited test). (and yes, I did my best to show how ridiculous I think this rule is)
For submersion cost, I would bet a lot that the intended rule is 10 + (grade x 3) and not 10 x (grade x 3).
If they wanted the costs to be 30-60-90 they would simply have written grade x 30.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #67 on: <02-19-14/2329:32> »
So my understanding is that there's still no way to jam a commlink and when your Stun Monitor is full, you're still conscious, correct?

SR5 p.100:
Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the player how much Physical and Stun damage they can take before falling unconscious.
Seems clear that when you fill your monitor, you fall unconscious.

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #68 on: <02-20-14/1023:59> »
So my understanding is that there's still no way to jam a commlink and when your Stun Monitor is full, you're still conscious, correct?

SR5 p.100:
Every character has a Condition Monitor that tells the player how much Physical and Stun damage they can take before falling unconscious.
Wow, I searched and searched for any reference to that a few months ago and couldn't find it anywhere I thought it should be (searching the PDF, even). I eventually submitted it to the errata thread. Good on ya for finding it!
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #69 on: <02-20-14/1127:12> »
The quick start rules p 3 and to some extent p 10 also state that the Stun Damage Track in the Condition Monitor indicates when you fall unconscious.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <02-20-14/1627:14> »
If you have the PDF of the book and are looking for something, I always use the find function. On a Mac it's Command+F. I think it's Control+F on Windows, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

Linkdeath

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #71 on: <02-20-14/2248:49> »
Yep, I did a search (control-F in Windows) back when I did the search. But I only searched the core rule book.
Dance to the tension of a world on edge.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #72 on: <02-21-14/1611:37> »

A strict reading of that would be that you need to fill both your stun and physical monitors to fall unconscious.  If filling either monitor would do it, then the correct construction is either/or.

Obviously, no reasonable person thinks that's how it works--I've been playing since 1st edition and I am certainly comfortable knocking PCs out with full stun monitors, but I am always surprised how "creative" some people get in public play.

WellsIDidIt

• Omae
« Reply #73 on: <02-21-14/1810:58> »
Not really. If you read the sentence with no reference to the other rules, it would tell you that each character has a single condition monitor that contains physical and stun on it, and they fall unconscious when it's full.

That said, with context, we know that:
Player characters have two Condition Monitors; one tracks Physical damage, the other tracks Stun damage.

Since the earlier quote refers to a single track, we still know that only one has to be filled to fall unconscious. Strict reading of a single sentence does not override context. Rules should always be viewed as a whole.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #74 on: <02-22-14/0820:33> »
Not really. If you read the sentence with no reference to the other rules, it would tell you that each character has a single condition monitor that contains physical and stun on it, and they fall unconscious when it's full.

That said, with context, we know that:
Player characters have two Condition Monitors; one tracks Physical damage, the other tracks Stun damage.

Since the earlier quote refers to a single track, we still know that only one has to be filled to fall unconscious. Strict reading of a single sentence does not override context. Rules should always be viewed as a whole.

That's not accurate--the rules of grammar rarely, if ever, change by context.  By correctly using or, the writer makes the fact that you have two condition monitors clear and the rule applies to either of them.  By using and, the writer infers something of a cumulative nature; that is, both A + B must be true for the rule to take effect.