NEWS

Updating the 6WA to SR5?

• 16 Replies

Ragnarok

• Omae
« on: <01-03-14/2106:11> »
Are there any plans to release years 2073-2075 for the 6WA?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <01-04-14/0200:27> »
Not that has been announced in the release section of books for shadowrun... and given the actual amount of time that has passed (3 years game time.... 2 years (?) Real world) I doubt it makes their list of important books to work on... (still need to get the new magic, arsenal, matrix books out, as well as the new metaplot books)

If you write them lots of glowing fan mail, they might get to it by 2015 or 2016...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-04-14/0301:29> »
Heh, Reaver is an optimist. ;) ;D
Tha Almanach of 4the Ed is still good & valid

HougH!
Medicineman

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

martinchaen

« Reply #3 on: <01-04-14/1059:41> »
The Edge of Now, which is included in the Alphaware intro box set might contain some info to bridge 6WA with SR5...

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <01-04-14/1910:20> »
Not that has been announced in the release section of books for shadowrun... and given the actual amount of time that has passed (3 years game time.... 2 years (?) Real world) I doubt it makes their list of important books to work on... (still need to get the new magic, arsenal, matrix books out, as well as the new metaplot books)

If you write them lots of glowing fan mail, they might get to it by 2015 or 2016...

With the Assassin's Primer being an SR5 product and ebook, it shouldn't be too difficult to do a short 6-pager for those 3 years, right?
« Last Edit: <01-04-14/2049:56> by Ragnarok »
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-04-14/2030:11> »
Sure. Write it up, do ALL the research from all the missions for those missing years, go through every single supplement that has been produced in those missing years, organize it into a chronological order. And submit it to Catalyst :p

Should only take you what? 100 hours? And Catalyst might slap a $5 price tag on it... and cut you in for $0.20 a copy sold... if you are lucky you MIGHT sell 2500 copies (based on the fact it is a tiny book, how many 6WA sold and how many people would buy it (I wouldn't myself)

net end IF you get $0.20 a copy and sell 2500 is.... you just made $5.00 an hour.

I personally don't get out of bed for anything less then $45/hr... but I am a high demand worker in a limited field currently experiencing unprecedented growth, and not a writer :D

So consider exactly how much time, blood, sweat, and tears go into making any RPG book you have before you decide to criticize the writers. Many of them do it for the live and passion they have for the game, and not to 'get rich' (many of them have an other full time  job to pay the bills!)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <01-04-14/2044:34> »
Sure. Write it up, do ALL the research from all the missions for those missing years, go through every single supplement that has been produced in those missing years, organize it into a chronological order. And submit it to Catalyst :p

Should only take you what? 100 hours? And Catalyst might slap a $5 price tag on it... and cut you in for $0.20 a copy sold... if you are lucky you MIGHT sell 2500 copies (based on the fact it is a tiny book, how many 6WA sold and how many people would buy it (I wouldn't myself)

net end IF you get $0.20 a copy and sell 2500 is.... you just made $5.00 an hour.

I personally don't get out of bed for anything less then $45/hr... but I am a high demand worker in a limited field currently experiencing unprecedented growth, and not a writer :D

So consider exactly how much time, blood, sweat, and tears go into making any RPG book you have before you decide to criticize the writers. Many of them do it for the live and passion they have for the game, and not to 'get rich' (many of them have an other full time  job to pay the bills!)

Where the frak did that come from?  Where in my last post did I ever criticize or belittle the writers?  All I pointed out was that the Assassin's Primer had been done.  I realize that they do it for the love and passion of the setting.  The only criticism I have for SR5 is the lack of a history chapter (the first out of 5 editions to do so).  And since I don't have any of the sourcebooks that detail the time period of 2073-2075, I was just asking a question.

Whatever it is that you think that $45/hr is the going rate for your services, you're overpaid!
« Last Edit: <01-04-14/2055:55> by Ragnarok »
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-04-14/2119:05> »
Sorry,  re-reading my own post, it does come off harsh and directed at you (which it shouldn't be... its more directed at a few individuals here that have.... a very narrow opinion of what it takes to write something)

In short, I apologize.  (But will not edit the post... I believe in standing behind my opinions and posts... for good and bad)

My point is: it's a lot more effort then you think it is, for probably very little return for both Catalyst and the writer, so I wouldn't get your hopes up. Heck, almost 20 years game time pasted between the timeline book published for the start of 3e and 6WA... so I wouldn't expect an other 6WA type book for a LONG time... or an update to 6WA for at least 5 to 7 more years game time.

As for what I do.... well you are enjoying the fruits of my (and others in my field) right now... and it is not a stretch to say, with out me and those in my field civilization as you know it ends pretty quickly!

(And $45/hr is the bare minimum I work for! I have been paid up to $975/hr... and that is because there are less then 2000 people in north america that have the skills, training, tools, and knowledge to do some of these high altitude, extreme weather, extreme isolation jobs just so you can have TV... or cell service... or electricity... or natural gas... or fuel for your car.)

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <01-04-14/2143:01> »
Reaver, thank you for the apology, it's just that the way that you attacked my query, it came out of left field.  I also applaud your integrity (I also believe in standing by one's statements, for good or for ill).  As for your assertion that I'm not aware of the amount of work it takes to write any sourcebook, I can honestly state that I am aware of the incredible amount of work that is involved: in a completely different setting, myself and two other individuals did two fan sourcebooks (and I won't go any further than that).  Even with the amount of work involved in it, it was incredibly fun work too.

As for what you do IRL, more power to you. 
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <01-06-14/1705:56> »
An atlas that covers the entire planet in a more logical organizational style would be far more valuable I think.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <01-06-14/1935:56> »
An atlas that covers the entire planet in a more logical organizational style would be far more valuable I think.

There already is an atlas in the 6WA.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <01-09-14/1838:17> »
Have you seen a real atlas?

Sixth World Almanac is a very good timeline and a underwhelming overview of some countries. It was clearly hampered by the freelancer upheaval during its development.

The map is pretty good though, albeit it's just the Blue Marble map and doesn't show Sixth World changes (such as the submerged Netherlands).

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #12 on: <01-09-14/2312:32> »

Sixth World Almanac is a very good timeline and a underwhelming overview of some countries. It was clearly hampered by the freelancer upheaval during its development.

The map is pretty good though, albeit it's just the Blue Marble map and doesn't show Sixth World changes (such as the submerged Netherlands).

Sounds like a project for you to work on.  And hey, maybe CGL will buy it from you!
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <01-09-14/2333:46> »

I have a 1963 Reader's Digest Great World Atlas (1st Edition, 232 pgs, 11x14.5 in), and a 1975 National Geographic Atlas of the World (4th Edition, 330 pgs, 12.5x17 in), so I do know what an atlas is.  While a true atlas of the 6WA would be great, the size of it would have been a nightmare to delegate.  I do consider the 6WA both an atlas and a 2072 History book (similar in scope to the Chronicle of the 20th Century that I also possess).  While I also was a little disappointed in the amount of information of select 6th World nations in it, I do consider it a must have in any Shadowrun rpg library.

- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Tzeentch

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <01-10-14/1901:22> »
Sounds like a project for you to work on.  And hey, maybe CGL will buy it from you!
-- I already did most of the hard work (digitizing all the borders and trying to make all the contradictory sources match) and published it as a geodatabase/KML for people to use. That includes the altered coastline of California and the Netherlands. I have the information in the Gamemaster Tools section.

-- If I find the time (hah!) I may do an updated SWA style map as well in various sizes (including wall map).

Register