NEWS

Emergence timeline

• 3 Replies

martinchaen

« on: <01-13-14/1152:44> »
I'm doing some research on the official timeline in the SR4 books, and I noticed a little bit of an inconsistency in Runner Havens.

According to the Jackpoint page, the current date is 2070-02-03. However, Glitch references a group of technomancers hiding out in the Whampoa in Kowloon City (page 28), to which Puck responds.

The trouble is this: Emergence, in which it becomes clear what technomancers really are, is dated 2070-08-07, and dated posts go as far as 2070-12-31; it is hinted at in the book that the events of Emergence conclude around the beginning of 2071.

Anyone know what might the cause of this?

Runner Havens is printed as FPR26005, while Emergence is printed as CAT26301; I suspect the transition from writers/publishers might be at fault, and either Runner Havens or Emergence is incorrectly dated or has been retconned.

Thoughts?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-13-14/1427:17> »
As I recall, the term "technomancer" was treated as pre-existing in Emergence - ie, at least some people already knew about them, though perhaps only deeper in the shadows.  But at large, Jackpoint's users are pretty deep in the shadows.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Valashar

• Omae
  • I'm always angry, but I usually hide it well.
« Reply #2 on: <01-13-14/1921:18> »
It's also important to note that all SR books with in-universe commentary take place over a length of time, not all at once on the jackpoint page date. And that comments added could be from a different time frame as the base post they're added to. The Hong Kong aspects of Emergence occurred very early in those events and the Hong Kong portion of Runner Havens took place later in that post series (the chapter order of a book indicates passing time, although does not provide a scale of how much time has passed), so there could very well be some overlap.
Shadowrun Missions: GenCon 2013

We groped the cat, and tazed the baby.

martinchaen

« Reply #3 on: <01-13-14/2318:35> »
Valashar I considered that, but Hong Kong is one of the middle events of Emergence , with the escape of 12 technomancers news story breaking on 2070-06-30, well after the comments made by Glitch in Runner Havens.

So far, I haven't found any dates in Runner Havens other than the Jackpoint page though, so you could very well be right for all we know. There's little to go on with regards to when the Runner Havens commentary is added.

RHat, good point. Though given how the majority of Jackpoint members react to the events of Emergence, I don't find it compelling enough proof.

Register