NEWS

[SR5] cyberlimb legality question?

• 34 Replies

FancyDerek

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <06-22-16/2203:20> »
This is old I know but here is my own two cents into the argument:

Since a person can also have digigrade legs installed we have the nail in the coffin of replacement theory because digigrade legs increase "the running speed multiplier... by 1 for each pair." (CF 87) which very clearly indicates that the leg is determining the AGI that speed is calculated off of.
Actually, all it means is that a runner with a dump stat  of AGI 1 is running at 5meters/round. (asuming 2 legs) It doesn't offer proof that the cyberlegs AGI is used.

The German version of Chrome Flesh clearly settles on the side that inherent limits and movement is based on the STR/AGI of the runner and not the cyberlimbs. And most (but I'll allow for some detractor out there) would agree the German versions of the rules are better than the English... albeit you need to be able to read German to use them. But for those who don't like the way cyberlimbs are treated in the current edition, the German rules offers an optional rule: the cyberlimbs effect inheret limits and movement for  those who replace all 4 limbs.

In any event, Chrome Flesh offers another partial solution for the people who want to go AGI or STR 1- it's called Redlinner  While it has it's drawbacks it increases the characters actual STR/AGI. So someone with STR 1 and 4 cyberlimbs would become STR 1(3) thus increasing his phsical limit and AGI 1 now be using 1(3) to determine movement,

AwesomenessDog

• Chummer
« Reply #31 on: <06-23-16/1438:40> »
This is old I know but here is my own two cents into the argument:

Since a person can also have digigrade legs installed we have the nail in the coffin of replacement theory because digigrade legs increase "the running speed multiplier... by 1 for each pair." (CF 87) which very clearly indicates that the leg is determining the AGI that speed is calculated off of.
Actually, all it means is that a runner with a dump stat  of AGI 1 is running at 5meters/round. (asuming 2 legs) It doesn't offer proof that the cyberlegs AGI is used.

The German version of Chrome Flesh clearly settles on the side that inherent limits and movement is based on the STR/AGI of the runner and not the cyberlimbs. And most (but I'll allow for some detractor out there) would agree the German versions of the rules are better than the English... albeit you need to be able to read German to use them. But for those who don't like the way cyberlimbs are treated in the current edition, the German rules offers an optional rule: the cyberlimbs effect inheret limits and movement for  those who replace all 4 limbs.

In any event, Chrome Flesh offers another partial solution for the people who want to go AGI or STR 1- it's called Redlinner  While it has it's drawbacks it increases the characters actual STR/AGI. So someone with STR 1 and 4 cyberlimbs would become STR 1(3) thus increasing his phsical limit and AGI 1 now be using 1(3) to determine movement,
Well it actually does still indicate that it's a replacement as its the leg (with digigrade legs mod) that is determining running speed, where if you get it in a real leg it modifies the real leg's rates and if it's cyber it modifies the cyberleg's rate. (As mentioned, you "replace" the limb ergo you replace the stat, you could still argue running is full body but you are still using the cyberleg agility with whatever else you are averaging.)

The houserule actually then settles the debate (thank you german version) since this thread was started with the question of "if i have replace all 4, how do i math myself?" Saving this link for later...

Redliner, I am fairly sure, would still apply to the cyber limbs as it's mechanics imply that you are weakening you cyberlimbs by overtweaking meaning you are tweaking said limbs as well as possibly your own body in other ways. Also, overly nitpicky but by super hardcore reading "per two full cyberarms and legs" would mean you only lose 3PC after you have replaced the full 4 limbs. That said, if you have the cyberarmor to cover the loss, it is a niceway to save two capacity and actually make cyberlimbs reach that Max+4 limit.

FancyDerek

• Newb
« Reply #32 on: <06-23-16/1745:24> »
Yes redlinner applies to the cyberlimb as well as your inherent stat.
I just singled out the actual stat augmentation for those who don't use the German optional rule as a way to increase movement and physical limit..

Adamo1618

« Reply #33 on: <06-24-16/0710:06> »
What I don't understand is why - considering this thread - melee weapon damage is based on Cyberarms. An example includes the Street Samurai sample character on page 112, CRB. As a martial artist, leg and torso movement are just as (if not more) important for me when delivering strikes.

AwesomenessDog

• Chummer
« Reply #34 on: <06-25-16/2130:48> »
What I don't understand is why - considering this thread - melee weapon damage is based on Cyberarms. An example includes the Street Samurai sample character on page 112, CRB. As a martial artist, leg and torso movement are just as (if not more) important for me when delivering strikes.
I imagine if you have a arm designed for punching, stabbing, etc. then the str upgrades you have in it are specially designed to "maximise" that impact to the point that your leg movements and other micromovements are only microly effective. Imagine like a pnumatic jack inside the lower part of the arm that extends with the punch. Although that begs the question, if you install a hydralic jack in your fist, can you send dudes flying?

It's also more reason to argue that agility of arm is the only thing used to attack and same with STR for recoil in one handed firearms, etc.

Register